Ratings for Dr. David Sternthal

I have seen three other therapists and he is the best of the group. He is self assured and calls it like it is which my other therapists tip ties around. I have found his advice very on the money. If you want someone to tell you you are doing great (when you are no) then I would see someone else. Straight up he is good at what he does, his personality is not for everyone, however I can say of the 4 people I saw he got the best results.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

Ditto on his lack of listening, talking too much, being judgmental and critical. I wish the previous writer could say who the subsequent psychiatrist was.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2014

I worked with Dr. Sternthal for a couple years and would strongly recommend that you explore other options. I found him judgmental, condescending, hypercritical, insensitive and flat out wrong in his diagnosis, as has been subsequently shown. My psychologist spoke with him at Dr. Sternthal's request and she quickly encouraged me to find someone else. Ironically, he had earlier indicated that he had no confidence in any of my other advisors (none of which he knew) since they hadn't contacted him! I am living the wonderful life I have right now because of these other people, my own hard work, my friends and subsequent psychiatrist: I feel like I have recovered despite Dr. Sternthal. I felt that he had no belief in me and no real understanding of what I was going through. He also got some pretty important facts I'd relayed to him wrong! I was also shocked to hear him make generally disparaging remarks about other patients. In the end, I felt more like a case study than a patient.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2014

I went to Dr Sternthal for four years starting at age 18. Honestly, I look back and have no idea why. He actually was the worst and did nothing for me. Too scared to stop seeing him, I continued going to him every 2 weeks until I finally moved away for University. I remember trying to come up with stuff to talk about prior to the appointment because I was so stressed as he would never initiate dialogue or ask any questions. This was not because of a lack of issues, actually there were many however we never even skimmed the surface. He did explain how to set up cable and phone services in my new apartment though, thanks for that Dave!!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2012

I found that he was available when I needed him. He was clear that he did not do cognitive therapy from the start and helped me a great deal. It really depends on the type of doctor you want.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2012

I have no idea about the bad reviews. He has helped me in so many ways. If i left a voicemail he'd get back to me same day. He has been kind, almost a mentor to my mental health. I've been seeing him for 8 years and he is the best psychiatrist i've seen. He always knows what to do and he's usually always spot on.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2012

I, too, wasted years with this creep. Arrogant doesn't even begin to describe him. The worst part is his hyper-sensitivity and rush to criticize and correct your "wrong" notions. This was no kind of therapy. And he just does not listen. I've been talking about horrendous side-effects to the drugs he insisted on, and he could not care less. Thank God my medical doctor saw my point and has helped me finally stop all that crap recently. I lost all my friends and family due to the effects of these drugs. He should not be allowed to do this do people. His constant defensiveness has lead me to believe he has his own problems that should be dealt with before ruining anyone else's life. Stay far away from this "therapist." Never tell him how you're feeling because he simply refuses to listen or believe you. I finally walked away, and wonder why I didn't do it months ago. Wish I could say something helped, but nothing ever did. Beware of this man.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2012

I wasted 3 years of my life with him, don't waste yours. Easily distracted and sometimes has an opinion before you can even finish the sentence.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2011

Basically he's what used to be called a "good head." He never told me that about cognitive therapy, but it does explain a few things as I don't often feel like I've been to therapy. But he's willing to see me and talk pretty much about whatever I want. I don't think he's arrogant, just very self-assured. Sometimes it can be annoying, though. But basically he's been taking good care of me and that's all I care about.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2011

Dr. Sternthal has a bit of a God Complex, He's arrogant, Abrupt, Told me on my first visit he's a "Diagnostician" and doesn't do cognitive therapy, Ok so that's not his strong point but he has a habit of not listening, Why does he take notes then?? Is he drawing a self-portrait?? all in all I wouldn't recommend him to anybody

flag | Submitted June 25, 2011