Ratings for Dr. David J. Medford

Dr. Medford saved my eyesight by sending me for an MRI of my brain based the results of my eye tests. A benign growth was timely discovered before permanent damage to my eyesight was done. Thanks to his thorough testing I had a great outcome.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2018

Dr. Medford has performed cataract surgery on both of my eyes. The improvement in my eyesight is amazing. Dr. Medford is extremely patient and takes the time to thoroughly explain the details of what will happen on the day of your surgery. His staff is also very knowledgeable . I completely trust him to take the best care of my eyes and you should too!

flag | Submitted October 17, 2018

I chose Dr. Medford as my ophthalmologist and for my recent cataract surgery based on his long-standing reputation for excellence in his field. I highly recommend him not only for his knowledge and skill but also for his empathic engagement with his patients. Both he and his staff were generous and kind. Because I have prior retina issues, I was extremely and unnecessarily apprehensive before the surgery and during the healing process. Dr. Medford never dismissed my concerns. He addressed and assuaged every single one returning my calls even on the weekends. It feels magical now having the gift of 20/20 vision. Thank you Dr. Medford, you are a wonder. I am grateful to your supportive and competent staff and also to those who assisted at the Ridgedale Medical Center for making my experience a calm and comfortable one.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2018

Dr. Medford is very exacting. Just what I want in a physician who's going to be treating my eyes! He's not particularly social ;=), but he's focused on providing the best care.!!!! That's exactly what I want. I had monocular vision, where I could distance better with one eye and close-up with the other. I was able to keep that ability. I was having trouble with reading and night driving, and now can do both without glasses. I have a prescription that I may fill, because I love to read and sometimes my eyes get tired after a lot of reading. I'm extremely grateful for the improvement in my vision!!!! Night driving in rain and dark???--- it's okay now. I have started referring my friends to Dr. Medford.

flag | Submitted September 21, 2018

What a difference cataract surgery has made in the quality of my life Vision is so important and now I can see everything. I now only need glasses for reading and can even read the TV screen without them. Thank you Dr. Medford and staff. I highly recommend this surgery.

flag | Submitted September 19, 2018

I had cataract surgery with lens replacement and I can now see without glasses! It is miraculous for me because I was severely nearsighted. Dr. Medford clearly explained the procedure and I am so happy with the outcome. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2018

I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes. Dr. Medford and his staff were wonderful with explaining every step of the way. I left every visit with a complete understanding of what to expect prior to, during, and after surgery. I don't know why I waited so long to have it done! Thank you!

flag | Submitted August 16, 2018

When I needed cataract surgery, my wife who is an RN, began researching the qualifications of many different ophthalmologists and found Dr. Medford's credentials very impressive. I traveled 45 miles each way from my home for the appointments. I found Dr. Medford and all of his staff to be really professional and very helpful. I now have 20/20 vision, no side effects and no complications I was back on the golf course in a week. It is so important to choose the right doctor!

flag | Submitted August 5, 2018

A totally pleasant experience with Dr. Medford from start to finish. I had both eyes done and both surgeries went flawlessly. I would recommend him to anyone for eye surgery.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2018

Most reviews are written by the patients themselves, but I'm writing as the daughter, the primary caretaker of the family, and the legal healthcare proxy of my 69-year-old parents. Because my parents' native tongue is Mandarin Chinese, I make every effort to accompany them to every medical appointment. I serve as their "Uber" driver and translator (if needed). If you knew me personally, you would know how serious I am when it comes to recommendations, especially when it comes to matters of health and wellness. In the past 5 years, I have directly cared for my best friend and extended family through a myriad of surgeries and treatments for various cancers, spinal injuries, and critical illnesses. Finding the right doctors/surgeons can be a full time job, but the right fit is what ensures the patient's path to his/her "miracle" recovery. Great medical credentials on paper is one thing, but the attitude/demeanor of the doctor is equally if not more important than competency alone. I waited until today to share my thoughts on Dr. Medford and his team because it is a full month after my parents' respective cataract surgeries. Both of my parents needed cataract surgeries for both eyes. They had seen other opthamologists for the past several years, but I would raise concerns about those visits. My parents felt obligated to stick to those doctors because they were recommended by their friends. When my parents' eyesight worsened, I took a more definitive stance with my parents and encouraged them to please see Dr. Medford for an additional opinion. I had researched extensively online and he had an impressive number of reviews with detailed narratives to make them credible. Few things are as useless as a 5 star rating without meaningful comments. This isn't merely buying takeout for dinner. Dr. Medford has 3 office locations. We had to see him at the Denville, NJ office for the initial appointment because my parents were "new patients". The second visit was at Morristown, NJ to prepare for the first of two cataract surgeries. The surgery took place at Ridgedale Surgery Center in Cedar Knolls, NJ. We had a "post op" appointment the day after surgery, and once again, a week after surgery. The doctor and staff will give you written instructions on what to do 3 days before surgery and how to take care of the patient after surgery. We followed those instructions religiously, and I'm happy to report that both my parents enjoyed flawless recoveries! The final "post op" appointment takes place approximately 4 to 6 weeks after surgery at the office location of your choice. (Note: If you need cataract surgery for both eyes, you will wait at least 2 weeks between the two surgeries.) My parents were delightfully surprised by three things: (1) the eye surgery was over before they thought it had even started, (2) there were no scary needles to the eye, and (3) they could see clearly so quickly. My dad's eyesight improved within the first day, whereas my mom's eyesight gradually improved over a week. They are both enjoying their newfound sight, often commenting how beautiful the trees and flowers are. They also make a competitive game out of any road trip. "I can read that sign! Can you?" As you can tell from the length of this review alone, we cannot be more appreciative of Dr. Medford, his surgical coordinator (Kelli), and the extended team of nurses and staff. Excellence is a team effort! Every interaction is professional and courteous. Dr. Medford sprinkles his sense of humor into the medical assessment, and he's open to showing curious family members what cataracts look like via the microscope. He's direct about what is important and what is not; clarity of communication goes a long way in managing the patient's expectations and worries! My parents recommend Dr. Medford to all of their friends now, even those who don't need eye surgeries. Most of my friends are in New York City, but a few are seriously considering making the trip to NJ if they want a trusted second opinion. I wish you and your loved ones a smooth road to recovery; you will be in excellent hands with Dr. Medford!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2018

Dr. David J. Medford's Credentials

• Umdnj-New Jersey Med Sch, Newark Nj 07103 (Grad. 1984)

UnitedHealthcare