Ratings for Dr. Klaus Buttenschoen

Dr Buttenschoen had just arrived in Canada from Germany when he performed my gall bladder surgery. He was thorough, kind and simply what all surgeons should be, patient. It was how he treated the patient beside my who was very ill that was most impressive. He is an asset to Edmonton and the patients he provides care for. I cannot say enough about this kind and intelligent man. I hope AHS doesn't ruin him.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2017

I have to agree with all the comments below me. I have never had a dr as knowledgable, respectful, caring dr as Dr.Buttenschoen!!! I think he's an amazing dr and recommend him to anyone and everyone. He made my 2 week stay pleasant. I have no word of a lie, 17 dr's (to my disease that I have. One dr for every issue MS has caused me) and I can truly say Dr.Buttenschoen is the BEST!!! He had me go for a motility test as soon as he got my referral, so he knew what the problem was before my first visit) and we discussed the options for me. Due to all the meds I had previously tried did not work only option left was surgery. I saw him in Aug and he figured October or so I would be booked in for surgery. Sure enough sept I got a call to let me know surgery was booked for Oct 16 2015. 4 weeks later I got VERY sick. I was out of province and I didn't want any other dr touching me. I flew home a week after being sick. I went from 130 lbs (due to my disease only letting me have 1 bowel movement every 3 weeks or so, so of course I gained weight!) and I dropped down to 94 lbs within that week. I got home the Sunday. I called his office first thing Monday morning and was able to get in to see him that Tuesday. I was admitted that day and in for emerg surgery because my small intestine dropped into my pelvis and it looped and pulled through creating a knot. Another section of the small intestine kinked, turned and twisted. All due to dropping. So he had me admitted that day, stomach pump put in and left in for a week to let my bowel relax and heal a bit after surgery. I didn't even know what the resident dr looked like. He kept me under his care and did not pass me off to the resident dr like most dr's do. An example of that is I had a semi private room and my roomies dr passed her off to resident dr right after she came to the room and told my roomie what she had done in the surgery. buttenschoen checked on me twice a day. He did not do the typical 6am rounds like the residents do. He let me sleep till 8am or so. And then he came in and checked on me again around supper time. And he did that every day for the whole 2 weeks I was in the hospital. He did not let me leave until I was no longer malnutritioned, gaining weight, bowels fully working and not in so much pain and I really truly appreciate that!! Because most dr's don't care and push you out the door ASAP. He makes sure he feels Comforable sending you home. The 1 and ONLY thing I would ask to be changed is the hours his receptionist works. She's never there past 10-10:30 which I think is crazy!! And when she is there the phone is constantly busy. I literally sit there hitting redial repeatedly till I get through. And then sometimes she doesn't answer. Maybe she stepped away from her desk I'm not sure but one would think with it being a specialist office would work till at least noon. I've left messages and sometimes they aren't returned shortly after. I usually give her a chance to return my call and if I haven't heard back by the 3rd day I call back. She sends Buttenschoen a message in regards to the reason of your call to see what he recommends or suggests and then she knows what to tell ya. But I'm very certain it is nothing to do with Buttenschoen returning the calls because she says hold I'm just going to check what he said and there's Never been once that he had not replied. So it's gotta be her not getting on top of it. But how can ya be when it's a specialist office with having multiple upon multiple patients I'm guessing hundreds of patients and everyone trying to get through before she leaves. I think it should be like any other dr office and should have a receptionist Monday - Friday 8-4 or whatever. But something more reasonable would be fantastic!! But she is just like Buttenschoen the way she speaks with kindness and respect for others. But I 100% say he is the BEST dr!!! Thank you Dr.Buttenschoen for "fixing" me and keeping me as comfortable as you could, inside and outside of the hospital.

flag | Submitted February 12, 2016

Dr. Buttenschoen really is an excellent surgeon, and a caring and compassionate physician. He performed surgery on my husband to remove a tumour from his colon. The surgery went without a hitch, but he took the time to seek me out following it to explain that regrettably the cancer had already metastasized. In what has been, and continues to be, a long hard journey, our experience with this doctor remains the most positive. If only all doctors possessed this level of care.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

Dr. Buttenschoen is an excellent doctor and surgeon as well as a wonderful person. He is very professional, very knowledgeable in his area of expertise, and up to date in everything I’ve asked about my condition and available treatments. Dr. Buttenschoen has great expertise and experience as a general surgeon, and provides very compassionate and expert care. He’s always been punctual and showed respect and consideration to me as his patient. His bedside manners are very relaxed and he’s never given me the impression that he’s in a rush or stressed. Dr. Buttenschoen explained to me everything in great detail about my condition and procedure and answered all my questions with patience and confidence and made me feel very confident in him. He really cares about my wellbeing and his staff and his surgical team at the Edmonton Kaye Clinic and at the University of Alberta Hospital are excellent! What a blessing to have him as my surgeon! I cannot recommend him enough as an excellent doctor and surgeon and as a wonderful person! I would definitely choose him every time I need to see a general surgeon!

flag | Submitted October 30, 2014

Admitted to hospital with Toxic Mega Colon and required emergency surgery. Dr. Buttenschoen provided compassionate and expert care. What a blessing to have him as my surgeon. He saved my life.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2013

Dr. Buttenschoen is an amazing doctor and surgeon. He is very professional, knowledgeable, and personal as well. His bedside manner is very relaxed and he never gives you the impression that he is in a rush or stressed. He explains everything in detail about your procedure and makes you feel very confident. I had a hernia repair and my gall bladder removed at the same time, and it was done laparoscopically. The surgery went very well and his follow up was excellent. He really cared about your well being and his staff was the best.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2013

Excellent doctor! Very caring and patient oriented.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2012

Dr Buttenschoen is a great doctor! He is knowledgeable, caring and 100% patient focused. He recently preformed my surgery and I felt totally at ease with knowing I was in his hands.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2011

Did a superb job on colon cancer. Not that I want to go through that procedure again, but I would with him

flag | Submitted November 27, 2010

Amazing Doctor and Surgeon. Dr.Buttenschoen did a roux-en-y Hepaticojejunostomy after i suffered a common bile duct stricture post Gallbladder removal (original Surgeon was Not Buttenschoen!). Very knowledgable. He knew I was a Nurse, and that I fully understood medical terminology, but put that aside and treated me like the average Joe and explained everything, drew pictures. He was utterly amazing! Made me feel like I was his only patient. Completely focused on my overall well-being. One of the most amazing surgeons I have ever met, as a patient and as a Nurse!

flag | Submitted May 12, 2010