Ratings for Dr. Randall Hecht

After reading a very negative review of Dr. Hecht and his staff I felt compelled to respond with my experience which continues to be completely different. When I was diagnosed with cancer Dr. Hecht was recommend to me by my surgeon and by former patients of his that I knew. He is a caring, accessible (by phone or email and this includes Seong) and respected by his peers. Because of his reputation in his field he was able to refer me to the leading liver and colon surgeons at UCLA. His staff could not be more efficient and caring. He will not B.S. you about your prognosis. He will not order unnecessary tests or procedures. I asked the same questions that the reviewer did about genetic testing and immune therapy. Dr. Hecht answered my questions and gave the sound medical reasons for them. Cancer is life or death. Wasting time on unnecessary testing and Phase 1 trials over sound science could tip the scales not in your favor. Dr. Hecht has been voted the last nine years as a "Super Doctor"( one of only eighteen doctors in California) in a rigorous, peer reviewed process. My prognosis continues to be good and remain confident in Dr. Hecht and his staff.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2015

Dr. Hecht's Nurse Practitioner "Kim Seong" is very unaccountable for anything, and impossible to reach, not to mention that she doesn't speak English very well. Not a problem if Dr Hecht were a good oncologist. He might be, but with us he proved inept or simply untruthful, either way..not good. Here's the inaccuracies I caught him stating. 1. Early Jan-2014: He said to me "Immunotherapy has not been shown to work on solid tumors". There is ample evidence from many Phase 1 trials have proven PD1, PDL1, OV, and and other such approaches had GREAT impact on many solid tumors. Could it be because UCLA makes a lot of money on Chemo ? You decide. 2. Early Feb-2014: He said "Genetic profiling using Claris or FoundationONE is not useful for directing therapy, mostly just for research". Very wrong, and this is obvious by just looking at what MDAnderson, Cancer Centers of America, City of Hope, and just about everyone else is doing these days. I'm sorry to share this but I felt it was my duty.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2014

I'm a cancer patient of Dr. Hecht's as well as a seasoned RN. I can say unequivocably that this guy is the BEST doctor I've come across in all my years of nursing. He's a walking encyclopedia and highly involved in oncological research. He's thorough, conscientious, and TRULY cares about the well-being of his patients. He's extremely personable, communicative, and takes time to thoroughly answer your questions. Most importantly, he's an OUTSTANDING doctor! If you end up having to wait over an hour in his office to see him, he's well worth the wait! I have nothing but praises for this guy and am grateful to have him for my doctor!

flag | Submitted October 27, 2011

This doctor does not know his patients. He has no personal relationship with them. They are numbers rather than names. He does not have facial recognition of them in hallways. He abandons his patients once they are hospitalized and refuses to answer pages by hospital staff, saying that once they are in the emergency room or in the hospital, everything is out of his hands. He is irritable with simple questions from people who are terminal and inoperable. He does not follow through in reading tests such as CT scans and then changing chemotherapies that are no longer working. He may be an excellent administrator, which is of course necessary, but as an oncologist with people who are fearful, dying, having life-threatening surgeries, he falls short of what is necessary in terms of being present, making hospital rounds, and offering his presence when the going gets rough.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2007