Ratings for Dr. Suzanne M. Hammer

I have been seeing Dr. Hammer for over 10 years now. Even now, although I have to pay out of pocket to see her since she does not accept my insurance, I still come to see her. Yes she is a bit strange, but who isn't that comes in to see a psychiatrist?! Weird understands weird. I wouldn't want to talk to anyone else.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

Dr. Hammer is a godsend for me and I would highly recommend her. She is patient and caring. This has encouraged much expression on my part that would otherwise remain hidden and unspoken. In response to other comments here, I found that all real change comes from this loosening of internal binds and is not elicited externally. Often I have wasted sessions by just not participating, but even these events have left me exploring questions raised.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2017

She's an odd person, but she's a psychiatrist, so I thought it went with the territory. She seems to be paranoid and often confronted me in a hostile tone over things she thought I was directing at her. She got increasingly impatient and overtly nasty when I experienced side effects from the meds. she prescribed. Very little "therapy" occurred. It started to feel like I was there to somehow validate her existence and if I didn't provide it, I would pay. I had been referred to her by my primary doctor, who said she was rated top doc, so I put up with this behavior far longer than I should've. My new doctor said it's common knowledge that she's uncaring and considered strange, but she's voted for awards because she is the only one willing to do association tasks that no one else will do. Thanks doctors. Put patients at risk to keep this disturbed lady busy with tasks you don't want to do. Way to go. I put up with this "doctor" for almost a year and almost offed myself because of her unprofessional behavior. She should not be allowed around people.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2016

I saw Dr Hammer for several months. I never went to a psychiatrist before so I thought I needed to give it a decent amount of time before making any comments. In retrospect, I should have left Dr Hammer a lot sooner. As I look back on my visits with her my precious time & money was completely wasted. I now know I was misdiagnose & she didn't help or didn't truly want to help me. I went to see her on recommendations from another doctor. Another thing that annoyed me was she over charged me for parking validation stickers! This is the first time I ever paid a doctor directly for parking validation stickers that she purchased from the independent parking management company that manages parking structure in her building. I discover this when I recently had an appointment with a different doctor in the same building. This new doctor mentioned that these parking validation stickers are inexpensive to purchase for the building's tenant & said there is another doctor in the building that makes money off her patients by charging her patients extra for each parking validation stickers. That;s when I realize that Dr Hammer did that on all my visits with her. I hope she doesn't do this anymore or hopefully reads this & realize how tacky and unethical it is to make a profit off of her own patients for a few extra dollars. It was usually under $5 per visit. But still it adds up. More importantly, it's a matter of principle. Patients seek doctors they can trust & rely on their helpful expertise. No one wants to get taken advantage of & not receive the help we are seeking. Isn't the doctor's first hypocrite oath is to do no harm?

flag | Submitted February 12, 2015

I followed all her suggestions & gave her months to help me but she didn't. It's upsetting that she spoke to my husband(also a MD) when he was my problem. I was very clear to her about the control & manipulation I was caught upped in. I wasn't sure whether he was emotionally & psychologically abusing me. But I brought it up many times to Dr Hammer that I wondered if that was happening. I realize now she probably didn't listen to me nor believe me. I stopped going to see her when she got irritated that I didn't know what is the cycle of abuse. The info she gave me was not what I'm learning now. I felt worst after that last visit & that delayed in my seeking further treatments for awhile. I'm suffering the repercussions of the untreated abuse but now I'm finally getting treatment I need.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2014

Saw her weekly for one year. She actually fell asleep during one visit...but I was extremely depressed, so kept going. I begged to be hospitalized, she wouldn't return calls. I finally called 911, was seen in the ER and hospitalized. They found me another psychiatrist who gave me a completely different diagnosis/different medications and I am much better!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2012

Dr Hammer was highly recommended. But I was sorely disappointed. First, her receptionist is condescending and rude--accused me of doing something I did NOT do; then when I pointed this out just shrugged off her accusation. Second, she prescribed me a new medication, and when I had serious reactions to it, I was unable to reach her--regardless of numerous calls and pages--until the next business day three days later. She does remove her shoes, and sits in front of you as aloof as if she is sitting down to watch a movie at home. I felt my appointments with her were just a way for her to pass the time as she waits to save up enough money to retire. There was no counseling or direction received, no assistance on how to cope with my condition. I would not recommend her to anyone who had serious issues.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2009

Accusing, arrogant, unsympathetic. First says drugs are needed. When drugs are taken as prescribed she says I am overusing them. Says she is available after hours when needed and then refuses help until business hours.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2008

Very unprofessional and innapropriate behavior with receptionist during the scheduling of my next appointment.Too casual,seemed uncaring and arrogant.Took shoes off during sessions.Presented her views as the only options. Prescribed strong drugs too quickly.Distant and distracted.Strange personality

flag | Submitted December 2, 2005

Over several months, I saw moodiness, suspiciousness, stiffness, overreliance on medications, argumentativeness, self-centeredness, even seemed sadistic at times. Dr, heal thyself! Went elsewhere to someone who seemed more stable. Hammer was more than a waste, she was a detriment. Quite troubling

flag | Submitted November 16, 2005

Dr. Suzanne M. Hammer's Credentials

• Michigan State University College Of Human Medicine (Grad. 1975)

MSP/BC Med