Ratings for Dr. Diane F. Gutterman

I saw Dr Gutterman for twelve years and finally left in disgust. Though she is kind, friendly, and warm, she also is coercive and she does not follow evidenced-based practices. After many years of being very heavily medicated with frequent medication changes and dosage adjustments - sometimes weekly dosage changes- I finally insisted on trying to go off the medications entirely. She took me off a handful of medications in just three weeks time, at which point I began to experience severe withdrawal symptoms. She made me "admit defeat" and agree that I "needed" the drugs before she would prescribe them again to alleviate my symptoms. At any one time, I may have been taking 8-10 different medications a day - benzos, stimulants, sleep aids, anti-depressants, anti-convulsants, anti-psychotics, narcotic pain relievers, muscle relaxers, prescriptions NSAIDS, etc. Thanks to Dr Gutterman, I spent many, many years on disability and lost a great deal of potential productivity that I will never regain. She drilled the concept of medication compliance into my head, and the idea that I was severely mentally ill, rather than helping me recover from the severe traumas I had endured in my youth. She sees patients for therapy even though has no specific qualifications to be giving therapy. She saw me three days a week in the early years and I was quite a cash cow for her over the years. It took a couple more years, but I eventually got off the meds and am doing quite well now, no thanks to her. She far prefers to talk about politics than your problems. Additionally, she is extremely disorganized. Patient files lay open on her coffee table and piles of mail are stacked on every available surface. You will almost certainly spend some time waiting in the hallway for her as she is rarely on time for appointments unless she is already in the office. She plays loud classical music in the waiting room on a poorly tuned radio with terrible reception - the static will make you crazy if you aren't already. Her fax machine is often broken. Oh, and she LOVES pharmaceutical reps. Seriously, she's probably a great friend, but she's an awful doctor.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

This 'doctor' is beyond shady. She will prescribe numerous medications and try to get you on the highest dosage of them. If one medication does not work, instead of trying a different drug she will just recommend that you take yet another drug. Expect to be a walking zombie by the time she is done with you. The only upside to her is that she will spend as much time with you as you need and she will answer questions. Sadly, she will also lie by saying that the very dangerous medications that she prescribes are very safe. She has zero staff and her office is a very filthy apartment room which smells like urine. The only way to schedule an appointment is by answering machine, and she rarely returns calls. She will also lie and claimed she called even though you are home all day to know she didn't call and the number is not on your caller's log. In the past, I have showed up for appointments to find out that she isn't even there or have to wait in the hallway until she came.

flag | Submitted October 6, 2011

Dr. Diane Gutterman is a excellent,caring ,knowledgeable and very professional Psychiatrist who will go above and beyong for her patients. I was a patient of Dr. Gutterman about 10 years ago, because she was no longer in network with my insurance, I had to discontinue sessions with her; I am so grateful that Dr. Gutterman is now in network with my insurance and is taking new patients ,I can resume therapy with her.....She is the best!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2011

I have gone through many therapist's & am glad to finally have found someone like her. She is patient, kind, understanding & gives 100% --- she goes out of her way for her patients. I gave her a 4 for being on time, but that is only because if a patient needs a little longer, she tries to accomadate their needs, which can have her running a little late sometimes. I never mind waiting, because she gives me my time & doesn't sit their looking at the clock.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2010

How did this Doctor, and I use that word litely ever get her degree? I guestion everything about this Dr after my sister went to her for many, many years and only got worse!!Don't let anyone you care about use this Dr. if you really care, ask around, check out other Dr's if you see that person you love getting worse and being put on so , so many different medications. Question, Question, Question.It's to late for my sister now but, maybe, not yours,your family member's or friends.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2009

Can't keep quiet, my friend went to her for some 15 yrs or so.We fought for all that time to get her away from this dr. that was making her more and more crazy with all the drugs she was giving her. Now she got off of ALL her meds and has been a very productive citizen in the health field for more than 11 yrs.PLEASE FIND A DR THAT HAS THE PT's BEST INTEREST IN HEART,NOT HER OWN!!maybe, she doesn't have staff because they would blow the whisle.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2009

i feel as if dr gutterman needs mental help herself she ruined my sisters life for 20 years had her so drugged up she did't even know who she was she had her taking over 20 pills daily

flag | Submitted November 20, 2009

I have mixed feelings about Gutterman. First, she could benefit from hiring staff. I have been seeing her for a year and a half and she STILL does not know what my co-pay is. Sometimes there is a bit of a wait, up to a half hour. She is very knowledgeable and friendly, yet after being dependent on benzo's for quite some time, she is very unhelpful in getting me off of them. In fact, she is constantly trying to get me to go back up on them. I think she needs to be more responsible for the very addictive drugs that she puts people on, and try to be more understanding about withdrawal.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2009

Dr Guttermand is one of the best doctors I have worked with. She is compassionate, sypathetic, understanding, and patient. At the same time she is good at the 'tough love' tactic. I have worked with her for quite a while now and have found that she knows her stuff. She is current, but treats the individual. I am lucky to work with her and so would any one else. The only draw back that I have found is also a plus. Her office is small, no staff but her. It is in an apartment building and actually quite inviting. However, for the most part the only way to contact her after hours is through her answering machine...unless althernative arrangements have been made.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2007

Dr. Diane F. Gutterman's Credentials

• University Of Miami School Of Medicine (Grad. 1976)