Ratings for Dr. Irene G. Gurvits

Run, don't walk, away from this "Doctor". She needs help!

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

I was a patient of Dr. Gurvits for 7 years, initially coming for help with depression and anxiety. Wait time for any appointment was at least an hour, usually 90 minutes. In a nutshell, my experience with this doctor was extremely negative. I felt like an experiment. She had me on 3 or 4 meds at any one time, including Seroquel, Effexor, Klonopin, and Lamictal. Tons of complications and side effects, to which her answer was MORE MEDS. I was underwater for years. At a certain point, with my career in jeopardy, I wanted to get off the meds. She threatened to have me committed and put me on additional meds and sent me to a hospital for psychiatric testing. About halfway through I just quit - quit the study, quit her, and decided to taper off the meds in hope of getting out of it alive. 3 years later, I'm still human, ups and downs, but unmedicated and living above water. Medication can be helpful when prescribed well, but when prescribed like this doctor does, it can be deadly.

flag | Submitted November 1, 2013

I used Dr. Gurvits for several years, and the appointments went from ok to bad to worse. By the end she was barely coherent: She interrogated me about details from 15 years back that were irrelevant for HOURS on end, and claimed some stranger had been writing in my chart while she scribbled all over past entries. Back when she was ok, I referred someone to her, someone I knew fairly well, and she told me this other patient's personal financial woes!! It's astonishing she's still practicing, she's completely unfit. Her most messed-up patients are in much better shape than she is. STAY AWAY.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2013

I have never encountered a more unprofessional and offensive professional (of any sort, much less a physician). I waited over an hour for my appointment and was met a surly and unapologetic Dr. Gurvits who was still finishing up her paper work on the patient prior to me. She actually looked like she was angry to see me. I had made my appointment to talk about coming OFF of medication and when I couldn't remember details of doctor's names and phone numbers over the past 15 years, she concluded that there was something suspect about me and refused to prescribe me anything at all. While taking my medical history, she scoffed at my ability to recall certain information and when I did give her relevant information, she took no interest in exploring, or really even listening, to it. I shouldn't be so quick to judge her on that though . . . she could have just been preoccupied by the two personal phone calls she took during our session. The woman is a disgrace to the field.

flag | Submitted July 1, 2011

Very awful doctor. Careless, inattentive, rude.I waited for an hour, my appointment lasted for 23 minutes, ending with Dr. Gurvits saying that she refuses to treat me, accusing me in attempt to conceal information, when, in fact, due to a long period of time, I couldn't remember the information she was asking for. She was demeaning and insulting, preoccupied for the first ten minutes of the meeting and then too busy ridiculing me and my experience at a hospital for the rest, after dismissing me very rudely and announcing to her staff: refund her co-pay, I will not be treating her. I have never been treated in this awful manner before.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2011

Nothing personal but she is a real mess. 1) She does spend more time talking about herself (her love of coffeemate creamer and how she manages men) and very little time asking questions that would give her data to make an informed decision. 2) She does give out information about patients. I know about other patients' sex lives and marriages. 3) She is unprofessional- Taking personal calls during the session and always late.

flag | Submitted July 28, 2010

I'm so glad to see some complaints on this site. Dr. Gurvitz is a perfect example as to why there is a prescription drug abuse problem in this country. She was so eager to give me samples of multiple drugs, she gave me whatever I asked for and prescribed 4 different drugs for my anxiety. She also told me I looked like I could lose 10 lbs. so she prescribed Topamax to me. Now, I was young and willing to take anything to feel better but this drug is an anti-seizure medication! The combination of drugs made me downright suicidal. Turns out, I became addicted and had to go to rehab. I do not blame her for my addiction, but I really don't think that she helped by encouraging that I take multiple, very addictive drugs. I've now been drug free for 3 years and have NEVER felt better. And yes, she smoked during my sessions too (which at the time I thought was cool but now I think is downright unprofessional)

flag | Submitted May 20, 2010

I waited over an hour to see her, and then the appt ran 2+ hours. On my way out, she told me she typically runs between 2-3 hours late, but will call to let me know HOW late she will be. Unprofessional, much??? She also stated a policy of not changing meds for 3 weeks for a new patient; unfortunately, I was there in order to change meds. Policy made no sense whatsoever. She also refused to write prescriptions and insisted instead on giving me samples of slightly different meds (ie XR instead of an IR I'd been taking successfully for years) to "save money." I said I didn't mind paying for the correct version but she refused. I had a very strong sense there was an agenda tied to giving samples instead of writing prescriptions. On the whole, a very strange and highly unprofessional experience, and not one I'd care to repeat.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2010

All I can say is I've never had a Dr. (especially a psychiatrist!) care so much about me and take the time to get to know what's wrong w/ me because she actually wanted to help! Sure, she's never on time - not because she's out shopping - but because she goes so far over the alloted time w/ each patient. I can't even count how may of my visits went twice as long as I expected - or any other Dr. (who only cared about the money) would spend w/ me. I also think it's great (and somewhat comical) that she told me what I needed to hear (often) - versus what I wanted to hear - and gave me the kick in the ass at times that was truly necessary. I couldn't recommend her more and think she is great.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2010

For all of you unsatisfied patients, here's my take on "the Gurvits".. she may not be on time (ever) but when she's with you she's extremely helpful. She knows her**** and I trust every sarcastic, hysterical, and wise comment that comes out of her mouth. For those of you who claim she told you that you were overweight, that is most likely because you are; she would only say that if you were 350+ lbs. I have been coming to her for 2 years and the medications I'm on couldn't be more helpful. All of those other nasty comments are horrible and discriminatory. This woman has quite simply saved my life and I would recommend her to anyone who is patient and open-minded. And if you have a problem with the "rude comments" why don't you say something? She will definitely not ignore you. This woman is here to help.

flag | Submitted December 21, 2009

Dr. Irene G. Gurvits's Credentials

• Mount Sinai School Of Medicine Of City University Of New York (Grad. 1995)