Ratings for Dr. John Christensen

have seen this "doctor" for almost two years and everytime he did work, I experienced post operative sensitivity. Recently, he extracted an old lower wisdom tooth and I developed a "bit of dry socket". After the procedure, I asked about painkillers and a precautionary antibiotic. His response was "shouldn't be necessary and over the counter anti-inflammatories should suffice. Over the ensuing 13 days I attended his office 3X for the application of some sort of naturopathic dry socket paste. Still in discomfort with mild swelling and a mild ear ache. The third time I attended his office he wasn't even there so one of his assistants applied the "paste". I asked the assistant if having a "bit" of dry socket was like having a "bit" of cancer or being a little "bit" pregnant. She replied it was a different thing. The difference was she didn't have the discomfort and she wasn't out of pocket $423.00 for a 20 second procedure. Now I have had to go to my "doctor" for an antibiotic and real painkillers. This how 6th generation Canadian pensioners on disability are treated by so-called medical practioners. Is it no small wonder people hate going to dentists but rest assured that I won't be going back to this guy. His staff are great people but does he think I was doctor shopping for antibiotics and a handful of pain-killers? By the way, after every treatment by this doctor I paid the total amount of the service in cash without questioning the bill. Not one "bit".

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

Friendly and professional the office has a great feel and the work done was amazing

flag | Submitted February 25, 2015

My worst dentist experience ever. He botched a routine cavity filling and I had to go to another dentist to fix it. This was years ago and I remember trying to contact a professional association, but just faced roadblocks and gave up. When he couldn't fix the botched cavity on a follow-up visit, he suggested I might need a root canal. (I never went back, and went to another dentist, just up the street on 4th, who fixed it in less than 2 minutes). On a previous visit before the cavity fiasco, he spoke to his assistant right in my ear for 20 minutes about his personal life. Amazing rude, obnoxious, and at least in his dealings with me, incompetent.

Submitted January 30, 2013

As the son of a (retired) dentist, preventive dental care has always been the focus for me. Dr. John Christensen has been my dentist for 5 years and I've been very satisfied with him and his charming (and gentle!) office staff. He offers suggestions and options but does not recommend unnecesary work. I look forward to my appointments with the dentist!

Submitted September 4, 2012

Ok dentist, but a bit rude with patients. Another negative point was the time taken to do a root canal. I had to attend 4 appointments for one root canal, because he only allotted 1/2 hr per appointment. 2 weeks with a sore tooth was a bit much to bear but this didn't seem to bother him much.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2011

Dr John is wonderful! He's been my dentist for years now and I recommend him every chance I get. He is really laid back and makes you feel very comfortable. He also makes sure that the staff he hires is friendly and have that same relaxed kind of attitude. When I started with Dr John it was just by chance that I found him because I lived in the same area as his office. I moved from that area long ago, but stay with Dr J for a reason - he is great!

flag | Submitted April 5, 2011

I thought this dentist was wonderful. He's been a dentist for 17 yrs. He values having a caring and comfortable environment where he and his staff are kind to patients. He will make sure you are never in pain - just tell him to freeze you as much as you need. I just had all 4 wisdom teeth out yesterday and it wasn't bad at all. He managed another problem quickly and for free with a simple solution, a problem another dentist wanted to charge a LOT of money for. I definitely don't think he's in practice for just the money. He made me laugh during my extractions. His office is a bit unorthodox and very relaxed - his dogs (chocolate lab and chihuahua hang out in the waiting room - the chihuahua sits on the lab too cute) so it's good to be ready for that, but i really feel like i can trust him. He was thorough and followed up the extractions with pain killers, an anti-inflammatory, and precautionary antibiotic. You can get a hold of his office/cell easily and they are very helpful.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2010

Dr. John Christensen's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. John Christensen was born and raised in Vancouver and is very proud to have his dental practice in the heart of Kitsilano, just two blocks from where he grew up. His passion is dentistry and his goal is to make every patient that walks in the door feel at ease and comfortable. His laid back and caring approach is reflected in the strong bond he has with his patients. On his spare time, Dr. Christensen loves spending time swimming and skiing with his wife and two young daughters. He is also a competitive athlete, always training for the next marathon or Iron Man event

• English

• University of British Columbia (Grad. 1990)

• Wisdom tooth extraction