Ratings for Dr. David Sternthal

In 2015 I was suffering from major depression and anxiety from many personal problems that came at me all at once. I couldn't cope at work or in the real world around others or in my personal life. I wasn't acting normal and I was reallly suffering. My family doctor along with the help of my family made sure that I got professional help. That's how I met Dr. Sternthal. I've been seeing him now for a few years. He has helped me out tremendously. I don't know how I would have got on with my life without him. At the begining I was seeing him once a week, now it's every two. He has prescribed medication to help me deal with my depression and anxiety. His wisdom, knowledge, caring and insight, his great advice and "tough" love stance has saved my life. He has not only helped me with my present problems, but hidden fears, problems and demons from my past and childhood. When I first started seeing Dr. Sternthal I didn't know what to think. Of course he was new in my life. There was one day where I called and cancelled an appointment with him the same day or the evening before my appointment. He was not happy about that and he told me in a firm and clear way that that's was not acceptable. I remember feeling shocked at his response, but the more I thought about it he was totally right. I wasn't taking our appointments very seriously and I was "flaky." I love that about Dr. Sternthal. He speaks his mind, he thinks about you and others, your friends, family, job, etc. The wider picture and he helps you in ways that you don't even realize till later. He helps you to function in the real world. He doesn't tell you what you want to hear and to me that's a true professional. I look forward to our meeting and now I never cancel unless I'm very very sick. Another thing Dr.Sterthal has done with me is taking me away from focusing on my fears and problems and instead looking forward into the light at the end of the tunnel. He will probably laugh if he reads this, but I like to think of myself as a smart guy...sometimes I analyze his tactics and I think wow that's clever. I thank him along with my other doctor, my true friends and family because I am once again happy and living a good productive, rich and full life.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2018

I have sought treatment from Dr. Sternthal to help me deal with grief and depression. His professionalism and caring have resulted in superior treatment and I recommend his services wholeheartedly.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2018

I have seen Dr Sternthal for 12 years now. He is a wonderful Dr that has helped me to deal with major depression and life challenges. When I was diagnosed with bipolar 12 years ago I did not know how to deal with life. With the help of Sternthal I'm now living life to the fullest I can. I would recommend Dr Sternthal to anyone that is willing to get help and change there life. It takes work and time to change.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2018

If you are serious about making positive life changes, then Dr. Sternthal will give you guidance and support to achieve your goals. He is an excellent doctor; I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2018

I have seen three other therapists and he is the best of the group. He is self assured and calls it like it is which my other therapists tip ties around. I have found his advice very on the money. If you want someone to tell you you are doing great (when you are no) then I would see someone else. Straight up he is good at what he does, his personality is not for everyone, however I can say of the 4 people I saw he got the best results.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2015

Ditto on his lack of listening, talking too much, being judgmental and critical. I wish the previous writer could say who the subsequent psychiatrist was.

flag | Submitted December 26, 2014

I worked with Dr. Sternthal for a couple years and would strongly recommend that you explore other options. I found him judgmental, condescending, hypercritical, insensitive and flat out wrong in his diagnosis, as has been subsequently shown. My psychologist spoke with him at Dr. Sternthal's request and she quickly encouraged me to find someone else. Ironically, he had earlier indicated that he had no confidence in any of my other advisors (none of which he knew) since they hadn't contacted him! I am living the wonderful life I have right now because of these other people, my own hard work, my friends and subsequent psychiatrist: I feel like I have recovered despite Dr. Sternthal. I felt that he had no belief in me and no real understanding of what I was going through. He also got some pretty important facts I'd relayed to him wrong! I was also shocked to hear him make generally disparaging remarks about other patients. In the end, I felt more like a case study than a patient.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2014

I went to Dr Sternthal for four years starting at age 18. Honestly, I look back and have no idea why. He actually was the worst and did nothing for me. Too scared to stop seeing him, I continued going to him every 2 weeks until I finally moved away for University. I remember trying to come up with stuff to talk about prior to the appointment because I was so stressed as he would never initiate dialogue or ask any questions. This was not because of a lack of issues, actually there were many however we never even skimmed the surface. He did explain how to set up cable and phone services in my new apartment though, thanks for that Dave!!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2012

I found that he was available when I needed him. He was clear that he did not do cognitive therapy from the start and helped me a great deal. It really depends on the type of doctor you want.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2012

I have no idea about the bad reviews. He has helped me in so many ways. If i left a voicemail he'd get back to me same day. He has been kind, almost a mentor to my mental health. I've been seeing him for 8 years and he is the best psychiatrist i've seen. He always knows what to do and he's usually always spot on.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2012