Dr. Frederick M. Jacobsen

Ratings for Dr. Frederick M. Jacobsen

Dr Jacobsen saved my life. He is a great psychiatrist and pharmacologist. He is very humane, he cares about you and helping you get better. He is exceptionally knowledgeable. He is also affiliated with the George Washington University of Medicine.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2017

Dr. Jacobson treated my brother for over 15 years. He seemed to plant ideas in my brother that he was a big mess....and needed Jacobson's help! he over medicated him to the point that my brother couldn't walk or think. He looked like a complete zombie and could barely communicate. My brother was addicted by then and instead of recognizing the overload of meds. he gave even more. He hid behind hid huge desk and couldn't answer important questions regarding my brothers horrible state that deteriorated under Jacobson's care. When there was need to reach him he always seemed to be on vacation. He reminded me of MIchael Jackson's doctor. I feel with his attitude and lack of knowledge, he probably ruined many lives up

flag | Submitted August 19, 2016

After many years of therapy, it became evident that I would benefit from medication. I was referred to Dr. Jacobsen and my life changed for the better. After a lengthy evaluation, he prescribed a medication that was spot on. I have been working with him for over twenty years. He is patient, caring and an excellent listener. If I share something during a visit, he is certain to follow up with a question the next time I see him. He does not provide therapy and I am very happy with the consultation and advice given when I need it. I would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

dr. jacobsen is the best doc for treating mental health issues w/ drugs. i went through years of drug modifications/additions/subtractions/combinations but he finally found a combo that works pretty well for me. he is not a therapist, nor have I ever heard him recommend his wife for therapy. perhaps because i was already in therapy when i went to him. i believe he is thorough and honest and does his absolute best in treating his patients. I highly recommend this doc for folks who NEED effective meds for devasting mental health illnesses.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2011

Dr. Jacobsen has helped my wife a great deal and shows a real interest in her problem

flag | Submitted March 20, 2011

Dr. Jacobsen is very professional and caring. He strikes me as a great balance between good boundaries and very responsive. Mainly he is there for complex difficult to treat pharma care. When I asked for additional psychotherapy he recommeded a specialist in my home state (he is in DC) I would have prefered the ease of just going to his wife there in the same office but I guess some other commentors complained about that. It took me 3 referrals to get to see him. Very helpful. I also like the free lecture he gives in May every year at GWU.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2010

This doctor has caused more problems with our family then there are spaces to write in this box. I think he is a pill pusher, puts ideas in people's heads that aren't true and uses his patients as test subjects for his publications. I have noticed no change for the better in the patient he is treating and can't wait for him to retire.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2009

Dr. Jacobsen is an expert pharmacologist and a humane man as well. You should see him if you have a complicated psychiatric condition requiring medication. That is his specialty. I have seen him for over 20 years for a bipolar condition and he has rescued me on several occasions when I was drowning. He seems somewhat reserved and formal at first but he cares about the patients in his practice. I know another patient of his who also swore by him. Appointments are for 20 minutes focused on how your medicative regime is working and whether changes are needed. He does not do therapy per se, you would need a psychologist for that. He does not accept insurance payments; you will need to seek reimbursement from your insurance provider. He does not always accept new patients as his practice is very full (an indication of how many patients trust and like him). If you need a psychopharmacologist, it is hard to imagine you could do any better than him.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2006

Previous poster was spot-on. This doctor may be OK if all you need is a psychopharmacologist, but only for that. He is willing to try various drug regimes, and combinations, which can be hard to find in a Psychiatrist, tho. Some time back, he also would "suggest" one see a psychologist, and "recommend" one who just happened to be his wife. (This was about a decade ago, but still...)

flag | Submitted December 4, 2005

Jacobsen may be book smart but he's not people smart. He treats patients like they were textbook cases. Not a good listener. Has a big ego. Shoves pills down your throat like they were M & Ms. Expensive too. Not recommended.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2005

Dr. Frederick M. Jacobsen's Credentials

• Univ Of Il Coll Of Med, Chicago Il 60680 (Grad. 1980)