Ratings for Dr. Michael Greenbaum

Dr. Greenbaum was an extremely kind, humble old gentlemen who I felt was very adept at dealing with my symptoms & distress with an appropriate level of professionalism & compassion. Being in the care of a practitioner like Dr. Greenbaum was ideal for me, as I lacked insight into my own condition, and it was only through his analytic & inquisitive style that a proper diagnosis was able to be pinpointed. I thank him for his generosity in lowering his gap fee to help members of indigent communities, such as myself, as without this I may not have been able to get the assistance I needed. He deserves much more than this mere review for his services, but alas, this is all I can give. Thank you once again Dr. Greenbaum if you read this!

flag | Submitted August 2, 2018

I saw Dr Greenbaum around ten times over the course of four years. He was always kind and compassionate, with a genuine interest in helping me get well. At the start, he offered to reduce his gap fee considerably, as I didn't have a lot of money at the time. Very kind. I have bipolar disorder and he helped me manage it and put things into perspective when things got hard. Yes, he often seemed distracted, and often on the verge of falling asleep. He's old. I feel like after several decades of practice, he's developed a sort of mental shorthand for assessing patients and recommending treatments. So even though it might not feel like he's totally in the room, chances are he'll still have the right advice or script for you. He's not so much a talk therapy doctor, not in my experience anyway. Although when we do have longer conversations, he has incredible insight and has given me thoughts and ideas that have helped me. His focus is getting you well, and medication - for me anyway - seemed to be his preferred first line approach. If they did the trick, it seemed he felt, what need is there for a longer conversation? My advice is if you are solutions focused, comfortable with medications, don't mind shorter consults, and can look past the idiosyncrasies of an ageing, but highly skilled and experienced psychiatrist, you might find Dr Greenbaum a good fit. Because fit is what it's all about at the end of the day.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2017

I have suffered alone for approximately 40 years with illness hence alcohol and drug abuse! I am 48 years old and have been to many doctors, psychologists and psychiatrists and it has been a revolving door! I have seen Doctor Greenbaum only once and he gave me medication and it has changed my life within days. This man is truly a genius and I look forward to my next visit!

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

I was under this man for approximately five years. I saw him every six weeks. The consultations never lasted more than ten minutes. He would greet me with, "How's the drinking going?" and "How's your garden?" At this stage of my life I neither consumed alcohol, nor liked gardening. In fact my back yard was nearly two metres high with Kikuyu grass. On admission to hospital in 1998 he took three days to see me. I said, "I think that we should think about changing my medication", to which he replied, "Why?". I said, "Because it's obvious that this one is not working". After discovering that he was billing WorkCover for an hour's consultation for my maximum of ten minutes, I moved on and have received excellent Psychiatric care elsewhere.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

I had taken time off from my full time job to attend my first appointment. I was informed that Dr Greenbaum would have to move my appointment due to personal matters. The second appointment (being the first available) the receptionist booked me in for was a day I could not take off work having already altered my schedule to see him. The third appointment I was again able to alter my busy schedule to attend and unfortunately missed my bus due to a late running train. I was coldly informed by the receptionist that ' he wouldn't be rebooking with me as it was the third time, despite the first two missed appointments being out of my control. I promptly cancelled any further bookings, as I was left disappointed and humiliated.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2016

Warning! One of the worst psychiatrists in Melbourne!! Hooks patients on benzo's, falls asleep during consults which are short. Never writes things down, you have to repeat yourself every time you see him which is traumatising. He doesn't care. I understand he is old but if you're falling asleep, perhaps its time to retire!! Doesn't tell you drug side effects. Useless like most of the doctors at his practice like Dr Gregor Schutz. Stay away, they just make you more sick.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

Dr Greenbaum forgot what we were discussing the previous week. He nodded off whilst I was consulting him. When I asked if I was boring him he stood up and turned the heater off completely ignoring my comment.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

Has given me xanax to manage my symptoms. Given other peoples eviews, im worried about the side effects now and was not told about the addictive nature.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2016

Not impressed at all, I am Continuously rejected and feel I am not worthy of consultation with Mr Greenbaum, He forgets a great deal about his patients and I personally find in humilliating

flag | Submitted August 19, 2016

Dr Greenbaum is knowledgeable and insightful but can be also quite judgmental - sometimes it feels like he denies the validity of your thoughts and opinions which I can imagine would be quite frustrating and distressing for some patients. Sometimes you just need to feel that someone that understands you.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2016