Ratings for Dr. Doug M. Hershkowitz

Dr. Hershkowitz was called in to evaluate my condition the two times that I was hospitalized. He left me staying in the hospital, (each time), for three-days. He claimed that he had not come to see me because he had not yet read my MRI or because he had been too busy. Dr. Hershkowitz billed me over $600.00. I have refused to pay him because of his inferior practices. I saw him one time at his office. He could not find anything wrong with my back. I elected to work with an orthopedic surgeon who, immediately, (after viewing one of my MRI's), that I had a compressed disc and needed surgery. Dr. H, in my opinion, is money-hungry. He is, however, known to be an excellent brain surgeon. I cannot recommend him! I would encourage people to find a great neurosurgeon in Sarasota, FL and to, always, get "second opinions". As well, I encourage people to get two MRI's. Not all radiologists know how to correctly read an MRI nor do all doctors. MRI's are not fool-proof. MRI equipment, how one is positioned, where a tech focuses can cause errors.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Dr was very helpful in explaining problems with me. He answered all my questions and I am also very comfortable working with him. A his PA is a kind and caring ,honest, thorough person who put me at ease . The staff is very organized and takes care of everything at the time of apt setting up test etc.,for you. This is a Dr, I will stick with he was good at give gaining my confidence due to his knowledge and for following through with testing and talking in a down to earth fashion.

Submitted October 22, 2016

Dr H has done several lumbar and cervical fusions on me. Excellent results almost immediately. God bless this wonderful man.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2015

I had hip & leg pain as well as sciatica. Dr H. Tells me I need media branch block. He performed the procedure in OR with partial anesthesia. Two weeks after he needs to cauterize the nerve endings. Again I went to the OR 2 or 3 weeks later for that procedure. No help with pain. Now he tells me it will take a month to see results. Meantime my hip pain and sciatica is no better. He tells me then that the other two procedures would not help that's pain, just the back. Now, to get rid of that hip and leg pain I need a decompression Laminectomy surgery. I agreed to go ahead with that because the pain was so bad. After surgery, I was sent home in 2 days with home physical therapy which was nothin that couldn't be explained in 1 or 2 visits but continued for a few weeks. Six weeks later I am in worse pain than when I first went to see Dr H. Next week I go back for an office call. Meanwhile I can't even shop for groceries without an electric cart. I'm very discouraged and don't know where to go next.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2014

I did see Dr H he said I need therapy witch I did not received .My pain was so bad I could not seat ,walk or do any thing . The office stuf told me after many calls that my insurance did not approved. I did contuct my insurance they told me that they never received any papers from them. After many calls after that my in got worse, called my doctor in Chicago, Dr Kauffman told me to come to Chicago will get better care, I did went to Chicago , after many weeks I could not get my MRI from Dr. H offce had anather MRI in Chicago then I received MRI fom Dr H the dotors did read both MRI and tld me I need surgery not therapy I got one of 5 best nerosurgent in Chicago removed 5 disk from my Lower lombar no plates or fusion and after 3 months of therapy am like new person,o pain I would not recoment this office to any one, go North to get good health care. Best care up North Shore Hospital in Skokie, Il.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2014

I had l-5 s1 herniation, he did surgury but didn't explain procedures. He said I would be 100% better post surgury,I am not and he doesn't want to hear it. He also got mad at me for the way the nurse at the hospital bandaged my back. He literally shoved me against the wall and then started yank off the bandages. My wife told him to becaful because he was being so ruff! I Had lost my medicade insurance he doesn't remember that! I tell him every time, I believe he is upset because he doesn't have a way to make more money off more procedures. He doesn't even remember what procedure he had done on me? One time he asked if I wanted another shot, I never had one I told him and had surgury. You would think he would look at the chart he has from my case. 1.5 years later he still doesn't remember and is just to over competent. He thinks I'm lying about my pain, so he ordered another MRI and saw that my vertebrae is falling! now he wants to do a fusion! But won't help with the pain. NO GOOD

flag | Submitted September 25, 2013

This man has only one thing on his mind. MONEY! When you are in his exam room he rarely looks at you and appears to be in a huury to get to the next victim. I need a neurosurgeon,but I am not going to waste my $30 copay and the $100+ he overcharges the insurance company.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2011

He lied on my medical records about my condition. aloud me to suffer in pain for 18 months. i went to a new dr. and was immediatly fixed.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2010

This doctor will not spend time with you-he has his assistant do that. When my husband had his pre and post op appts, the doctor was in the room a total of 10 minutes, altogether. He nearly ran into my husband in the hall and acted as if we weren't even there. When my husband had his surgery, he was supposed to be awakened for part of it-that didn't happen. The doctor told me he just put the implant and "close to the same spot as possible" but had to cut some bone, and move some nerves. NOT what he was supposed to do. He may be an excellent doctor but you can't prove it by our experience with him. He does not have time for all the patients he has. Post op appt took over 2 hours and we saw him for a few minutes? Please. I think there is a bit of a God complex going on here, truly. His staff is very friendly, though.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2010

Excellent job with spinal stenosis operation that took 5.5 hours. very conscientious

flag | Submitted July 4, 2010

Dr. Doug M. Hershkowitz's Credentials

• Albert Einstein College Of Medicine Of Yeshiva University (Grad. 1988)

AARP