You may also like

Ratings for Dr. John P. Masciale

After many years of severe back pain that limited my walking that seriously impacted the quality of my life, I moved to TX and found Dr. Masciale. Yes, I did wait a little in the exam room but that was most likely because he was with a prior patient and he does not leave a patient until he completely examines and talks to the patient answering all their questions and then he sits silently allowing you to process the visit and to ask any and all questions you have. His office and staff run like a fine-tuned watch. He reconstructed my 72-year old back and I am a new woman. My only complaint is that I didn't find him sooner. His hands are from God. He has a well-trained staff that completely coordinates the care. Nothing in his office is left to chance. When you go into the operating room, you will have already met all of the people in his office that will be with you. They come up one by one and introduce themselves and tell you that I am going to assist Dr. Masciale or I will be one of your surgical nurses, etc. He has handpicked the team of 12 from his own staff and from within the hospital. With the thorough preparation I had prior to my 4.5 hour surgery, I entered the OR calmly without any fears and reservations. I surrendered to the anesthesia and surgery in the calmest that I had been in years. I had been able to ask all of my questions, never did I feel that I was being rushed. If you have an injury with your back or any other orthopedic specialty, South Texas Bone and Joint is the GOLD STANDARD for surgery and care. Even after the surgery, he is very particular and strict about your recovery and it totally has paid off for me and for many, many other satisfied patients that I have spoken to in his waiting room. I am reluctant to say, run don't walk to Dr. Masciale because it will probably mean a more difficult time scheduling an appointment. I am usually impatient and want to be seen on time but Dr. Masciale is the exception in that if I am waiting, I know that he is helping another patient.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2016

I would never recommend this doctor. He is arrogant and dismissive. He didn't listen to my symptoms or concerns, and it was obvious he made a diagnosis before looking at my chart. I had to request to speak directly to him, because he lets his PA perform all consulations and communication with patients. It was obvious that he and his PA have poor communication as well. I left his office in tears. Horrible experience and a waste of my time when I was in pain and needed help.

flag | Submitted August 5, 2014

AFTER 7 MONTHS OF EXCRUCIATING PAIN ON MY RIGHT SIDE, HARDLY ABLE TO MOVE AND CDULD NOT WALK. I CONTINUED TO BELIEVE AND HOPE I WOULD GET BETTER WHILE SEEING A PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTOR. MANY TIMES I COULD NOT GO TO VISITS BECAUSE THE PAIN WAS SO BAD. I PRAYED ALOT AND ASKED GOD TO SEND ME TO A DR WHO COULD HELP . AFTER REVIEWING LISTS OF DOCTORS WHO MIGHT HELP ME, DR MASCIALE WAS THE ONE. AS BAD AS I WAS I THOUGHT THERE WAS A CHANCE I MAY NEVER WALK AGAIN. DR MASCIALE WAS CARING AND I SAW HIS SINCERETY THAT HE WANTED TO HELP ME. I UNDERSTAND HE HAS A LOT OF PATIENTS TO SEE AND THE WAITING MAY BE LONG SOMETIMES, BUT HE IS WORTH THE WAIT. I HAD SURGERY AND THE DAY AFTER SURGERY I WAS WALKING AGAIN. TO ME IT WAS A MIRACLE. I STILL HAVE SOME PROBLEMS WITH MY BACK NOT CAUSED BY HIS HANDS. HE AND HIS STAFF ARE VERY CARING PEOPLE. I LIKE THAT HE IS STRAIGHT WITH ME AND TO THE POINT. I RECOMMEND HIM TO ANYONE. I THANK GOD FOR HIM AND THANK HIM FOR HIS CONTINUED CARE.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2014

Dr. Maschiale did a thorough exam and based on those results, location and degree of my pain, explained I did not need his surgical services but temporary pain management and a neuro consult. In short, it took him less than 30 minutes to find an extreme condition 5 others could not; effects of chronic chemical exposure. I am now in the care of a neurologist. I found Dr. Maschiale to be highly professional with good bedside manner, and most importantly, unafraid to tell me explicitly what is wrong and what I need to do to correct it. His diagnosis was on the money. What he did not do is max out my insurance and risk my health on needless surgeries, narcotics, or tell me what I wanted to hear. If you are a drug seeker or in need of a hand patting session, don't waste your time- he's too smart for you. If you want to improve your condition/health/life, he's worth the wait.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2012

Dr. Masciale is a great back Doctor. He has helped me tremendously.Staff was great. He is very knowlegable. He is a professional Doctor.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2011

Do not ever go to this physician...He is PRO medication and NOT Pro Treatment... Eight plus years later...still in severe pain and all I got was an addiction to MAJOR pain medications and my problems...still exist... Went to "another" surgeon after he "DROPPED" me as a patient...Eight Years later...

flag | Submitted September 6, 2010

This doctor was arrogant, said I needed surgery without even looking at my file, and kept me waiting 3+ hours when I had an appointment(twice!). I wouldn't let him work on my dog, much less me! He wouldn't listen to me, was dismissive and barely spent any time with me after all the time I waited to see him. When I refused the surgery he wanted to do, he acted angry that I wouldn't agree to it. Awful, just awful!

flag | Submitted June 13, 2010

I've had back pain for years, and Dr. Masciale finally found me some relief!

flag | Submitted August 6, 2009

did not work well with me. will not recommened him to anyone else

flag | Submitted August 4, 2008

Dr. Masciale and his P.A., Jose are great. They did a super job on my back surgery!

flag | Submitted March 23, 2008

Dr. John P. Masciale's Credentials

• State University Of New York Downstate Medical Center (Grad. 1985)

Workers Comp

Updates

• A new 4.8-star rating has been posted. "After many years of severe back pain that limited my walking that seriously impacted the quality of my life, I moved to TX and found Dr. Masciale. Yes, I did ..."

April 28, 2016
  • 'birds of a feather' score (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=118862'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 3.5

February 14, 2014
  • 'birds of a feather' rating (based on <a href='/birdsofafeather.jsp?did=118862'>Medicare patients-in-common</a>): 4.1

February 5, 2014
  • First Name changed from "John" to "John P."

October 20, 2013