You may also like

Ratings for Dr. John Shin

Dr. Shin was found guilty of fraud over $5000 for defrauding OHIP; his medical license was suspended May-Oct 2015. http://www.cpso.on.ca/CPSo/GetDocument.aspx?flash=true&pdfid=TueDc9JV1EI%3D&doctype=PastFinding

flag | Submitted March 2, 2016

I was most impressed with Dr. Shin . I like the way he talks one-on-one and face to face, instead of sitting across a big desk and sometimes not able to hear. It was my first appointment and he took the time to listen, in spite of a waiting room full of people. I had a lot of confidence in him and he's a very nice man. Thank you for being there Dr. Shin.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2015

Have to wait one hour or so more on our appointment time... mY daughter has lazy eye she's six at that time and Dr. Shin doesn't have any helpful instruments to thoroughly check her lazy eye... he just cover the eye with a tissue ? not so friendly to kids ... visited 4x and decided he cannot help my daughter..... For now I am seeking for the right eye doctor who specializes chidren's eye problem.......

Submitted May 19, 2015

flag | Submitted January 12, 2015

I could not have been more pleased. Dr. Shin is professional, knowledgeable, and charming. I have had to visit several specialists in various fields over the past few months and have to say my contact with Dr. Shin was by far the most rewarding. Dr. Shin was attentive when listening to my concerns and very respectful of even minor questions. He is a very knowledgeable ophthalmologist willing to take the time to make his patients feel confident in his skills. I left his office with a printed report that outlined my condition and his findings. I have not experienced that level of respect from any other specialist, the report is normally 'only' sent to my family Dr. and reviewed at a later date.

Submitted August 15, 2014

I have noticed some very rude comments regarding Dr. Shin on here. I can confidently say those comments are WRONG. Dr. Shin is one of the best eye doctor's I know. Every time my family and I visit he really takes the time to answer all our questions and consider our concerns. He is very well known and respected among those in the medical field, even my family doctor highly recommends him and praises his practice. Dr. Shin is an excellent person who cares about his patients. It is as plain and simple as that. Furthermore, his office is conveniently located with lots of free parking which is an added bonus. ...Dr. Shin you are doing an excellent job providing eye-care services to many, many people! God bless you for that. We are lucky to have an eye doctor like you, who takes great pride in his profession and helps people see better. My family and I are thankful to Dr. John Shin for taking care of our EYES!

Submitted June 27, 2014

Dr. Shin was able to listen to me thoroughly, explain things like astigmatism, glaucoma, and so on. The important thing that stands out in my mind is the depth of questions Dr. Shin asked regarding my family medical history during my visit. I found him to be attentive, sensitive to my concerns, and most importantly caring. I was satisfied with the answers he provided to me regarding the different eye conditions that my grandparents had and how/if they may affect me. As a science teacher with an analytical chemistry background and laboratory experience, I was quite impressed by his ability to discuss recent advances in his field in diagnosis and treatment. To me this speaks tomes about the interest Dr. Shin takes in his profession and his ability to carry out his job to the highest possible level.

Submitted April 2, 2014

Dr. Shin is a very caring and professional doctor. He took time to listen to me. He explained his diagnosis to me in plain language, even with drawing to ensure that I fully understood him. He detailedly described the options that were available to treat my eye problems. At the end of the visit, he even volunteered to give me a printout of his clinical notes. This is the first time that I received this extra service from a doctor. I had a great experience with Dr. Shin.

Submitted October 10, 2013

Dr Shin. You were dismissive and uninterested in my visual complaints of fatigue after reading long hours. Instead I found you unprofessional in your attempts to make me pay for a glaucoma test I know is otherwise covered by OHIP. What I find even more interesting are the similarities in context and syntax of almost all of your positive ratings. Sentence structure, and grammatical architecture indicate the same person writes these positive posts. I should know, I am a language professor at York University. I am assuming it is you yourself that has the time to monitor your own ratings and provide 60 affirmative posts when some of the best Ophthalmologists in the city can barely receive 10. My experience in your office, (and probably the few other legitimate posters) certainly is not in line with your "excellent" rating. Dr Shin, perhaps it is you that should apologize. And undoubtedly, I will receive a response from you, under the guise one of your patients defending your poor care.

Submitted August 20, 2013

My son recently developed esotropia. There are only three paediatric ophthalmologists (PO) in Ottawa and the average wait time is 6-24 months. We decided to contact POs in Toronto. During the search, Dr Shin's name popped up on this site as one of the highest rated O. I emailed him. Within half an hour, I received his response. He told me he does not usually see children under 10 but was willing to give my son a refined assessment and to refer my son to local POs. We saw him in one week. He was very gentle and playful with my son during a very thorough exam. He took his time to clearly explain things to us and gave us a medical report to keep. We have been keeping him updated on our appointments with POs. He always provides feedback quickly and even offers phone consultation if needed. He seems to have patient's best interest in mind and is very knowledgeable, courteous, open-minded, caring, and extremely generous of his time. He is the most dedicated doctor we have encountered!

Submitted August 17, 2013

Dr. John Shin's Credentials

• McMaster University (Grad. 1991)

Updates

• A new 3-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Shin was found guilty of fraud over $5000 for defrauding OHIP; his medical license was suspended May-Oct 2015. http://www.cpso.on.ca/CPSo/GetDocument.aspx?..."

March 2, 2016
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "I was most impressed with Dr. Shin . I like the way he talks one-on-one and face to face, instead of sitting across a big desk and sometimes not able to hear. ..."

October 5, 2015
  • A new 2.8-star rating has been posted. "Have to wait one hour or so more on our appointment time... mY daughter has lazy eye she's six at that time and Dr. Shin doesn't have any helpful instruments t..."

May 19, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Check out (College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario) v. Shin, 2015 ONCPSD 19 (CanLII)"

May 11, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "So, since I sincerely suspect this Dr of having written many of these responses himself (well they do seem quite fake, sorry), I will not hold back in writing m..."

May 11, 2015
  • A new 1-star rating has been posted. "Terribly u friendly. started snapping for no reason and blamed me for something I didn't do"

March 13, 2015
  • A new 5-star rating has been posted. "Dr. Shin is very thorough and personable. He was very willing to explain any and all issues that I had with my eyes"

January 12, 2015
  • A new 2.2-star rating has been posted. "dont tell the px's where they are in the mall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

November 18, 2014