Ratings for Dr. Mark S. O'Brien

My family and I have been going to Dr. O'Brien for many years. We all have great relationships with the staff, especially Jennifer, and the doc. We also are in great health! We are very fortunate for Dr. O'Brien's preventative and matter-of-fact style to alert us of potential threats and start corrective actions early - not sure many other doctors would have caught on to what he did.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

I met Dr. Mark O'Brien at a local establishment. I have never been so insulted by an older man in my life. He actually called me a moran. He was trying to push his political views down my throat and I set him straight and he didn't like that I guess. The bottom line I feel is that he is a very unhappy sorry old man that is miserable and he is finally realizing that money doesn't make you happy. I really feel sorry for him and his family.

Submitted June 22, 2015

Wife has Huntington's disease. I went in there for an appt with my wife and was not allowed to go back into the room with her. Part of her symptoms are memory loss..she can't remember what the doctor told her. I called to talk to the doctor personally on the phone and he wouldn't even talk to me. He is only worried about $$$$$.!!!!!

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

I'm still scratching my head as to why my specialist sent me to this doctor. I needed a nephrologist! I'm reading here that he is really an internist! I have a great one here in Kzoo. I drove up to see him in December (in a snow storm). Once there, he didn't care about any info I brought with me from nephrologists at UofM, When I offered these to him, he said you wasted your time and money going there. This problem doesn't need them. He didn't want a complete history of what others have tried....I walked out of there with a script for 2 BP meds when my BP runs 110/50's regularly. I took them 2 days and called the office...told them I was so dizzy and lightheaded, yeah I didn't need BP meds! They reduced the amount I'm to take. Fast forward second appt in 6 wks...office personnel were very nice, no complaints there! 2nd appt, He comes in and says the meds will work and continue to take them see you in 6 months. What's! He hands my husband( a pharmacist, doctor didn't know) a copy of what he sent to the referring doctor....at the bottom, he states he doubts I am taking my meds prescribed by my internist that would control my condition. So in other words he doesn't think there's anything wrong with me? I am not going back in 6 months....I will stick to my internist here in Kzoo, as far as a kidney doctor he is Not one as far as I can tell. I feel like reporting him to my insurance. What a waste of gas, time and money! Never again. Anyone wants my appt in July it's all yours...

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

He is a very inept physician that really should be investigated for his inability to provide sevices in a timely manner... No follow up on patients medications

flag | Submitted November 13, 2013

My family and I have been going to this doctor since 1997. During that time he has been very good primary care physician. Especially recently with a long term ongoing health issue that stumped all of the specialists in the area. He ended up referring me to the Mayo Clinic and when they couldn't see me in a timely manner got me into U of M health systems. Now he is working with my specialist in Ann Arbor with my ongoing health issues and has been reading up on my odd medical diagnosis. Additionally according to the specialist I saw in Ann Arbor who was one of the top ten ENTs in the nation, Dr. O'Brien did everything right and even managed to do more than the neurologists and ENTs in the area. He is very focused on preventative medicine and I've never had issues seeing him. All of his staff are wonderful to work with. I use his phlebotomist for all of my blood draws if possible including ones that need to be sent to other doctors since she doesn't collapse my veins. He's great!

flag | Submitted January 28, 2013

Beware - Very rude and unconcerned with serious medical issues with the patients. I believe Dr. Mark O'brien was a very nice and concerned doctor at one point in his career, but obvious burned-out and retirement needed.

flag | Submitted October 9, 2012

does not listen to what patients want out of their medicalcare

flag | Submitted April 20, 2012

Great doctor, very smart. I appreciate his directness and am encouraged by the fact that he doesn't hand out pain medicine indiscriminately (3/4/11 review). If your doctor cannot tell you that you need to lose weight (5/20/10 review) who can? He never told me I was fat, but told me he was pleased when I did lose weight. My whole family goes to him; we all thin he's a very good doctor. My only complaint is that sometimes we have to call more than once to get refills, but that's the staff, not the doc.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2012

I've been seeing Dr O'Brien for about two years now on a referral to him as a specialist (nephrology)(sp?). I have never seen his PA and his staff has always been very nice. He is typically direct, but he has never been rude. He does run a bit late, but as others have expressed, that's to be expected nowadays.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2011

Dr. Mark S. O'Brien's Credentials

• Wayne State Univ Sch Of Med, Detroit Mi 48201 (Grad. 1980)