You may also like

There is a post that is a few posts below this one that is quite unfair to Dr. Toyota. My experiences with the doctor have always been pleasant. He is definitely a compassionate human being. Dr. Toyota is an amazing physician. He operated on me in early 2013. He always treated me with grace and dignity. This was very helpful because for a long time my symptoms impacted my memory and attention span and made me feel quite ill. His staff are very kind, competent and considerate too. I will say that he is a surgeon and not a life coach or rehab specialist, so if you have issues following your surgery it is best to seek additional resources.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

With regard to my post of December 29 2015, beginning with the words "Yes he is known far and wide....", I HEREBY RETRACT THIS POST AND THESE COMMENTS. They are invalid and unwarranted and were made in a severely depressive state of anger related to my PTSD. I asked Rate MD to delete this post and they have not done so. I deeply regret my comments regarding Dr. Toyota.

flag | Submitted December 30, 2015

Yes, he is known far and wide as a top surgeon. But as a human being? As he told my son, he would die soon, from his brain tumour, dr Toyota could not have presented it more I humanely, more coldly, more total without any compassion. Not one kind word. Just tell us the facts, and get out of my office, so I can get to the next case. This one was a loss. No money or what? We didn't speak, we just cried and left this heartless hole's office. After so many years doing this, he is just a skillful machine. Humanity has left him.

Submitted December 29, 2015

Dr. Toyota is a remarkable doctor. I moved to Calgary and the Tom Baker allowed my tumour to grow into an entirely different section of my brain without notifying me. When I was finally shown my scan I sent a copy to Dr. Toyota who did surgery immediately. It was the second surgery he did for me and I can't imagine feeling safe in any doctor's hands but his. He genuinely made me and makes me feel like I'm part of his family. Having Dr. Toyota as my neurosurgeon is, simply put, my gift from God. My boys are 7 and 4 and I hope to see them become men. Thank you Dr. Toyota may God bless you and your family immensely!

flag | Submitted April 2, 2015

I cannot speak highly enough of Dr. Toyota and his staff at VGH. Although he specializes in tumors, my specific condition was quickly worsening, and he accepted my case without making me feel like I was second tier. I received fast-track MRIs and CT scans, my surgery was booked quickly, and follow up appointments were scheduled quickly as well- which was perfect, because by the time I went into surgery, I couldn't breathe on my own while sleeping without a tube, and I was on a liquid diet. He explained everything simply and thoroughly, and was kind, caring and matched my level of concern. I never felt overwhelmed. He dropped by prior to surgery, and every day afterwards, even when he could have just let his residents take that over (his residents visited as well). My incision was barely shaved, which was a huge bonus, and it healed extremely quickly. When I experienced post-surgery complications, due to some extensive swelling, he saw me immediately and booked my tests within a week, in case I was experiencing the swelling at the brain stem as well/ any leaks. We came up with a plan on how to attack this together, so I never felt scared or upset, simply like it was just something to check off of a list. His secretary, Nahid, is spectacular- she is not only very kind and thoughtful, she is thorough with paperwork and ordering tests, and simply a pleasure to deal with. His residents are all very thoughtful and knowledgeable; Dr. Bader was able to diagnose my condition within minutes of seeing me in the ER, even though my condition is rare, and knew to refer me to Dr. Toyota immediately to discuss surgery. If I could give more stars in the rating, I would.

flag | Submitted February 28, 2015

I am a 35 year old, healthy male that had a suspected "low grade-brain tumour" removed in a 3-4 hr. operation (parietal craniotomy) last Friday by Dr. Toyota and have nothing but positive info to share. From my first meeting with him he inspired confidence, explained my options, and gave me the time to make my own choice regarding the "op". He told me of the possible risks involved, the likelihood of said risks occurring and was right on point AND right on schedule. He called me at home before surgery to answer questions and his positive, confident outlook helped to put my family at ease. He is a gifted surgeon with a bedside manner to match. In my limited experience with neurosurgeons he is the best as I had another Dr. who although seems technically skilled, unfortunately lacks some of the communications skills which are also essential when a patient is facing these "scary" procedures. Dr Toyota is awesome!

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015

I highly recommend Dr.Toyota if you are looking for an outstanding surgeon. He did surgery on my right frontal lobe and from the beginning took such good care of me. He has the personal skills to make you feel comfortable and answers all questions with confidence and grace. He is a caring person and truly brilliant!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2014

Dr. Toyota performed brilliant surgery removing Glioblastoma multiforme tumor from my head. After the surgery I had very fast recovery, didn't even had a headache. He was able to clean the tumor and to restore the affected brain functions. I think I was incredibly lucky to be his patient! Wow!

flag | Submitted July 22, 2014

Dr. Toyota removed a meningioma 2 weeks ago for me and within about 5 days I was feeling really good. Today I look and feel almost back to normal. Dr Toyota is an incredibly skilled surgeon and a good person who demonstrates a balance of professionalism and care in every interaction. I feel truly blessed to have been referred to him, he took a terrifying situation and made it manageable in so many ways. I highly recommend Dr Toyota to anyone looking for an amazing neurosurgeon. You need to choose carefully when you're picking the person who is going to crack your skull and get access to your brain. You couldn't make a better choice than Dr Toyota.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2013

Dr. Toyota performed surgery to remove a benign meningioma from the front part of my skull in the forehead area. I had mild symptoms of headache and a swelling the size of a robins egg prior to the surgery. Since the age of 16 yrs old, this is my second surgery for a similar tumor. I felt completely confident that this doctor was competent, knowledgeable and efficient. He treated me professionally and sympathetically as did his staff. he listened to my fears and concerns patiently and kindly. He was appropriately witty. But best of all, he took care of me and my husband so that we went into the surgery feeling confident of his skills and knowledge and commitment and we left feeling the same. My first tumor was a nightmare afterward and this was nothing like that. Having experienced stroke and paralysis for 2 yrs., I was not anxious to have that happen again. If I could give him a 10 I would! Thank you! We are truly Grateful to you!

flag | Submitted June 21, 2012

Dr. Brian Toyota's Credentials

MSP/BC Med

Updates

• A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "There is a post that is a few posts below this one that is quite unfair to Dr. Toyota. My experiences with the doctor have always been pleasant. He is definitel..."

January 29, 2016
  • A new 3.5-star rating has been posted. "With regard to my post of December 29 2015, beginning with the words "Yes he is known far and wide....", I HEREBY RETRACT THIS POST AND THESE COMMENTS. They a..."

December 30, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Yes, he is known far and wide as a top surgeon. But as a human being? As he told my son, he would die soon, from his brain tumour, dr Toyota could not have pr..."

December 29, 2015
  • A new 2-star rating has been posted. "Two family doctors have been trying to get an appointment for me with Dr. Toyota to assess the tumour in my right temporal lobe. We have been told that this are..."

May 9, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Toyota is a remarkable doctor. I moved to Calgary and the Tom Baker allowed my tumour to grow into an entirely different section of my brain without notify..."

April 2, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I cannot speak highly enough of Dr. Toyota and his staff at VGH. Although he specializes in tumors, my specific condition was quickly worsening, and he accepte..."

February 28, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I am a 35 year old, healthy male that had a suspected "low grade-brain tumour" removed in a 3-4 hr. operation (parietal craniotomy) last Friday by Dr. Toyota an..."

January 29, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I highly recommend Dr.Toyota if you are looking for an outstanding surgeon. He did surgery on my right frontal lobe and from the beginning took such good care o..."

September 12, 2014