Ratings for Dr. Stan Houston

Came back from Uganda after living there for 3 years with my wife, contracted malaria in the final week before flying home. Together my wife and I had malaria 9 times before this. Each time we took gold standard treatment of Coartem and, voilà, we got better within hours. This last time, however, the drug didn't work. I took a second and third drug which appeared to work. Dr. Houston was consulted for follow-up upon return. He told me my wife and I were stupid for not taking malaria prophylaxis. The expat community in Uganda is leery of taking a daily pill as prophylaxis as many of us stay in country for several years, and the safest drug for long term use (doxycycline) has not been effective in preventing malaria for some of our guests. The most effective drug, malarone is $4 per day and so unless you are a tropical disease specialist or someone with a snazzy health plan it is unaffordable to take for 3 years plus. Dr. Stanley was having none of it, and refused to discuss the cost-benefit of taking prophylaxis vs risking malaria without prophylaxis. His word seemed infallible, I suppose since he has travelled to east Africa on many trips he understands the plight of long-term expats? Nevertheless I found his rigidity on this and other topics, such as brushing off the risk of mental health risks of alternative prophylaxis such as Larium, to be worrisome. Is discussing nuances of treatment and other plans with patients not an option for tropical diseases? Maybe it is only the job for travel nurses. Finally, Dr. Houston scoffed at my current profession (agriculture) after I told him my education was in a different discipline but now I farm. Cuz every patient just wants to feel warm and fuzzy inside by having doc make fun of their career!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2016

I was referred to Dr. Houston in April of 2015 after becoming deathly ill. Dr. Houston refused to see me as a patient as he said I did not meet the criteria for an infectious disease. I was diagnosed with late stage Lyme disease in June of 2015 and had to seek out of pocket and out of province treatment to save my life.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2016

Dr. Houston refused to see me as I did not meet the criteria for an infectious disease. I was deathly ill and sought treatment out of province where I received a diagnosis of Lyme disease, Anaplasmosis, Bartonella and Babesia.. I am now on IV therapy and oral meds for the next year so I can kill this infection.. He needs to be educated about this and not bury his head in the sand!

flag | Submitted July 27, 2015

This guy sets aside time for me and is very patient with my rants. He has no knowledge of HIV alternatives but shares opinions about them. He is open minded and kind

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

My husband has been sick for a long time and in the last two years he has seen many doctors and almost all of them told him he was not ill - it was all in his head. Dr Houston was the first doctor in two years to do a thorough examination on my husband - none of the previous doctors could even be bothered to touch him. Dr Houston did his job properly as a doctor which is something my husband hasn't experienced from all of the other doctors he's seen in the past two years. Dr Houston has since referred my husband to a dermatologist who is very confident he will be able to diagnose and treat my husband's illness. Dr Houston's receptionist/assistant, Janet was always very pleasant and helpful and kept on top of my husband's file.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2012

Don't waste your time with this physician, quotes dogma but will provide no proof to support his views.Seems to have no problem leaving patients to suffer, from Lyme disease.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2012

A piller of knowledge in the area of HIV/Aids. Good communication skills, and shares the knowledge in the community by being involved in various media panels etc.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2007