Ratings for Dr. Terry McKay

I hate going to dentists generally speaking, and I'm a terrible patient. Dr. McKay and his team are wonderful and put up with me so nicely. Terry has changed my phobia to the point where sometimes, if appropriate, I can get through the appointment without freezing. This morning I had a veneer placed on my lower front tooth and it is fantastic. I am so pleased with this , as I kept on breaking that tooth and it was really overdue for the veneer fix. Terry and staff are always accommodating and friendly, punctual and kind to wimps like me! I know that he takes great pride in providing solutions and takes an interest in providing great results. It is refreshing to know someone who truly cares about patients in a world where no one really seems to have pride in their work. Thank you to Dr. McKay and staff for always making me feel better about being there! I might add that I drive an hour sometimes , depending on traffic and timing, to see Dr. McKay, and I would go anywhere to have him look after me! I am so appreciative of his good care and of his staff who go out of there way to help me feel comfortable every time.

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

I have been meaning to get on here and write a review for a while because it is something that really should be done when you get great service and when you get poor service. Dr. McKay and his staff have always been incredible with our family. One time in particular, he went out of his way to help my husband with an incredibly painful toothache. He met us at his office after 8pm and went to work immediately to not only relieve the pain, but fix the problem. He was humble when we thanked him over again, stating simply that it was his job to make sure his patients are cared for. He called us the next few evenings to ensure everything was still going well. I cannot recommend a better dentist and staff. I trust them completely and know I am always getting the best service.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

I will give you the facts. I had a root canal done on the upper left side about 3years ago and recently did bring to his attention that the tooth was bothering me. He said I need a night guard. Without even checking the tooth. I had a cavity filled on the opposite side, upper right side very back tooth. Dr Mckay went on vacation for a week. I was left in pain. Saw him when he got back and he said I need night guard. When I said I didnt think that would help, Id been using one from the drug store, He said fine we will do a root canal. No Xray, nothing. He used the root canal as a scare tactic to get me to get me to buy a night guard. Sunday morning I was in so much pain I got into see another dentist, had an x ray and saw the filling sitting on the root. Xrays dont lie. I did need a root canal. I spoke with Andrea and told her how upset I was. I got a voice mail from Dr Mckay stating he would never do a filling that way and he would contact the new dentist and give them a piece of his mind !! How professional !!! My opinion, D Mckay is so arrogant that he couldn't even admit he made a mistake. Another fact, this office does not follow the suggested prices by the dental association, they charge more. A lot more. Fast forward to today the root canal I did have done by him , upper left side, is now absessed and I need to see a specialist. Not for sure, but on the x ray it looks like the roots were not capped and he may have missed a root. DO NOT GO TO THIS DENTIST !!!!! If you would like to be charged a huge amount and be sold dental stuff you dont need then this is the dentist for you. If you would like to be ignored and have a sub par job with no explanations this is the dentist for you. If you would like to see a dentist that is rude when he is called on his mistakes, Dr Mc Kay is a perfect fit. Last but not least if youd like to have a dentist that closes shop and is always on holiday, leaving you hanging, I recommend Dr McKay. He did hire another dentist but hes just as rude. Save your teeth and money, go else where.

Submitted April 30, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Mckay since he started his practice in the early 80's. Always professional, always prompt, best staff and they make seeing the dentist a pleasant experience.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

Found a new dentist, as my previous one has retired. Great experience today and would highly recommend this dentist and super friendly staff. Sharon N-Van

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

My boys and I have been seeing Dr. McKay for several years now with complete satisfaction. He has always been most helpful and informative and most importantly does wonderful work without undue pain (even the needles are painless). He has managed to extend the life of cracked teeth and his most accommodating to my requests. A very welcoming, professional, attentive caring dentist. Even my kids love him. Visit him and the team at I.Q. dental in all confidence. I'm glad I did.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. McKay for almost 30 years and have had everything from retainers and Invisaline to wisdom teeth pulled at his office! Terry as well as his staff have always made me feel relaxed and in good hands while under their care. I should also mention that, due in part to Dr. McKay, I have perfect teeth:) I would highly recommend the whole team.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2017

Dr Terry McKay is a really excellent dentist. He is most knowledgeable, efficient, careful and gentle. He tells you what is needed, explains what he'll do for you, or even tells you all is well and he doesn't need to do anything! His staff are cheerful (and so is he) and they all really know what they are doing. Although going to the dentist isn't my favourite thing , I know I am in the best of hands when I am there. I highly recommend Terry McKay and his staff. What nice people to know.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

What a relaxing experience. The staff are exceptional and they have what I consider the best dentist for a boss. Painless, professional and extremely friendly. Whatever your needs or concerns regarding dental care are addressed. They take all the time you need to be satisfied with your experience.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

My family and I recently moved back to Vancouver from Nova Scotia and have settled in Richmond at the moment. I had not been to a dentist for some time and had a molar needing immediate attention so my wife took to the internet and did some research on who the best dentists were in the area. She said she had a good feeling about Dr. Mckay and thought I should try him out (even though it was a bit of a drive from Richmond to North Vancouver). When I arrived at the office I was greeted by a very pleasant receptionist who helped me feel welcomed and relaxed. When it was time for me to see Dr. Mckay I was first helped by a dental hygenist who happened to be having her first day there (she had already had plenty of experience elsewhere) she was also very kind and considerate and was concerned about my comfort. When Dr. Mckay came in he was very easy to talk to and compassionate towards my situation (I did not have insurance coverage and so I had to mention that I needed to know the cost of the procedure before hand). He offered his suggestions on how to budget for dentistry work and I'm happy that he didn't shame me in any way for not having been to a dentist in a long time. It's apparent that Dr. Mckay chooses his staff carefully to ensure everyone at the office is kind, knowledgeable and experienced - I know I'll be bringing the rest of my family to see him in the near future. It's nice to experience a dentist who isn't just in it for the money and actually cares about the wellbeing of his patients! This dentist is a keeper.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Dr. Terry McKay's Credentials

After graduating from UBC dental program in 1975, I’ve been proud to practice general, family and cosmetic dentistry for over 35 years in North Vancouver, West Vancouver, and Seattle, Washington. My long-term dental practice, IQ Dental in North Vancouver, is located in the heart of Lonsdale and I also provide service for patients and families on the Sunshine Coast through Advantage Dental in Gibsons, BC. I place high importance on advancing my education in dentistry. I attend annual meetings and conventions around the country in oral surgery, endodontics, cosmetic dentistry, CEREC®, Invisalign®, and orthodontics, as well as subscribe to numerous professional publications focused on unbiased research. Additionally, as one of the original founding members of the Tucker Academy study club in Vancouver, I have been inspired by Dr. Tucker and his teaching methods and really enjoy inspiring my colleagues to strive for excellence in dentistry. I have encouraged those around me to continue their education since 1990. An operating study club is the most challenging type of continuing education because each dentist's operation is critiqued by mentors and fellow peers. We discuss how they can improve their techniques and are accountable for their progress. I am also a part-time instructor and lecturer for the third and fourth year dental students at UBC.

• English