Ratings for Dr. P.A. Spear

I had an exam approximately three months ago, and I can tell you this behaviour by dr spear is not an isolated incident. He was cocky and arrogant, rude to his staff. He went on and on about himself and how " great" he is. The staff apologized many times I actually tor sorry for them. I will not be back.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2018

Staff at his clinic were friendly, but I have to say he was not. I have been to several doctors and never had an experience like I did with "OD" Spear. The last time I waited in a waiting room this long was with a high end doctor at a hospital. I didn't see any students there. When I got into the exam room I knew why I had to wait so long: he talked about himself almost the whole time. Cocky, arrogant and made me feel uncomfortable and awkward like the others below said. Everyone in the waiting room with me I'm sure had the same opinion (all shaking their heads). DO NOT RECOMMEND.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2018

Always a very long wait. Very fast. Seems thorough. But manner very arrogant and actually rude. Hyper. Not going back.

flag | Submitted April 27, 2018

OK, so 2 hrs total, but a thorough exam. Surely we can spend this much time on eye health every two years????

flag | Submitted March 7, 2018

I have known Dr. Spear for over 31 years. His office has grown from a one exam room to his excellent institute called Toronto Eye Clinic. I have seen 3 out of the 6 doctors and they are all excellent with state of the art technology. Dr. Spear see's emergencies and teaches students..and at times runs behind. When you see him he is caring and cofident which may come across self centred…he is the NOT. He gives of his time in third world countries, and apparently does not get paid to teach students. His sexual assault allegation was nothing more than a patient interpreting his light humoured non sexual comments the wrong the wrong way and her boyfriend and students were in the exam room! My family goes to him and you will not find a better eye doctor. His clinic does not do quickie eye exams go to him for real care! Shame on the hateful comments…it is much easier to hate than find the good in people. See for yourself.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2018

I have gone for an annual eye exam with Dr. Spear for 2 years now, and had the same bad experience both times. During the 1.5 hour waiting period before even seeing him, I heard him go on an extremely unnecessary rude rant to his staff while his patients were sitting and waiting- when afterwards I heard his staff laughing about it. Not a professional person and very self centered. The front desk was helpful and kind when I complained about the wait time, but I will not go back to Dr. Spear in the future. Especially when googling his name I saw the sexual assault allegations against him!

Submitted February 27, 2018

I started as a patient with Dr. Spear back in 1989 and stayed as a patient until we moved away after marriage. He was always professional, friendly and kind. I wish him much future success. He's a good man.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2017

I have been patient of Dr Spear for over 30 years. During this period he has been a model of professional and proven very knowledgeable and helpful. The front office went through a bad patch but seemed to have improved immeasurably on my last visit last December. However they are miles ahead of some of the front office staff I have seen at Sunnybrook who can be downright obnoxious.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2017

Reception needs to learn to say please and thank you as well as make eye contact (no pun intended). After being processed from waiting room A to waiting room B and after waiting for an inexcusable amount of time and with no prospect of being seen, I simply left. The receptionist was especially warm when I politely told her that I simply couldn't wait another 30 minutes to be seen. Not sure I would recommend them in good conscience. Feedback on this site is pretty consistent. Staff are horrible and they clearly value there own time more than their patients (customers).

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

The support staff are abysmal -- very disorganized and unprofessional. If you make an appointment here, be prepared to be left waiting to see the doctor for hours and hours (literally). I had a very negative experience with both the staff and Dr. Spear and encourage people to look elsewhere for an eye doctor.

flag | Submitted September 30, 2016