Ratings for Dr. David J. Medford

Most reviews are written by the patients themselves, but I'm writing as the daughter, the primary caretaker of the family, and the legal healthcare proxy of my 69-year-old parents. Because my parents' native tongue is Mandarin Chinese, I make every effort to accompany them to every medical appointment. I serve as their "Uber" driver and translator (if needed). If you knew me personally, you would know how serious I am when it comes to recommendations, especially when it comes to matters of health and wellness. In the past 5 years, I have directly cared for my best friend and extended family through a myriad of surgeries and treatments for various cancers, spinal injuries, and critical illnesses. Finding the right doctors/surgeons can be a full time job, but the right fit is what ensures the patient's path to his/her "miracle" recovery. Great medical credentials on paper is one thing, but the attitude/demeanor of the doctor is equally if not more important than competency alone. I waited until today to share my thoughts on Dr. Medford and his team because it is a full month after my parents' respective cataract surgeries. Both of my parents needed cataract surgeries for both eyes. They had seen other opthamologists for the past several years, but I would raise concerns about those visits. My parents felt obligated to stick to those doctors because they were recommended by their friends. When my parents' eyesight worsened, I took a more definitive stance with my parents and encouraged them to please see Dr. Medford for an additional opinion. I had researched extensively online and he had an impressive number of reviews with detailed narratives to make them credible. Few things are as useless as a 5 star rating without meaningful comments. This isn't merely buying takeout for dinner. Dr. Medford has 3 office locations. We had to see him at the Denville, NJ office for the initial appointment because my parents were "new patients". The second visit was at Morristown, NJ to prepare for the first of two cataract surgeries. The surgery took place at Ridgedale Surgery Center in Cedar Knolls, NJ. We had a "post op" appointment the day after surgery, and once again, a week after surgery. The doctor and staff will give you written instructions on what to do 3 days before surgery and how to take care of the patient after surgery. We followed those instructions religiously, and I'm happy to report that both my parents enjoyed flawless recoveries! The final "post op" appointment takes place approximately 4 to 6 weeks after surgery at the office location of your choice. (Note: If you need cataract surgery for both eyes, you will wait at least 2 weeks between the two surgeries.) My parents were delightfully surprised by three things: (1) the eye surgery was over before they thought it had even started, (2) there were no scary needles to the eye, and (3) they could see clearly so quickly. My dad's eyesight improved within the first day, whereas my mom's eyesight gradually improved over a week. They are both enjoying their newfound sight, often commenting how beautiful the trees and flowers are. They also make a competitive game out of any road trip. "I can read that sign! Can you?" As you can tell from the length of this review alone, we cannot be more appreciative of Dr. Medford, his surgical coordinator (Kelli), and the extended team of nurses and staff. Excellence is a team effort! Every interaction is professional and courteous. Dr. Medford sprinkles his sense of humor into the medical assessment, and he's open to showing curious family members what cataracts look like via the microscope. He's direct about what is important and what is not; clarity of communication goes a long way in managing the patient's expectations and worries! My parents recommend Dr. Medford to all of their friends now, even those who don't need eye surgeries. Most of my friends are in New York City, but a few are seriously considering making the trip to NJ if they want a trusted second opinion. I wish you and your loved ones a smooth road to recovery; you will be in excellent hands with Dr. Medford!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2018

I was recommended to Dr. Medford by a co-worker. She was pleased with her cataract surgery and so I am. The office visits (pre and post-surgery) were efficient and I was well informed. I had early-morning appointments for everything (including surgery since I am hypoglycemic) and each appointment was “on-time.” I would heartily recommend Dr. Medford for eye surgery. It seems a miracle to me to see vividly again. Thanks Dr. Medford!

flag | Submitted June 20, 2018

Dr. Medford is a true professional. He gives you all the information and your choices on cataract surgery, and will take the time to ensure you fully understand the procedure. The procedure itself was painless, and my new eyesight is a revelation. In addition, the office staff as well as the staff at the Ridgedale Surgical Center are very courteous, efficient and helpful. My wife and I both have had cataract surgery, and give Dr. Medford our highest recommendation.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2018

Great experience. I can see again and look forward to a better golf game.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2018

A knowledgeable and skillful surgeon with excellent bedside manner and a thorough and friendly demeanor. He made the cataract surgery experience go smoothly and comfortably for me.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2018

I became a patient of Dr Medford about 5 years ago because he was so highly recommended by other doctors. He is very thorough and up to date. My two cataract surgeries this year by Dr Medford were performed with state-of-the-art equipment and expertise. The process was simple and painless for me, and without complication. I am very happy with the results!

flag | Submitted April 9, 2018

Dr. David Medford recently did my second cataract surgery, and my vision has dramatically improved. After Dr. Medford patiently and thoroughly explained the options, I chose the Symfony lens because of its extended range. Not only is my far vision sharp and clear, but my near vision is such that I need little or in some situations no correction for reading. Dr. Medford answered all my questions before and after surgery, and everyone in his office is pleasant and efficient, as are the staff at the Ridgedale Surgery Center.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2018

I would highly recommend Dr. Medford and is whole team. Everything went well in surgery and everything was explained clearly and pleasantly. Top notch personnel both in the office and at the surgical center. Blair MacInnes

flag | Submitted March 28, 2018

I had an amazing experience with Dr. Medford performing cataract surgery these past two months. It was obviously necessary surgery and the doctor and staff explained the procedure many times to make certain I understood exactly what the procedure would involve. During the entire procedure everyone was so calming and explained exactly what they would be doing and how it would feel. As they promised, it was pain free and very quick! My vision is what I remember as a 10 year old!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2018

I had cataract surgery last year one in June of 2017 and one in July of 2017. Dr. Medford as was Kelli made my experience very easy . I can't say enough about Dr. Medford his staff and surgical scheduler. I can also say the same for Ridgedale Surgical Center.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2018

Dr. David J. Medford's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Med Sch, Newark Nj 07103 (Grad. 1984)

Delta Dental