Ratings for Dr. Marietta A. Almazan

I know Dr. Alamazan saved my life. After a lifetime of repeated suited suicide attempts and very near succes dr. Alamazan properly diagnosed and treated me and I have stabilized moods with no wild swings.

Submitted May 18, 2016

On my initial visit I was handed a stack of paperwork to fill out regarding my mental state (i.e- deppression, anxiety, ect.) all of which were forms meant for the physician to fill out during a session as they were questions with specific instructions on how to rate the patient depending on each answer. I went into her room and spent approximately 10 minutes with her while she explained bipolar disorder complete with a pole she used to point at a poster of brain functions on her wall. She then handed me 2 other papers to include in my stack and said to fill out the paperwork and return for another appointment in a week. I spent almost an hour filling everything out and when I went back, she not only was 35 minutes late for my appointment, she literally glanced at the first 2 pages of the paperwork and decided I had severe depression and bipolar disorder and prescribed 5 different medications and sent me on my way to return in 2 weeks time. When I returned I told her that the medications were making me severely dizzy, lethargic, and unable to stay awake throughout the day she got very angry and screamed at me saying if I couldn't take all of the medications then there was nothing she could do to help me, stating she was the professional and I didn't know what I was talking about. I left her office feeling like I was completely worthless and that there was no hope. I never returned although the following week her receptionist called saying Dr. Almazon wanted me to schedule an appointment. Please do not see this woman she will only make any issues you have worse by over medicating you and literally screaming at you if you are unable to tolerate them.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2015

I agree with the others here who have said she doesn't listen, doesn't make sense and gets defensive and abusive if you challenge her in any way. I too have written a letter of complaint to both my insurance company and her liscensing board. I walked out of my initial session with her and the experience left me feeling worse than when I went in.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

Dr. Almazan will subscribe tons of medications. I had become lethargic after all the medications she gave me. She gets very offended when I made suggestions. From time to time, she is compassionate; however, she has temper and gets very annoyed with questions. I had to go take full psychiatric evaluations somewhere else and found out that I had none of the situations she said I had. I later found out, almost everyone that goes to see her is diagnosed as bipolar. If you are bipolar, she might be the person to see as it seems like that is her specialty; however, hopefully you have thick skin and be prepared to spend Max. of 15 minutes with her. Another annoying stuff about the practice: ** You will be charged for refilling prescription. You will have to have all your prescription filled at your visit, if she messes up and gives you less then she will charge you for filling out prescription. ** If you ask for medical records to be sent to another doctor, be prepared to pay $35.00. I thought it was ridiculous. I was being treated there for over a year before I realized I was being over medicated and needed second opinion. I basically PAID TO GET OUT!

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

She is cold, in your face and never smiles. When I first came to see her I was on one medication and within two months she had me on 4. When I told her I was concerned that I was on too many medications and asked her why I should keep taking them when I don't notice any change she became very defensive and said "I am the expert, you need to trust me. I don't pull anything out." How does that make sense? And the medications she presribed me were't even appropriate to treat my condition, which is depression. She prescribed me lithium, trileptal and lamotrigine. Lithium? I'm not schizophrenic! And 2 mood stabilizers? My mood is stable it is just consistently low. If you use marijuana don't even bother trying or don't tell her. I did and she threatened to report me to my insurance company. I was receiving a very expensive treatment for depression called TMS at the time and she said that if my insurance company knew that I was using marijuana, that they would stop authorizing sessions.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2014

I have talked to psychiatrists that claim that this person should be banned from practicing and needs mental help herself. My experience was terrible. She hardly talked to me before going into a closet to throw several medication samples at me. Her office is less of a center for mental health treatment and more of an advertisement for her book. After waiting for 30 mins for an appointment I asked the receptionist for my co-pay back and told her I had to get back to work since I had scheduled my 30 min appointment on my lunch break. Almazan then came out of her office and said she would see me after completely missing my appointment. When I refused due to my work schedule, she threw up her arms and instructed her receptionist to keep my co-pay and bill me for a missed appointment. Almazan is harmful to her clients and the mental health community. A few months later, I felt lucky to find a "real" psychiatrist who actually helped me.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2013

I would never recommend her to anyone. She jumps to the bipolar diagnosis before getting to know you. Everyone is bipolar in her eyes. I am suffering while on Lamictal and Trileptal and causes high anxiety. Stay away! She is bad news. If you question her motives she yells and lectures you on how she is the expert not you.

flag | Submitted December 23, 2011

Thanks to Dr Almazan I was able to cope with my depression and anxiety disorder. she is very caring and compassionate. I'm grateful I found her.

Submitted October 28, 2011

Dr. Almazan helped my husband and myself when no else could. Part of therapy is trying to find the meds that work. Nothing happens overnight.

Submitted July 28, 2011

CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND FILE A GRIEVANCE. I was seen by Dr. Almazan and received the same treatment as others have written below. She tried to diagnose me as Bi-polar, as she had just written a book about the disease. She NEVER listened to what I had to say, told me I needed to take the sedatives she had prescribed me for the rest of my life and has sold my name to a credit bureau for a late appointment charge one year ago. Please- call your insurance company and the medical board to address her complete inadequacy and unprofessionalism. She should NOT be practicing medicine and I hope that no one has to endure the confusion and pain that she causes her patients.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2010

Dr. Marietta A. Almazan's Credentials

• Far Eastern Univ, Dr N Reyes Med Fndn Inst Of Med, Manila, Philippines (Grad. 1979)

Kaiser-Permanente