Ratings for Dr. Ted Findlay

I think this doctor should not be working with chronic pain patients. He has poor people skills and acts like he knows everything even though he is not very helpful. I found much better treatment elsewhere. I wish the Chronic Pain Centre would read these reviews and act accordingly.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2017

I saw this physician at the chronic pain center. Much of what I experienced has been noted by others, but I'll say my piece anyway. I waited 30 min to be seen. The "2.5 hr assessment" that I waited over two years for was over in 45min. Before I stated my goals, I got a lecture that started with "we can't cure you." He paraphrased me incorrectly numerous times, was aloof and patronizing. He has an air of skepticism that is off putting, and he exhibits minimal compassion or curiosity. I doubt what I had to say mattered much, and I ended up giving up trying to help him help me help myself. Sloppy diagnostic and assessment skills. Very little physical examination - I've had far more through exams by physiotherapists and even massage therapists. Woefully disappointing on all fronts. I wasn't looking for a miracle cure, but I was looking for someone to take a very thorough look at my issues and past treatments, and provide guidance. I didn't need a cold skeptic to try to pick apart my statements and ignore my suffering. The bad news for those of you on the Chronic Pain wait list who are reading this, is that you can't request a different physician if you have been assigned to his treatment team. So, I'd suggest that you do groups and get connected with others at the center before you see him. Have very low expectations going in. Jump through the hoop of seeing him and then find other staff to work with who have more compassion. Keep searching for a pain specialist who can assess you ongoing and provide any medical treatment/medication as required. Build yourself a team who can help, whether therapists, physio, dieticians, etc. Keep trying.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2017

Dr. Findlay had an arrogance and wafting condescension during my experience under his care. No, a physician does not have to coddle patients, however, patronizing questioning rendered his assessment more damaging to me than good. One must have some sort of rapport with a physician, as you are being asked to share very personal feelings and experiences upon first meeting, which I found very difficult and uncomfortable. It does not matter, for a patient, if he has all the knowledge in the world, if a patient cannot believe that he does have some level of actual concern for their health. Not a good fit for me.

flag | Submitted May 10, 2017

agree with lady below. if u get him at the pain centre avoid him. he doesn't look at other doctors reports,creates his own diagnosis without a full exam. will not prescribe meds and will take you off med cold turkey. a complete and utter waste of time. if u have the money go private. he's all about the power and not the patient.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

Arrogant, not listening, after 30 minutes without any test he puts down what other doctors did and prescribed. Did not even have the data on my files wright Will not see him again

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

Disrespectfull.it's all in your head. Doesn't believe or listen to your pain. Basically get another doctor. I agree with everyone's statements .he's not interested

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

Dr Findlay has cancelled several appointments, is arrogant and condescending and very unhelpful. I was shocked at his absolute disregard about getting to the bottom of my pain that has been a problem for years. After some terrible injury accidents I could not get him to send me for an MRI or CT Scan. All he was interested in is getting me moving, belittling me about the medication that is working and implying that my pain meds were the reason I was in pain. Unbelievable he is even allowed to practice. If I ran my business like he does and treated customers like they were bothering me I would be living in a cardboard box. If you get a referral to the Pain Clinic avoid him. His assistant Dr was a very nice man who was very engaged but he to was constantly be interrupted by Findlay. What a piece of work!

flag | Submitted December 13, 2016

A great chronic pain doctor with great experience . Just recommended him to my son

flag | Submitted May 30, 2016

I have unfortunately been refferd to this moron called a specialist are you kidding me he was the last to find out walking around kneecap bone one bone frigging moron cut me off my meds there are so many other problems I have he could give anothing not recommended for the worst of the worst he don't deserve to be a chronic pain Dr cant call him nothing but an idiot

flag | Submitted March 22, 2016

Dr. Findlay is one of the worst doctors I have ever seen. Dr. Findlay cancelled an appointment I had waited almost three months for. Then, he was 40 minutes late for our next appointment. When he got in the room, he looked like he did not want to be there. I was waiting six months to see him, thinking he was a specialist, but I assure you, there was nothing special or pleasant about him. I have experienced severe chronic back and spinal pain after suffering from a spinal fracture. I have had this pain for several years. Only opiate drugs, not any less strong non-opiate pain killers I have tried, have reduced my pain enough for me to function without being in a lot of pain most of the time when I sit, stand or do anything physical. These opiate pills were a last resort and I never wanted to take them initially, knowing of their side effects. But when you have pain like I did and do, it is hard to say no to opiates. During my appointment with Dr. Findlay, he came across as arrogant, cold and distracted. He constantly interrupted everything I said and kept insisting my pain was not as bad as I thought it felt and that it was caused because of my depression and better than normal flexibility, which made no sense. I do not deny that my severe pain does influence my depression, and vice versa, but I know it is connected to my tailbone fracture, as all my pain happened after the fracture and in the general vicinity of the injury. I know my pain is severe since I can barely move when my pain is at its worst. I am flexibile because I have done dance for 10 years, when I was growing up, and also did a lot of Yoga and Pilates in my teens and early twenties. Non-opiate drugs, even strong ones like codene or Tylenol 4s, only bring my pain down from a 10/10 to a 8/10 at most. Dr. Findlay told me drugs like these and pain numbing creams would be just as effective at reducing my pain as the Oxycodene I take. I know from experience this is not true. The Oxycodene works way better than these other non-opiate drugs and numbing creams. Dr. Findlay clearly has no understanding as to how to treat chronic pain like mine or how to be kind, professional and sympathetic. He disrespected me in the appointment because he was minimizing my situation and the severity of my pain. He rushed through the appointment, did not even talk about medication, even when I asked him about it, as the painkillers were becoming less helpful, in terms of pain management. I had hoped for months that Dr. Findlay would be the first doctor to actually care about my pain, and the way it has created a half life for me, but he did not. He never even gave me other options for helping my pain. He told me no further tests for my pain would not show anything without explaining why. He just said to get a back brace and do more physio. I did a ton of physio for two years and had seen more than one physiotherapists, and went to each as many times as I could with my health plan. None of the physiotherapists' advice, nor the excercises they told me to do daily, had helped at all, even when I did the exercise well and on a daily basis. Dr. Findlay knew this. Physio exercises actually increased my pain. Dr. Findlay told me that I should do accupunture and do not have arthritis when two other specialists told me acupuncture would be ineffective for my level of pain and that I, indeed, do have arthritis, which Dr. Findly failed to see from an MRI that I got. Dr. Ted Findlay is incompetent, arrogant, unprofessional, cold, insensitive and rude. Avoid him if you can. All the doctors I have seen about my pain have failed to give me anything but a perscription for pain. None have really given me other alternatives for pain management that have been effective. Hopefully, I can find some which actually do care and give advice that actually helps to reduce my pain.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016