Ratings for Dr. John Laidlaw

I owe my life to Professor Laidlaw. Late in 2016 I was diagnosed with a severe malformation of blood vessels in the brain, an "AVM". The malformation was large and in a bad spot, so deep that computer instruments could not reach. The risk of mortality, or disablement, was high. I underwent two operations (only a few hours apart) which totalled 33.5 hours. Prof Laidlaw undertook it all. I required a long stay in Intensive care, including a lengthy period of coma, and not unexpectedly, have some residual physical problems, but I am alive with full cognitive function and recovering well. Prof Laidlaw's attention to me throughout my stay at the Royal Melbourne was regular and often. His courtesy, compassion, knowledge and professionalism was outstanding. I liked his wry humour too. I cannot recommend him more highly. His staff too were unfailingly courteous and helpful.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

John Laidlaw saved my life in 2006. He operated on my aneurism. Found another, so he clipped both. Within another four weeks I had to go back to hospital to have another three clipped on the other side of my skull. I still have another two which everyone tells me I will have a 50/50 chance of getting through. From 2006-2017, I am still alive. John Laidlaw I love you to bits. What a professional / perceptive individual you are. Barbara Welter

flag | Submitted March 6, 2018

Being Long Distance mother of a patient - I owe my sanity to his PA's Jo & Bek. They answered every query, assisted with information and medical certificates and kept a concerned parent sane. They treated us all as humans and understood our concerns and tried to allay our fears. The Melbourne Private Hospital "Meh?" pretty ordinary. Registrars and residents generally ignored family, information was slow to non existent. Haematologist is a fee charging ghost - never ever present.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2018

I have been dealing with Mr Laidlaw for the last 16 years and 7 operations later there is no words to justify how I respect this man. I owe him my way of life.

flag | Submitted June 12, 2017

Like others, I attribute the fact that I am still here enjoying life with my family, to John Laidlaw and his colleagues who undertook my surgery for a brain aneurysm. I remain eternally grateful for his expertise, dedication and frank communication.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2017

Cannot speak highly enough of this wonderful man and his staff. Just over a year ago he performed spinal surgery on me to relieve constant nerve pain in my arm... My life is back and an improved golf swing is an added bonus :)

flag | Submitted July 1, 2016

Receptionist 'Jo' needs an attitude adjustment- completely rude.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

Saved my life. Tried experimental options that other doctors might have been too scared to try. He is strict with staff but they respect him anyway due to his enormous skill.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2015

6 years later I heard I was what they call a "ten percenter". Didn't only save my life; preserved my functionality and pretty much my working memory. 18 months to recover my 'personality' (as expressed in sense of humour) and can't track a Melways over page breaks as I used to, but that's nothing. Eternally grateful.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

Would sincerly like to thank john and his wonderful staff for putting me in a great position for the fight going forward

flag | Submitted June 28, 2015