Ratings for Dr. John F. Elder

Dr. Elder & staff are top notch in my opinion. I have been seeing him for over 16 yrs for paps & menopause. Not only did he help me with hormones, he found a pharmacy in Colorado that synthetically compounds to your exact profile what you need ie., estrogen, progesterone & testosterone. I am 66 now & do not have one wrinkle in my face other than fine smile lines. I attribute this to his caring for my needs & wishes to not do chemicals like Prempro. Kristen also is very attentive & caring. Great place to stay healthy :-) D.S.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2012

I used doctor elder for my second pregnancy. He constantly tried to push inducement on me and told several women I knew that they needed C-sections due to a tilted cervix. I looked this up and a tilted cervix is a lot less likely to cause complications than a C-section is. Its just an excuse to plan births around his golf schedule. He also gave me nothing for the pain after I gave birth which is still hurting 4days later. I even called his office the day after I left the hospital and told them I felt like I had popped a stitch. Dr Elder recommended I take tylenol.

flag | Submitted August 23, 2012

Dr. Elder is a very good doctor. He delivered my child and several of my friends children. I was not induced, and I had a natural child birth. He has decades of experience, and plans differently for each pregnancy. I would highly reccomend his expertice. His staff is helpfull anytime you call, and with any questions you may have.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2011

I used Dr. Elder with with 2nd pregnancy and everything was GREAT. He never once brought up being induced to me. I actually asked to be induced but he didn't want me to. He wanted me to give it a little more time. I did end up going into labor on my own and had a natural child birth.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2010

I have used Dr. Elder & his staff for my last 2 pregnancies. He & his office staff are WONDERFUL!My 1st pregnany ended in a loss at @ 20 weeks. Dr Elder was very compassionate & supportive. I do realize that this happens & it is not the fault of Dr Elder.He is a very educated & skilled physician. I was NOT pushed into a C-Section or an Induction. Many people who have inductions or c/s do so by choice!I would highly recommend him to someone who is looking for a single practioner . If someone is looking to have a 42 week "natural birth" with no intervention then the midwifes in athens are great!

flag | Submitted December 12, 2008

Dr. Elder was my doctor for our first pregnancy. I developed potential complications early in the first trimester(which were brushed off)and went on to miscarry at 18 weeks. I had to have labor induced, deliver the baby and have a D&C to deliver the placenta. Dr. Elder did not attend the delivery and he or his staff never even called to see how I was doing emotionally or physically. No one from his office even said "I'm sorry" to me or my husband. It was as if this were the first time they had dealt with pregnancy loss. I feel that Dr. Elder may be a good doctor for a "textbook" pregnancy (although he will want to give you a scheduled C-section) but has no bedside manner when and if things get complicated. Instead of alleviating any stress or pain, he and his staff made a challenging situation even more difficult.

flag | Submitted August 25, 2008

Dr. Elder has been my doctor for 8 years. My first pregnancy was with triplets and he was excellent! He is calm, confident and knowledgeable - that was just what we needed. My 2nd pregnancy was fine until about 33 weeks I went into labor... Dr. Elder was wonderful and I carried until 37 weeks. Both pregnancies were stressful and he just made me feel so at ease. I love his staff. I never have to wait and they know me by name. He listens to all my questions... I never feel rushed. I did have C sections with both. My husband and I trust his judgement and I could not have asked for better care.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2008

Dr. Elder is very much a planned birth OB/GYN. The majority of his expectant mothers are inductions and planned cesarean births. He is definitely not a good doctor to go to if you are planning a natural birth. He had a very negative attitude toward me when I was planning to have my birth be a natural one. For this reason, I rated him as a 1 in the helpful category. He also was knowledgeable about statistics and the medical aspects about birth, but wasn't very knowledgeable about pain coping techniques or the new trend in natural birthing. Nor was he tolerant of my doula. His staff smelled like stale cigarettes and obviously shared his views on birthing. I am sure he would be a great doctor if you intend on a planned cesarean or induction.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2007

Dr. John F. Elder's Credentials

• Medical College Of Georgia (Grad. 1974)