Ratings for Dr. Boris A. Konnikow

likes to hear his own voice very long winded and goes off on tangents all the time. experiments with your medication while you suffer like some lab rat. He will pull out the chair t=in the begining At least an hour late

flag | Submitted February 28, 2018

I Have ten years of experience with Dr. Konnikow. I Watched him for two years Pokerface and cold. Never cried and rarely laughed. He laughs at his own jokes before you can hear the punchline First I thought it was his accent I am an accomplished artist and showed at the Guggenheim twice. He only knows the first time I was the youngest woman so far. I went to Hunter College for my M.A. During that time I was raped in my studio and moved to Forest Hills to be safe. I worked 10 more years before I showed signs of PTSD and could not handle loud noises and could not teach anymore. in intake with Konnikow, he said he had to extract traumas from my memory and move on. We never spoke about this again! I can remember conversations verbatim. I also studied psychology from age 8. I Read all of Freud, except one difficult article to get. Jung, very important for art, Karen Horney, Dolland-Maxwell plus several other people in many fields, poetry art music, architecture.i had the pleasure of working at 17 with Dr. Alexander Broden the head of the American Psychiatric Institution. I Got into Pratt institution, worked and paid for my own sessions on Park Ave at the same time. Dr. Konnikow did not help me move forward at all. I totally stagnated and got addicted to his drugs which took my internist a year to detox me He tested my loyalty. I wasted 10 years listening to his history and knowledge of medicine. He has no boundaries, and mostly terrified young anorexic young women that do not last long do to his ugly temper a jealous wife. He now has a mature woman a foot taller that does not back down named NELLY

flag | Submitted December 14, 2017

Excellent and an extremely knowledgeable doctor. Not true what's been said in other posts that he's reserved or condescending. Not true. A very warm personable doctor who truly cares about his patients and the outcomes of his treatments. Not afraid to try out different medications, and open to altering treatment when certain medications work better than others. An old school doctor in terms of the time and attention he's willing to offer to a patient - a rarity in our busy world. Also, never tries to entice you into coming back, totally cool with seeing patients whenever THEY need him. Never judgmental and open to discussing anything in your life.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Dr. Konnikow is very knowledgeable and educated about psychopharmacology. He has never spoken to me in a condescending manner. You will, however, have to wait up to an hour to see him because he runs an hour behind schedule. His assistant is very organized and pleasant and returns our phone calls. He has a slight tendency to over-prescribe pills. For example, I had a Vitamin D deficiency (results from a blood test) and instead of taking the Vitamin D, he was going to give me a pill for it. I refused and he said a woman my age should get 5,000 grs. of Vitamin D today, so I bought a bottle at the Vitamin Shoppe. He also is willing to try new drugs on the market that I have found to be very effective with my illness. He is very professional and I have never witnessed any "personality" problems. He is also very caring and has shown a lot of concern about my condition.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr. Konnikow is very knowledgeable and diagnosed me correctly after many years of incomplete diagnoses from different therapists and psychiatrists. His being a psychiatrist as well as a PhD is an added bonus. He also never rushes me out the door to try and end the session exactly on time to the second like all the other mental health care providers I have seen over the years. His waiting room is clean and comfortable and ALWAYS packed with patients so he must be doing something right (and I don't even really mind waiting when he's running late since I know he doesn't rush people out the door).

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

I agree with a few the other comments that indeed he is polite and attentive in the beginning. Then he became quite unprofessional. When he is moody he can be quite rude and condescending. I visited him over a 2-yr period. He was great with prescribing the right meds however when I challenged his opinion he became quite irate and started literally yelling at me to the point where I started to cry...(being in a very fragile emotional state at the time). I told him he was upsetting me and he told me I should be upset?!!! What a weirdo. Good luck with that quack i mean literally.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2011

This was the first doctor to accurate diagnose me (after 1 consultation) after years of sitting in group therapy misdiagnosed with "panic attacks" by several others. After being evaluated by him, he believed I was suffering from a neurological/auto-immune disease, and sent me for a brain MRI. The results concluded that I indeed had Multiple Sclerois and a form of Lupus. I owe him many thanks because he was very insightful and helpful where others in his league failed in my case.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2009

He is an excellent psychiatrist and literally saved my life. He encouraged me to make the right decisions about my life. Is non judgmental and pragmatic

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

He is knowledgeable - in the sense that he is versed in psychopharmacology, the new and the old skool methods. He is not afraid to prescribe "controversial substances", but for some reason, just like everyone mentions, after a year or two, his kindness turns into a pretentiousness; the meekness and the politeness of the past suddenly turns into a well pronounced conceit, to use the word someone already used here. I believe, however, that he is not a bad person - he is just not quite...emotionally stable. He becomes apathetic and didactic. He doesn't return calls but sometimes he does. It's all based on his mood. I recommend; try him out. He WILL treat your symptoms and he will experiment for quite a while. But don't get 'too close' so to speak. Tread lightly, lest you shall feel like the psychiatrist and he the patient in his little cubicle. Yes, Antisocial, shy at first, then ok., and finally just a ball of nerves. We had a good run, 2 years. Now, he is simply unbearable.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2008

Despite the two reports before this one, both, clearly written by the same person... who wrote two comments three days apart...(sad.), I highly recommend this psychiatrist. His forte is neuropsychiatric approaches, not zen shmen take a yoga class and the panic attacks will stop, here, take this sample pack of zoloft and eat one pack daily. See you in a month...etc. A person, albeit not always 'stable' in his mood or affect (the patient diagnoses his psychiatrist), who is willing to dig in the depths of clinical obscurity to provide help to his fullest ability, and if, upon finding himself unable to do so, he gets discouraged.. let him cool off, he's a person too. He will not shove harmful pills in you to 'sedate' you. He TREATS SYMPTOMS WITH MEDICATION (no matter how controversial the medication) AND OBSERVES THE PATIENT'S RESPONSE. That is the true Hippocratic method. It took me 2 years to find a good psychiatrist in NYC. Someone who doesn't give you thorazine for insomnia basically.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2008

Dr. Boris A. Konnikow's Credentials

• Second Moscow Med Inst, Russian State Med Univ, Moscow, Russia (Grad. 1973)

GHI