Ratings for Dr. Robert J. Zehr

Two years ago, I was referred to Dr. Zehr for treatment of my arthritic knees, caused by years of playing baseball as a catcher. For two years, Dr. Zehr treated me conservatively. Finally, the time came when conservative care did not eliminate my severe and debilitating pain. Dr. Zehr recommended a partial left knee replacement. The surgery was done at the SeaSide Surgery Center on June 13, 2018. I am 9 days post-op and have almost full range of motion in my left knee without any appreciable pain. This knee will continue to improve over the next few weeks and I will be golfing again within 4 weeks of surgery. I was wise to trust my care to Dr. Zehr, an outstanding surgeon who is as good as I was told he was. In fact, he's better. The best! I would be remiss if I didn't commend Dr. Zehr's staff. Kind, compassionate and attentive, they are fabulous. If you need knees or hips, Dr. Zehr is the right surgeon for you.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2018

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Thank you for taking the time to submit this sincere testimonial, especially for pointing out that we began with conservative treatment for your knee pain. It's always best to keep your own joint for as long as possible. We're pleased with your progress - sounds like you are too!

Submitted August 22, 2018

I had suffered with pain for seven long years and tried to always work through it. I didn’t stop my normal routines, but they became harder to perform and I finally realized I no longer had the life I wanted for myself or those that cared about me. My final attempt was physical therapy, which helped me rebuild muscle strength, but it would never solve the problem. I asked others I knew that had hip replacement and considered all these doctors, but after discussing with my Physical Therapist Doctor about the scores of people he had worked with and the results he had seen, my decision was made. The final comment this doctor gave me was “ if I had to wait a year to get Dr. Zehr, I would wait.” It took about a month to get my appointment and within another month, due to vacations, I had my surgery. Two days in the hospital and home with rehab at the house. To say anything but Dr. Zehr gave me my life back would not be sufficient. I was mobile and no pain in a couple days walking with a cane which I quickly removed from my walks. In a month since surgery, I am pain free walking 1.5 - 2 miles daily and back to my life. No restrictions! I would highly recommend Dr. Zehr and his wonderful staff.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2019

I was told by many of my tennis friends Dr. Zehr at the Zehr Center for Orthopedics was the only surgeon I should consider for my hip replacement. His anterior approach to total hip replacement allowed patients to recover more quickly. They were right! Dr. Zehr's staff at Landmark Hospital had me up walking the same day I had the anterior approach hip replacement. The entire experience from the first consult in the office to my six week followup was nothing but professional and positive. I was driving my car by the 9th day and I haven't stopped since. I have gotten my active lifestyle back pain free. The first time I got down on the floor to play with my 2 year old grandson after my hip replacement he said, "Memo, your hip all better?! I was so happy to tell him, "My hip all better! Thank you Dr. Zehr and your entire staff for helping me get my life back. Sherri Kelly Wolfe

flag | Submitted June 19, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Out of the mouths of babes! Thank you for your kind review Sherry, so glad to hear you're active again (and on the floor!!)

Submitted June 20, 2019

Dr. Zehr runs his office like clockwork. I never waited more than 3-5 minutes for any of my appointments with him including my surgery. He did a partial knee replacement and after 6 weeks I am back golfing with full range of motion. Every other Doctor wanted to replace my full knee...because that is all they know how to do. Dr. Zehr said I was a perfect candidate for a partial knee replacement even though he performs full knee replacements as well. This saved me money, recovery time and my knee feels very natural and has full range of motion just like my good knee. I highly recommend Dr. Zehr.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
You know the old adage - "if it ain't broke..." ;-) Thank you for your recommendation! We're glad partial knee surgery was the cure for you!

Submitted May 17, 2019

After suffering for years , I started to do my homework / I talked to everybody I knew who had hip replacement surgery and watched them working out at gym and how well they moved thru space and I’m not talking spring chickens ! When I asked who there surgeon was they all replied Dr Robert ZEHR , that led me to the viedos that are on line made my appt was very impressed by the attention to detail ( think no stone overturned) had my surgery ( walked in walked out ) amazing , ten days later walking ( cane ) and able to drive ( no painkillers ) still some minor discomfort , but motivated to just get so much better , I hope this honest evaluation helps the next patient facing this very important decision choose the Zehr team , my very heartfelt thanks to dr Zehr and great team making a difficult life decision easy

flag | Submitted May 3, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Thank you for sharing the details of your hip replacement. We're glad our online videos helped you to make the right decision!

