Ratings for Dr. Richard A. Dickes

DANGEROUS AND IRRESPONSIBLE IMO What follows is my opinion about this MD based on my having been a patient of his and having compared him against several other MDs. This quack put me on a higher-than-recommended amount of an antidepressant (he told me this at the time), which caused severely debilitating physical and mental effects and devastated my life for years afterwards. I was even unable to walk properly while taking this higher dose, so extreme was it, and I had been taking a recommended amount with no such effects for more than a year previously. However, sadly, that was not the worst of it. I was also placed on an additional antidepressant at this time which caused severe disorientation and psychotic symptoms which I had never even come close to experiencing previously. This toxic brew, and the extreme mental and emotional disturbances that it caused in me, cost me a suicide attempt and a psychiatric hospitalization at a fairly young age -- within just a few months. The loss of self-confidence which ensued sent me on a downward spiral for several years afterwards. It took me about five years in all just to start to put my life together after this cataclysmic experience, and I still don't believe that I am today where I would be in my overall life situation had this not occurred. In hindsight, all I needed was help with my abusive and depressing family situation; instead I went into Dickes' office with depression and came out with something much more serious. To be fair, Dickes was not the only shrink I was sent to during this period of my life, so in a way, this stint was merely continuing a trend. However, it seems to me that it was his markedly poor decisions with my prescriptions that were directly responsible for sending my brain chemistry over the edge, to depths which I have no reason to believe that I would have experienced otherwise, and from which I have had to suffer a very long and painful recovery, one which is still ongoing many years later. I would say that this experience set me back a decade in all versus where I would be today had my life never fallen apart. Never trust this guy with your brain chemistry, is all I can tell you.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2015

I have been using him for years and very satisfied.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2014

BEWARE! I went in there for depression, he diagnosed me schizophrenic. Put me on multiple debilitating medications, nearly killed me mentally. Ruined my life for years. The worse meds made me feel, the doses went up to the point I could no longer walk (and I was an athlete in high school). He nearly killed me with obscene amounts of drugs. You've been warned. By the way, after detoxing from all the meds, I went on to college, a great career, and a pillar of my community. I did pretty good for a 'schizophrenic' didn't I? And no, I never needed those meds to get to where I am today. I wouldn't piss on this guy if he was on fire.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

He's a bit socially awkward (perhaps he has Asperger's), but don't let that throw you - he is a fantastic diagnostician, excellent in figuring out which meds to prescribe and is an extremely ethical doctor.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2013

Dr. Dickes portrays the typical stigma of psychiatry. He show zero eye contact and displays minimal social skills. If this is intimidating look else where. However, he works through medicine to address your underlying issues with thorough knowledge and education. An astute psychiatrist with thorough knowledge of the mental medical world. If you need help through medication this individual is an A+. If you need a therapist find a psychotherapist not a psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted January 20, 2013

Dr. Dickes is the first doctor that diagnosed my daughter correctly. She had seen many doctors who gave her antidepressants when she really needed a medication for mood disorder and anxiety.She is like a different person now and she really likes him and he listens to her. If you want talk therapy, you need to find a therapist...psychiatrists do not do that anymore..they work hand in hand with therapists..but mostly prescribe the medication so the person has the ability to stop "drowning" and can handle having and benefiting from talk therapy.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2012

He never looked at me, always had his eyes on the computer. Didn't listen to me effectively, but always was willing to write different prescriptions- one of which landed me in the ER with a catheter for one week. At one point, he was prescribing me EIGHT different medications. I ADVISE YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOCTOR! I had to learn this lesson the hard way.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2011

Very bad psychiatrist. Does not believe in psychotherapy one bit, and instead fails to make eye contact with the client. Believes in meds, meds and more meds. Has no certification in Child Psych, and did his residency at one of the worst hospitals in the Bronx ghetto. Very antisocial, and possibly has Asperger's syndrome. Needs psychiatry himself, since his social skills and bedside manner are shoddy. Has a very antiquated approach to behavioral medicine, and he is decidedly anti-holistic, and anti-therapy. Espouses an approach that is ineffective at getting to the core of the issues at hand and changing behaviors. Would recommend a doctor with more training in psychotherapy modalities, and who takes a more holistic approach to addressing psychological disorders, unless you are only seeking medications, which may or may not work on their own. Maybe better for adults than children.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2009

Our pediatrician referred my 11 y.o. son to this dr. for psych eval. During the intake session he answered his phone more than a few times, made appts. with other pts. all on our time. He didn't make eye contact with my son, just kept typing the info into his computer, asking text book questions and not really listening to us. We got nowhere on the first session, told us to return in a month. Meanwhile my son was suffering badly with depression and suicidal thoughts. I just wanted to help him so we kept the next appt. Same thing, he answered his phone during the session and was very detatched and just didn't seem to care. I felt uncomfortable with this dr. He gave him RX's that didn't help at all, changed meds 4 times in a year. We stopped going to Dr. Dickes and will never see him again.

flag | Submitted July 29, 2009

I went to him for suspected ADD. He didn't test me. I described the situation, he asked me a couple questions, then just asked why I was there. He then filled out a prescription with instructions and sent me on my way. I followed up with him for medication a few more times. He immediately said he wasn't available for counseling. He is very cold. Very dull. He has a bit of an attitude problem and seems like he doesn't care at all. Very unfriendly. Who knows? Maybe he is different under different circumstances or with more interesting candidates.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2009

Dr. Richard A. Dickes's Credentials

• Albert Einstein College Of Medicine Of Yeshiva University (Grad. 1967)

Top Urgent Care Centers in Morristown, NJ