Ratings for Dr. David Poulad

Dr Poulad's knowledge and expertise made a person terrified of surgery absolutely at ease. I am now out of pain!!!

flag | Submitted August 18, 2019

Upon meeting with Dr. Poulad I instantly sensed his compassion. I had a very bad herniation of discs in my spine and was in excruciating pain. He knew just by by looking at my face the pain I was in and I was terrified of surgery. His knowledge and expertise is something that I am grateful for. He not only put me into his schedule immediately but both he and his staff worked very hard to expedite everything to get me out of pain, ensure that I was in excellent care and on my way to recovery. He explained everything and answered all my questions and put me at ease.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2019

Dr. Poulad is an excellent surgeon. He removed a large lesion from my wife's brain. He has a compassionate manner. His office was clean, pleasant, and convenient. In my opinion, he is skillful, educated, experienced, and well-trained. I have confidence in him. I like his staff.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2019

After my slip & fall, I was unable to do a lot of things for over a year. When I met with Dr. Poulad he was very thorough, polite and concerned of my pains. He was very detailed in my options & suggested to me about the minimally invasive lumbar TLIF. After the surgery, I have to say even during the healing process I was able to sleep on my back and continue to do more now. His vision is to help you and minimize your pains the best he can so you can continue live life normal again. Ty Dr. P!

flag | Submitted March 6, 2019

After being out of work for 3 months I was in desperate need of finding a doctor who could provide other options for my back other than disc fusion. I am so happy I found Dr. Poulad. He listened to all of my concerns and answered all of my questions. He gave me an option that was perfect for my condition and did not require fusion. My total recovery from surgery was 4 weeks with no loss of flexibility and got me on the road to having a pain-free life! Thank you Dr. Poulad, Teresa C.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2019

Extremely pleased with the analysis the doctor’s office. The diagnostic results, the respect from Dr David Poulad, the clear explanation of the needed back fusion surgery. After the surgery no more pain while recovering. Therapy went well also. Now I have returned to my regular tasks cleaning and caring for my grandchildren. So I’m blessed by God giving me the doctor who truly cares for his patient. Thank you, Leila Di Mascio

flag | Submitted October 14, 2018

Dr Poulad is outstanding. He didn't operate on me, but he looked at my Cat scans, examined my back carefully and talked to me like a human. We agreed to try other treatment - phys therapy - and avoid surgery. Great doctor experience. If the pain returns and I do need a surgeon, I will go to Dr Poulad.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2018

Dr. Poulad was an amazing surgeon and really helped me out when I was most in need. A few months back I began having terrible lower back pain to the point where I was hospitalized twice. While in the hospital, I was given a CT scan which found that I had a pinched nerve and was told it should go away on its own and they gave me some painkillers and sent me on my way. the next day I went to an orthopedic surgeon who read the CT scan and told me I’d be fine and told me to keep taking pain killers and muscle relaxers and start a three week stint with physical therapy. Two weeks into the physical therapy i wasn’t feeling any better and still had terrible pain that pretty much kept me in bed all day. I decided to follow the advice of an emt who had helped me out and contacted Dr. Poulad. They gave me an appointment within a week which was great since my pain was worsening. After reading the CT scan Dr. Poulad figured the pain would go away with time due to my young age but decided to send me for an mri just in case. That was a Tuesday, I went to get the mri done on that Thursday and on Friday went back for him to check out the mri and to both our surprised I had two bulging discs one of which was pressed so hard upon my nerves that I was not only have excruciating pain in my back and down my leg that I was started to lose strength in my leg that if not treated could lead to a permanent loss of feeling so he recommended surgery. One thing I loved is that he laid out all the possible options and explained which was best for me with pros and cons so after a short talk with my family we decided to go ahead with the surgery, a lumbar discectomy with lumbar fusion. Since time was of the essence he was able to schedule me for surgery just three days later. I was pretty nervous having only met this doctor 6 days before and reading a negative review on Google. Luckily the surgery went amazing, that same day I felt better and walking again. I honestly feel like Dr. Poulad changed my life and helped me regain what was lost while battling with back pain for so long. It’s been a few months since the surgery and I feel great and am able to do pretty much everything except heavy lifting which he said I could start to do again in a few months’ time. Thanks Dr. Poulad for being an amazing doctor, surgeon, and person!

flag | Submitted October 24, 2017

I was scheduled for a European vacation to leave on August 12. At the end of June I saw Dr Poulad with a bulging disc that was hitting a nerve. I couldn't walk well at all and the pain was taking over my days. Dr. Poulad scheduled my surgery for July 6 (5 days after my visit) so that I could recuperate before my trip. I had a lumbar microdisection and I was feeling great in a week and a half. I can't believe I was accommodated so quickly. The staff was so helpful and Dr. Poulad was really terrific. Needless to say,my trip went well and clocked 28 miles on my pedometer. Fantastic.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

Dr. Poulad was recommended by The Stryker Medical rep. I was suffering from Severe Sciatic pain in both legs. The Dr was able to quickly diagnose and Surgically repair my Issues restoring me to full function. Dr Poulad is what you picture when you think about a great doctor. He explaind my options,and answered all of my questions to my satisfaction. This was my fourth back surgery and I found this to be my best overall surgical experience Dr Poulad and his staff are caring proffessionals who know how to treat you as a patient and as an individual. I highly highly recommend you see Dr Poulad.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

Dr. David Poulad's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. David Poulad is a board certified neurosurgeon who has been practicing in Union, NJ since 2005. A member of IGEA Brain & Spine, he is on staff at the Overlook Hospital in Summit, NJ; Morristown Hospital in Morristown, NJ.; Trinitas Regional Medical Center in Elizabeth, NJ; St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson, NJ; and St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, NJ. A graduate of Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y.; Dr. Poulad earned his medical degree from Saint Louis University School of Medicine in 1998. He completed his surgical internship and residency in Neurosurgical Surgery at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in Bronx, N.Y. In 2002-03, he received additional training as a fellow in Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgical surgery at the Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. In 2004 he returned to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine to serve as Chief Resident in the Department of Neurosurgical Surgery. His clinical interests are in neuro-oncology for the surgical treatment of brain and spinal cord tumors, radiosurgery, pituitary surgery, functional neurosurgery for pain and movement disorders, and minimally invasive spine surgery. Dr. Poulad was one of the first neurosurgeons in New Jersey to perform a minimally invasive spinal fusion using robotics technology. He continues to pioneer minimally invasive approaches to the brain and spinal cord and is at the forefront of technology for neurosurgical approaches. Dr. Poulad is a member of the American Association of Neurosurgical Surgeons and the Congress of Neurosurgical Surgeons.

• English

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1998)
  • Cornell University (Grad. 1990)

• Spinal fusion
  • Spinal stenosis
  • Acoustic neuroma
  • Neuroblastoma
  • Intracranial hematoma
  • Meningioma

• Surgical Complications of DBS Surgery: The Beth Israel Experience.

UnitedHealthcare