Submitted May 5, 2019

I was very fortunate to find Dr. Zehr, and through the office visits, anterior hip replacement and rehab, I am back to doing normal things 5 weeks after surgery. Cannot ask for more than that.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
We love hearing progress reports like yours! Congratulations on doing the hard work - the rehab!

Submitted May 5, 2019

Most gifted surgeon. Truly professional physician and staff.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Thank you! We appreciate you taking the time to review the ZCO.

Submitted March 29, 2019

First truly professional service I have experienced in Naples.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2019

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Thank you for your rating and your comment! We're pleased that our dedication to professionalism was of great benefit to you.

Submitted February 24, 2019

Dr. Zehr and his entire staff are incredibly pleasant to work with. Dr. Zehr has wonderful bedside manner with a great sense of humor. The entire experience was easy. The professionalism outstanding. My surgery was a huge success. The follow up care thorough. Once surgery was decided on, every step of what was to come next was spelled out.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2018

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
You certainly hit the high points in your review and we thank you for your kind and positive words of testimony!

Submitted January 21, 2019

Best knee surgeon around. Excellent results. Highly recommend.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2018

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's response
Thank you for your recommendation! We're pleased your outcome was so successful.

Submitted November 26, 2018

Dr. Robert J. Zehr's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Robert J. Zehr, MD is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon and the founder of The Zehr Center for Orthopaedics, a private orthopaedic surgery practice located in Naples, Florida. He specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery, complex revision joint surgery, knee arthroscopy and trauma reconstruction. He pioneered the direct anterior approach to hip replacement in the Southwest Florida area and has conducted over 1,800 of those surgeries to date. Dr. Zehr has over 30 years of orthopaedic surgical experience in complex joint reconstruction and rehabilitation, having been in both the academic environment of the Cleveland Clinic for 15 years and private practice for the past 10 years. Prior to being sent to Southwest Florida in 1998 to help develop the Cleveland Clinic Naples, Dr. Zehr was the Head of Orthopaedic Oncology for The Cleveland Clinic Foundation where he came on staff after a prestigious fellowship in orthopaedic oncology at the University of Florida and his residency training at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Dr. Zehr achieved further career success while an attending physician at the Cleveland Clinic Naples, where he distinguished himself as its Executive Director, Chief of Staff and Head of Orthopaedic Surgery while maintaining a full and thriving surgical practice. With the abrupt departure of the Cleveland Clinic from the Naples, Florida area, but still wanting to practice in the Southwest Florida community where he had practiced since 1998, Dr. Zehr began his new venture into solo orthopaedic practice in late 2007. His highly successful joint replacement practice has positioned him as the highest volume hip replacement surgeon in Collier County and the leader in outpatient joint replacement surgery through Seaside Surgery Center. In addition to his private practice and surgery center, Dr. Zehr has been named Chief of Surgery for Landmark Hospital of Southwest Florida and Medical Director of The Joint Care Center at Landmark. Dr. Zehr is also a consulting surgeon for Arthrex, Inc., a global medical device company and leader in new product development and medical education in orthopedics. Although it is extremely important to know where your surgeon trained and his years of experience, it is perhaps more important to know what his peers and patients think of him. By virtue of the many awards and honors of recognition that have been bestowed upon Dr. Zehr consistently through the years, you can be confident that the many patients who have gone before you are extremely satisfied with their care. In addition, most of these accolades are achieved through peer nomination where the many physicians who have selected Dr. Zehr for these awards were asked “to whom would they send their own family?” In the tradition of superior care and innovation, Robert J. Zehr, MD was recognized by one of the most distinguished physician rating services in the country, Best Doctors, Inc. to be included once again in the Best Orthopedic Doctors in America database for 2016-2017, an honor he has received every year since 1998. This