Ratings for Dr. Michael Chow

Amazing. Dr. Chow has care for me for 10 years, monitoring a spinal cord issue. He' not surgery happy at all ... if it can wait, he lets it wait. He has explained the exact situation and I feel like I know everything I need to know to make a decision with Dr. Chow.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2016

My meeting with Dr. Michael Chow followed a referral from a generic walk-in clinic in Fort Saskatchewan. A routine MRI of my spine to assess arthritis had revealed an uncommon intramedular spinal cord tumour. Surgery was scheduled within months, pre- and post-op MRI's showed improvement. The surgical focus spanned T-7 to T-10, involving laminectomy and resection of tumour within the spinal cord. Six months later I'm upright but with marked changes in my lower limb strength, proprioperception & coordination, all a result of nerve damage associated with the surgery..Overall I had an excellent experience through my surgery and aftercare at the U of A Hospital. Had the inadvertent diagnosis and surgery occurred so promptly, I might be much worse off. Also, Michael Chow is very thoughtful but somewhat reserved and soft-spoken. If you take the time to educate yourself about your condition, formulate a few good questions and pose them directly, I believe you might well be satisfied with the answers, as I was.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

Suggested I aquasize to relieve my pain. Terrible bedside manner!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2014

Dr Chow is a great surgeon! He was extremely helpful and caring. I had been suffering from a herniated disc for over a year. I was to the point that I could barely walk without pain in both my legs. He explained my options but recommended sugery. I recently went through a microdiscectomy and immediately felt a difference after surgery. I can't thank him enough for helping me get my life back. I am on my way to recovery and all thanks to Dr.Chow and his team!!! Thank you!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2014

I cannot thank Dr.Chow enough for his help. I have been battling a herniated disc in my back for 7 years. I have seen many specialists, therapists, & other doctors with no or very limited success. After spending 2 months on bed rest I met Dr.Chow. He was very patient & kind. He answered all the questions my mother & myself had. He really listened to me about what had been going on with my back. When the surgery date came it was the same patients & kindness I had seen before. When I woke up after surgery I only had minor surgical pain. No pain in my leg, hip or lower back. I cannot express the relief I felt. Dr. Chow has given me my mobility back and that is something that I will always be thankful for. I am forever thankful to him & his staff.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2014

Dr.chow could not make a diagnosis for me and would not refer me to someone in the USA who could. He offered no treatment options even though others do this surgery else where. I'm getting sicker every day and he refused to help me. You would think that if he couldn't fix me that he would give me options after all it is my head. I told him I'd rather die on the operating table than continue life like I have been rotting away everyday with something in my brain that shouldn't be there. Doctors are supposed to help you and give you options not tell you he can't help

Submitted June 28, 2014

Dr. Chow was amazing. I was rushed in with a ruptured aneurism. Thanks to him and the caring staff at the U of A HOSPITAL, I was out of the hospital in 3.5 weeks with NO lasting effects. In the follow up, he sat and explained what happened, how it was repaired and compared it to the CT scan yesterday. He really set my mind at ease and would strongly recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2014

I was diagnosed with a spinal tumor after I suddenly had difficulty walking. I'm only 42 years old. I am told that only 1 in a million people will ever develop one of these. Dr. Chow was caring, informative and very knowledgable. It was his first spinal tumor and was very specific with all the risks that surgery entailed. He did a fabulous job I still have some generalized weakness on my left side but that was suspected. He was great and I thank my lucky stars that I had him as my doctor or I might have ended up in a wheelchair.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2013

Dr. Chow and his team successfully removed an aneurism from my Mother's brain today. Great thanks to the Doctor, his staff and the UofA hospital.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2012

Dr. Chow preformed emergency brain abscess surgery on my husband. He made a full recovery. Thank you always.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2012