Ratings for Dr. Herbert Fitterman

Sad to hear of his passing. I worked for Dr. Fitterman in the early 2000's. He was in the line up at the cafeteria at St. Viincent's Hospital on days when he did cataract surgery. Always with quick wit and a somewhat sarcastic tone, Dr. Fitternman was quite a character around the hospital giving both nursing staff and patients what for. We enjoyed his visits and his humor. I was a private contractor who used to take and deliver my transcription work to his office downtown.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Saddened to find out just moments ago that Dr. Fitterman has passed away back in April 2011, but we would still like to leave a good rating for his service because he was such an amazing Ophthalmologist.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2016

I had sever issues with my eyes due to a botched Lasik in 2000. I went to many ophtos and no one could help. Someone I work with who was going blind due to macro-degeneration recommended Fitterman as he helped stop the deterioration of his eyes when no one else could help. I tried Fitterman and he prescribed my a bizarre prescription that my optician didn't want to act on. I can see again! Fitterman changed my life. I though I was going to have to quit my job due to the horrible pain I was getting from TV/Books/Computers. I couldn't be happier with him. He has a great bed side manner. His tools are really old.. but they work apparently. He's an old fellow so go see him before he retires.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2011

Had PRK laser surgery on both eyes and have been left with severe halos in both eyes. Distance vision deteriorated since surgery to the point of requiring glasses. Requested a redo of the surgery to improve distance vision but was told I had 20/20 vision aka - no adjustment. All lights I look at, day or night, glow and distort my vision. Night vision is signifcantly impaired and makes night driving a safety issue. Backlit situtations are difficult to see through and car headlights produce sever glare that cause me to avert my eyes while driving. Fitterman said the halos would eventually go away and asked me to wait it out. After one year they remained and his only comment was "I suppose they might remain". He pushed me off to a specialist who told me to wait a further 6 months. Two years out from surgery, the halos remain. Saw another specialist who advised I was never a candidate for PRK. The fix is special contacts at $1000 per eye + replacements for life. No help from Fitterman.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2010

A very knowledgeable and careful doctor. He did not rush me through and gave me detailed information regarding my problem.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2009

great staff, prompt attention and followup,kind and takes time with patients

flag | Submitted January 6, 2009

My mother went to see him for cataract surgery. He came highly recommended. When she developed a complication a day after the surgery, he shunted her off to another specialist without explaining to her what had gone wrong. Unfortunately she lost all vision from that eye. He never followed up with her, not even to inquire what happened to her.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2008