Ratings for Dr. Boris A. Konnikow

Excellent and an extremely knowledgeable doctor. Not true what's been said in other posts that he's reserved or condescending. Not true. A very warm personable doctor who truly cares about his patients and the outcomes of his treatments. Not afraid to try out different medications, and open to altering treatment when certain medications work better than others. An old school doctor in terms of the time and attention he's willing to offer to a patient - a rarity in our busy world. Also, never tries to entice you into coming back, totally cool with seeing patients whenever THEY need him. Never judgmental and open to discussing anything in your life.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

Dr. Konnikow is very knowledgeable and educated about psychopharmacology. He has never spoken to me in a condescending manner. You will, however, have to wait up to an hour to see him because he runs an hour behind schedule. His assistant is very organized and pleasant and returns our phone calls. He has a slight tendency to over-prescribe pills. For example, I had a Vitamin D deficiency (results from a blood test) and instead of taking the Vitamin D, he was going to give me a pill for it. I refused and he said a woman my age should get 5,000 grs. of Vitamin D today, so I bought a bottle at the Vitamin Shoppe. He also is willing to try new drugs on the market that I have found to be very effective with my illness. He is very professional and I have never witnessed any "personality" problems. He is also very caring and has shown a lot of concern about my condition.

flag | Submitted July 14, 2014

Dr. Konnikow is very knowledgeable and diagnosed me correctly after many years of incomplete diagnoses from different therapists and psychiatrists. His being a psychiatrist as well as a PhD is an added bonus. He also never rushes me out the door to try and end the session exactly on time to the second like all the other mental health care providers I have seen over the years. His waiting room is clean and comfortable and ALWAYS packed with patients so he must be doing something right (and I don't even really mind waiting when he's running late since I know he doesn't rush people out the door).

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

I agree with a few the other comments that indeed he is polite and attentive in the beginning. Then he became quite unprofessional. When he is moody he can be quite rude and condescending. I visited him over a 2-yr period. He was great with prescribing the right meds however when I challenged his opinion he became quite irate and started literally yelling at me to the point where I started to cry...(being in a very fragile emotional state at the time). I told him he was upsetting me and he told me I should be upset?!!! What a weirdo. Good luck with that quack i mean literally.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2011

This was the first doctor to accurate diagnose me (after 1 consultation) after years of sitting in group therapy misdiagnosed with "panic attacks" by several others. After being evaluated by him, he believed I was suffering from a neurological/auto-immune disease, and sent me for a brain MRI. The results concluded that I indeed had Multiple Sclerois and a form of Lupus. I owe him many thanks because he was very insightful and helpful where others in his league failed in my case.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2009

He is an excellent psychiatrist and literally saved my life. He encouraged me to make the right decisions about my life. Is non judgmental and pragmatic

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

He is knowledgeable - in the sense that he is versed in psychopharmacology, the new and the old skool methods. He is not afraid to prescribe "controversial substances", but for some reason, just like everyone mentions, after a year or two, his kindness turns into a pretentiousness; the meekness and the politeness of the past suddenly turns into a well pronounced conceit, to use the word someone already used here. I believe, however, that he is not a bad person - he is just not quite...emotionally stable. He becomes apathetic and didactic. He doesn't return calls but sometimes he does. It's all based on his mood. I recommend; try him out. He WILL treat your symptoms and he will experiment for quite a while. But don't get 'too close' so to speak. Tread lightly, lest you shall feel like the psychiatrist and he the patient in his little cubicle. Yes, Antisocial, shy at first, then ok., and finally just a ball of nerves. We had a good run, 2 years. Now, he is simply unbearable.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2008

Despite the two reports before this one, both, clearly written by the same person... who wrote two comments three days apart...(sad.), I highly recommend this psychiatrist. His forte is neuropsychiatric approaches, not zen shmen take a yoga class and the panic attacks will stop, here, take this sample pack of zoloft and eat one pack daily. See you in a month...etc. A person, albeit not always 'stable' in his mood or affect (the patient diagnoses his psychiatrist), who is willing to dig in the depths of clinical obscurity to provide help to his fullest ability, and if, upon finding himself unable to do so, he gets discouraged.. let him cool off, he's a person too. He will not shove harmful pills in you to 'sedate' you. He TREATS SYMPTOMS WITH MEDICATION (no matter how controversial the medication) AND OBSERVES THE PATIENT'S RESPONSE. That is the true Hippocratic method. It took me 2 years to find a good psychiatrist in NYC. Someone who doesn't give you thorazine for insomnia basically.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2008

Poor diagnostician. Tends to focus more on side effects than the primary issue. He switched me to a medication with a very good side effect profile, but in comparison to the medication I was taking before it was nothing more than a sugar pill so I had to experience several severe depressions until I regained my chemical balance. I found him deceptively nice in the initial stages, but later on his conceit took center stage, and one will be scolded if one's opinion is different from his. Since he views himself as a paradigm of excellence everyone else must conform to his standard, and to his way of thinking (no matter how preposterous it may be) -- doctor knows best mentality. Forget about your own individuality, and get ready to become a Dr. Konnikow clone or skip this clown, and find a psychiatrist (not so easy to find) who will honestly treat you as the distinct human being that God created you to be.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2007

Focused on secondary issues when prescribing medications. Does not account for the distinctiveness of each person. Sees only his approach to resolving a problem as the correct one. Is close minded. Keeps cards close to his vest so his true (negative) feelings to a patient will take a while to emerge. Bottom line: Another close-minded, fearful shrink without empathy. Pass over this clown!

flag | Submitted September 3, 2007

Dr. Boris A. Konnikow's Credentials

• Second Moscow Med Inst, Russian State Med Univ, Moscow, Russia (Grad. 1973)