annual list is compiled from surveys of physicians asking them who they would go to for treatment in their specialty. The result is a proprietary database of more than 53,000 medical experts in over 450 specialties and subspecialties worldwide. An exhaustive peer-review survey by thousands of doctors determines the physicians in this database. Only those who earn the consensus support of their peers are included. Doctors cannot buy listings. For this reason, inclusion in the Best Doctors in America database is a remarkable honor. Castle-Connolly Medical, Ltd – publishers of America's Top Doctors – has recognized Dr. Zehr as one of the top treating orthopaedic surgeons in Southwest Florida from 2004-2018. Castle-Connolly considers the following criteria to determine a doctor's eligibility for inclusion in America’s Top Doctors: professional qualifications, education, residency, board certification, fellowships, professional reputation, hospital appointment, medical school faculty appointment, experience, and disciplinary history. Consumer’s Research Council of America, a Washington, D.C. based research organization which provides consumers’ information guides for professional services throughout America, has rated Dr. Zehr nationally as one of America's Top Orthopedists for the years 2002-2017. Its purpose is to help educate and assist consumers in obtaining the finest professional services. Every month, more than 200,000 patients across the U.S. provide online feedback about their doctor experiences. They rate the various components of the care they receive, such as bedside manner, doctor-patient time, follow-up care, ease of appointment setting, courtesy of office staff, and they also share their overall opinions. From this data the very top scoring physicians are chosen for the “Patients’ Choice Award.” Over the course of 2018, hundreds of thousands of patient reviews were written and shared. While physicians generally receive positive feedback from their patients, only a select few consistently receive rave reviews. Of those with high praise, only physicians with near-perfect scores receive this honor. In fact of the nations 870,000 active physicians, only 5% were accorded this honor by their patients in 2018; only 1% have achieved five consecutive awards. Dr. Zehr has been chosen by his patients for this award every year since 2009. In addition to the Patients’ Choice Award, Dr. Zehr once again earned accolades in 2018 as one of “America’s Most Compassionate Doctors.” Fewer than 3% of the nation’s 870,000 active physicians were accorded this honor by their patients in 2018. This is truly a people’s choice award. In Southwest Florida, Gulfshore Life Magazine has honored Dr. Zehr as one of a select few best orthopedic surgeons in its annual “Top Doctors” awards for the years 2004-2018. Gulfshore Life Magazine partners with Castle-Connolly Medical in New York to develop a list of the top-tier doctors in each specialty, that is, those physicians most highly recommended in Collier, Lee and Charlotte counties each year. Dr. Zehr consistently earns top ratings and rankings on several online review websites. The culmination of these peer and patient generated ratings is Dr. Zehr’s inclusion in the American Registry’s list of “America’s Most Honored Professionals 2018 – Top 1%.” In addition, Dr. Zehr instituted the highly acclaimed Cleveland Clinic Naples “Joint Club” which cohesively coordinated the many individual talents of hospital nursing, physical therapy, case management and surgery with outpatient pre-operative treatment, bringing them into a well orchestrated and seamless educational experience. This team effort let the patient focus exclusively on returning to life’s activities after joint replacement surgery. The Orthopaedic Center of Excellence was a “Premier Site” for this system of patient care and was visited by national and international dignitaries and surgeons desiring to improve their patient care and management. His extensive experience as leader, researcher and surgeon keeps Dr. Zehr in high demand as a speaker locally, nationally and internationally. He has spoken, operated or taught in Germany, Italy, Canada and Great Britain. He has written extensively on skeletal reconstruction, but enjoys educating individual patients on their specific orthopaedic problems. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a Diplomate of the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons, a member in good standing in the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons and the Florida Orthopaedic Society, the Florida Medical Society and the Collier County Medical Society.

• English

• St. Louis University (Grad. 1985)

• Arthroscopy
  • Hip replacement
  • Knee replacement
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Knee pain

• "Best Doctors in America" 2018
  • Consumer's Research Council of America "America's Top Orthopedists" 2002 - 2018
  • GulfShore Life Magazine's "Top Docs" 2004 - 2018