Ratings for Dr. Steven Helper

I am a sports and orthopaedic physiotherapist in the Lower Mainland with a particularly large contingent of spinal patients in my practice. As luck and circumstance would have it, I crossed paths with Dr. Helper a couple of years back. Their isn't one word to sum him up so I will use a few: professional, thorough, patient, humble and in my opinion the most important descriptor, caring. I have been in the field for some 27 years now and have yet to come across a more open-minded and keen to learn specialist. A common refrain of his patients is "He took the time to listen and understand". That is huge in this industry where a lot of patients in need are shuffled about from here to there trying to find someone who will try to make sense of their complexities and actually take charge as well as follow through. Respected amongst his peers as well as a multitude of patients he has helped get back to their active lives. I have no problem recommending Dr. Helper as someone you can count on for expert opinion and treatment solutions that work!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

Secretary slow and unhelpful. While Dr Helper himself is fantastic his secretary is unmotivated .

flag | Submitted March 23, 2015

I really do highly recommend Dr Steven Helper. He is very easy to talk to and have a good sense of humour. He and his staff was very helpful. He addressed all the concern in a proffesional manner. Thank you very much.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2015

I highly recommend Dr Helper. I am an out of province patient and have seen him twice while in Vancouver . He and his staff are very professional, friendly and helpful. He listened to my concerns and didn’t discredit anything I said. He is very thorough, answered all of my questions and never rushed me. He has shown a real interest in my recovery and coordinated follow up therapy with other healthcare providers where I live.

flag | Submitted December 13, 2014

Dr. Helper gave me straight answers and compassionately explained things that I had trouble understanding. The money I paid to see him was a bargain. His assistant treated me and my family like welcome guests. My experience was five star from the very first phone call. It's refreshing to receive care from providers that are happy to meet with you! I highly recommend Dr. Helper!

flag | Submitted October 7, 2014

Dr. Helper was very responsive and helpful. He has taken a keen interest in my progress and has been incredible instrumental in helping me get better. I injured three discs and was in severe pain. He was patient and kind, and did not suggest any unnecessary procedures. In two weeks, I have gotten much better. As he often said, we treat the patient, not the MRI. Dr. Helper was true to his word.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2014

Very personable, knowledgeable and competent doctor who made me feel comfortable from the beginning. Dr. Helper never denied my pain, nor did he promise the sun and the moon. He and his staff were friendly and efficient. I understand that some people in chronic pain can be short tempered and impatient, but, given my experience there, I cannot understand anybody not recommending this doctor.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

Referred to Dr. Helper to obtain a diagnosis for a back seizure and immobility of my spine. After providing him with an explanation of my problem and concerns, he gave me an examination and clearly reviewed my options and steps. He was very patient and asked questions to get a complete picture of the situation. He made me feel very comfortable. Once the tests were completed Dr. Helper received the results quickly to review with me. He explained my results in detailed and was very thorough. I was impressed with his knowledge and proposed solutions. He was very helpful in aiding me to over come my pain and provided with a better understanding of my issues and how to deal with it on an ongoing basis. I would recommend this Doctor.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2014

Dr. Helper was very professional and incredibly helpful. He went through my back issue in full detail. He explained the possible procedures, risks and strengths to everything. I left there feeling I had all my options presented to me in a clear way. I was given the option to have injections done with his services but he recommended other options. He did not try and sell himself or his services, rather he gave me the various possibilities and options for me to weigh on my own. I appreciated his honesty. Not sure how people could talk so negatively about him. He spent a great deal of time with me and gave me one of the greater doctor/patient interactions I've every had. I would highly recommend Dr. Helper.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2014

flag | Submitted March 10, 2014

Dr. Steven Helper's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Helper, graduated in Medicine from the University of Manitoba (2001), and completed his residency program at the University of British Columbia, Faculty of Medicine. He is a certified specialist in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Dr. Helper subsequently earned a Fellowship in Interventional Spine Pain Management at the University of Pennsylvania, Penn Spine Center. He recently authored three textbook chapters on the topic of spinal intervention. His primary interest is the performance of x-ray guided spine injection procedures for pain management.