Ratings for Dr. Gerald A. Fishman

Dr Fishman is one of the nicest doctors I have ever dealt with, my 15 y.o daughter sees him on a yearly basis for RP, and he's very informative, answers questions, and keeps up with the newest treatments. Gives hope, and is very optimistic!!!

flag | Submitted April 17, 2013

My son and my grandson both have congenital achromatopsia and we have been seeing Dr. Fishman for more than 30 years. Recently I read an article that was published in the newspaper regarding this disease that made it sound as though gene therapy to correct this disease would be available for treatment within the next 12 months or so. I immediately made an appointment with Dr Fishman (did not have to wait 8 months) flew across the country to make sure my son and my grandson (also born with the same disease)were candidates for this kind of treatment. Dr Fishman is a world authority in this disease and he is also a realist. He drew blood for genetic testing, but was very frank about the fact that even though the article in the newspaper was technically correct, treatment of this type was years away. We were disappointed, but we also had the truth. I have found him to be a very compassionate man and we were fortunate to have have been referred to him when my oldest son was 4 yrs old.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2012

I strongly disagree with the glowing reviews of Dr. Fishman. I have been seeing him for about 5 years and he started out good, but has gotten significantly worse. He is rude and pompous. He is very full of himself also. I self diagnosed myself with a disease I never knew I had. I am a teacher for students with autism and have been for over 19 years. Dr. Fishman once told me he was worried that I would trample small children because my vision was so poor. I still pass my driving tests and have been living with no peripheral vision for over 30 years. Dr. Fishman has no clue what it is like to live with limited vision and I was crushed that he would say something so heartless to me. I can never get appointments and it is not worth that wait. God forbid you have to reschedule. You wait 8 to 9 months for an appointment and then a situation arises that cannot be changed and now you have to wait another 8 months. NO THANK YOU. Retire already

flag | Submitted August 23, 2011

I read the previous 2 reviews and I do not agree with them. I have seen at least 6 retinal experts and did not find Fishman to be as good as he is thought to be. I know he is invited to speak at seminars and conferences but when it came to dealing with him on a personal basis, I found him uncaring and full of himself. Not to mention that when I called to make an appointment I was given one 8 months later! I wish it was worth the wait. His staff was friendly at first but later became hostile. I participated in a study they sponsored but they would not give adequate explanation of the results.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2008

Dr. Fishman is the foremst retina expert in the country and probably the world. He is a genius, bow-tie and all! If you are lucky enough to get an appointment, take advantage now bacuase the man is getting older.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2008

For more exact info on Dr Fishman you need to do your own research, he is highly specialized and I think he may only see new patients via referrals. After over two years of searching and what seemed hopeless I finally found someone who knew what he was doing. Although my condition has no cure, at least now I know what it is and can manage it and prepare for my future with less uncertainly. It was a surprising change to find someone who actually took the time to explain things to their patients. Thanks you!

flag | Submitted August 20, 2007

Dr. Gerald A. Fishman's Credentials

• Oh State Univ Coll Of Med, Columbus Oh 43210 (Grad. 1969)