Ratings for Dr. Richard P. Carano

I went to him after my primary dr recommended I see an endo for my hashimotos. He did test after test and only used t4 and tsh for thyroid labs. He appeared uneducated on hashimotos and how to properly treat it. He made me do a scan on my pituitary because my tsh was suppressed and because of higher prolactin levels (both of which are common in women with hashimotos)....he ended up not having a clue what to do. I felt like death, thyroid levels all over and he had the nerve to say "see you in 6 months." By December of 2015 I had decided I was fed up with feeling like death so I switched from levothyroxine to armour and haven't looked back. This man treats diabetes NOT hashimotos! Don't waste your time and money on him.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2016

Dr. Carano is a very nice doctor. He seems very knowledgeable about endocrinology, and he shows genuine interest in you as a patient.

flag | Submitted June 11, 2013

First dr to take me seriously about Hypothyroid - and diagnosed me with Hashimoto's. Hasn't taken me seriously since. I've been asking for a higher dose since this one isn't working for 3 years and he refuses to try anything differently. Blames everything on my weight, if asked for help, he give me unrealistic and unhealthy goes for diet and exercise.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2011

Dr. Carano is a very caring doctor the has added me at the end of his day and during his own lunch. It does take months to get in to see him. The clinic has hired an additional endocrinologist so hopefully it will get easier to see him.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2010

I received a call from his office to immediately be put on insulin after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. He made his recommendation without even seeing me despite me asking to have an appointment and asking to review my diet and exercise results. I decided to get advice with another provider and I was correct that insulin was premature with out trying a pregnancy safe medication.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2009

Dr. Carano is one of the best Diabetic Doctors in the Mid-West. He is always caring and helpful in meeting all of his patients needs. He is even willing to recommend other Doctors to help his patients needs. If you can get in to see him I highly recommend him. Thank You John Rahn, Ames, IA

flag | Submitted September 5, 2007

Dr. Carano was knowledgeable, helpful, supportive, and just really nice when I met with him about my gestational diabetes through 2 pregnancies. Several times he added appointments over his lunch hour so I could see him at a certain time during the pregnancy. He came to check on me in the hospital after I delivered my baby.

flag | Submitted September 5, 2007

Dr. Richard P. Carano's Credentials

• University Of Iowa College Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

Top Hospitals in Ames, IA