Ratings for Dr. David A. McLain

We are regretfully leaving Dr. McLain's practice after over 20 years of outstanding treatment. Sadly, his support staff has been below average. He has made diagnoses for me and my wife that are not even in his purview as a rheumatologist, but his diagnoses have been exactly on target and have enabled us to locate and use specialists in the fields that we needed. We were technically dropped because Dr. McLain no longer accepts a cheesy health insurance plan we are saddled with in retirement. Other doctors all over town are refusing to accept health insurance plans from this organization as well (UnitedHealthcare). We have not had a better doctor inside or outside this specialty.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

Dr. McLain is the only rheumatologist to treat my symptoms, not just my labs. I loved Dr. McLain, but his staff is the worst. I was fired for missed appointments that I had never missed. I wanted to cancel one that was just a med check. I had not been on said medication in over a month because the staff continued lying that they had sent in the authorization for 3 weeks. When it was finally submitted it wasn't even filled out with the required information. This was Thursday the appointment would be Monday and they tried to charge me a cancellation fee even though I explained that I just didn't know when to reschedule for since I didn't know when I would get the meds that they were preventing me from getting. I don't think he has any idea how they treat his patients.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

I was a patient of his for over 12 years and my husband was a patient of his for nearly 20 years. Dr. McLain is a great doctor, very knowledgeable and willing to talk to you as long as needed to explain things. My problems came with on particular person on the office staff. She acted like she ran the place but she was not the office manager. They forgot to call us and tell us our appointment was being cancelled because the doctor was going to be out of town. My pain medicine at the time was to be refilled that day and I was at the end of my prescription. The morning of the appointment my husband was unable to go and called to reschedule his appointment. The person asked to speak to me. She told me 1 1/2 hrs before my appointment that the doctor was out of town. I asked if they had my scripts ready also I could pick them up. She said no they didn't think about that. I had to go all weekend without any pain meds that were strong and I had been on for 10 years. Withdrawals are awful. She apologized at my next appointment but I knew Dr. McLain didn't know anything about it. About 6 months later I was ready to leave for the long drive to his office for my appointment and she called and told me not to bother coming in that my husband and I were fired as patients. We never had anything in our system that wasn't suppose to be there and she wouldn't tell me why when I asked. I asked to speak with Dr. McLain and she said no I couldn't. I asked if I could come in and see him to talk to him and she told me no that I couldn't do that either. We were so upset. I tried emailing him with no answer and sent a letter with no answer. This was so uncharacteristic of Dr. McLain that I knew she was handling this and wondered if he ever knew what happened to us as faithful patients. I would love to be able to see Dr. McLain again but I know if this one person still works there I have no chance. Just be careful around the staff, if that person is still there she will act like you are so sweet, but if she has to go out of the way for you at any time she may decide you don't need to be his patient and fire you without Dr. McLain even knowing it!

flag | Submitted December 6, 2017

Inept, unprofessional, uncaring from the doctor down through the staff. Never even x-rayed me altho I was in extreme pain for a year. Didn't recommend long-lasting injections or surgery. Kept giving injections that lasted less than a month. In it for the money. His staff don't even understand SOP. All are inept and unprofessional. Expect a THREE HOUR wait.

Submitted November 2, 2017

Dr. McLain is a sweetheart. I have been his patient for years. I have never had a problem with his staff. The wait is a little long sometimes, but I don't mind the wait. He's worth it. He found out what was wrong with me and made a plan of treatment. That's his job and mine is to follow that plan. Besides he's an Elvis fan. Nuff said! Your a very lucky person if he is your Dr.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

He's worth the wait. I've started making early appointments so I can get to work. He treated me in the hospital and has taken good care of me since then. I visit him my required 4 times yearly and have had other flare up incidents where is had told me to come in immediately. He responds to emails. Great doctor.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

I'm compelled to respond to the November 22, 2014 person who rated Dr. McLain based on others comments: YOU DON'T RATE A DOCTOR YOU'VE NEVER SEEN!!! I've been a patient of Dr. McLain's for 15+ years. He listens to his patients, hence the long waits. I do not mind waiting knowing that when it's my turn, he's going to take the time to listen and knows what's really going on. As far as a patient knowing another patient's urine results, that is not what the person said. He was explaining why the doctor might drop a patient. This is true of most, if not all, doctors who prescribe narcotics. Dr. McLain was treating one of my conditions before other doctors knew it existed. His knowledge is vast. He is involved in research & developing medicine for arthritis, as well as other fields of medicine. I would & have recommended him to friends & clients, and suggest before you rate a doctor (or any pèrson, place, or thing) that you have personal knowledge of what you speak!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2015

Dr McLain's staff has chged , bad, good, bad, good over the years. I love him. I think he is great I love him for what he has done for me. Yes I don't like the wait but he is worth it. I just take a book and settle in. I have read the other reviews. I will say why he drops patients. He has many patients on narcotics for pain He spot checks urine. He has had numbers of patients have 0 residues of the narcotic in their blood which means they are probably selling them. Yep, buddy. He drops these patients but of course he can't say why and probably the patient doesn't broadcast this information either. I hate trying to reach him too by phone but he does have his email address on his site and he does answer me. He has done so much for me diagnosing several problems. I am surprised at the bad experiences with him, I feel lucky it has never happened to me.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

Have been a patient since 1997. Was referred to Dr McLain by Mayo Clinic. Never had a problem with him. His staff is by far the worse I've ever dealt with. I live 1hr 45 mins from office. On MANY occasions I have needed his immediate attention for serious flare ups of Lupus & haven't been able to talk to him because I could not get past the front desk. Dr McLain prescribed a new medication for me & it took his office staff 3 wks to get it to my insurance for consideration. It took me threatening to take a day off from work & drive to B'ham so that I could just "speak" with him about the matter. It was only then that pior approval was sent. After it was sent my insurance approved in less than 24 hrs. His office staff has way too much control over the decision making of what is or is not important. I do not think he receives the majority of messages left for him or at least I hope this is the case. Love Dr McLain. Not holding tongue any longer about staff. Needs better staff seriously!!!

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

I absolutely love Dr McLain. He always listens and takes his time with me. The office staff its much better now. It does take time to get to the back even when you have an appt.but I feel like that is because he is giving each patient the time they need. A very caring and knowledgeable Dr.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2014

Dr. David A. McLain's Credentials

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1974)