Ratings for Dr. David A. McLain

Dr. McLain is a sweetheart. I have been his patient for years. I have never had a problem with his staff. The wait is a little long sometimes, but I don't mind the wait. He's worth it. He found out what was wrong with me and made a plan of treatment. That's his job and mine is to follow that plan. Besides he's an Elvis fan. Nuff said! Your a very lucky person if he is your Dr.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

He's worth the wait. I've started making early appointments so I can get to work. He treated me in the hospital and has taken good care of me since then. I visit him my required 4 times yearly and have had other flare up incidents where is had told me to come in immediately. He responds to emails. Great doctor.

flag | Submitted September 10, 2015

I'm compelled to respond to the November 22, 2014 person who rated Dr. McLain based on others comments: YOU DON'T RATE A DOCTOR YOU'VE NEVER SEEN!!! I've been a patient of Dr. McLain's for 15+ years. He listens to his patients, hence the long waits. I do not mind waiting knowing that when it's my turn, he's going to take the time to listen and knows what's really going on. As far as a patient knowing another patient's urine results, that is not what the person said. He was explaining why the doctor might drop a patient. This is true of most, if not all, doctors who prescribe narcotics. Dr. McLain was treating one of my conditions before other doctors knew it existed. His knowledge is vast. He is involved in research & developing medicine for arthritis, as well as other fields of medicine. I would & have recommended him to friends & clients, and suggest before you rate a doctor (or any pèrson, place, or thing) that you have personal knowledge of what you speak!

flag | Submitted January 13, 2015

flag | Submitted August 9, 2014

Dr McLain's staff has chged , bad, good, bad, good over the years. I love him. I think he is great I love him for what he has done for me. Yes I don't like the wait but he is worth it. I just take a book and settle in. I have read the other reviews. I will say why he drops patients. He has many patients on narcotics for pain He spot checks urine. He has had numbers of patients have 0 residues of the narcotic in their blood which means they are probably selling them. Yep, buddy. He drops these patients but of course he can't say why and probably the patient doesn't broadcast this information either. I hate trying to reach him too by phone but he does have his email address on his site and he does answer me. He has done so much for me diagnosing several problems. I am surprised at the bad experiences with him, I feel lucky it has never happened to me.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2014

Have been a patient since 1997. Was referred to Dr McLain by Mayo Clinic. Never had a problem with him. His staff is by far the worse I've ever dealt with. I live 1hr 45 mins from office. On MANY occasions I have needed his immediate attention for serious flare ups of Lupus & haven't been able to talk to him because I could not get past the front desk. Dr McLain prescribed a new medication for me & it took his office staff 3 wks to get it to my insurance for consideration. It took me threatening to take a day off from work & drive to B'ham so that I could just "speak" with him about the matter. It was only then that pior approval was sent. After it was sent my insurance approved in less than 24 hrs. His office staff has way too much control over the decision making of what is or is not important. I do not think he receives the majority of messages left for him or at least I hope this is the case. Love Dr McLain. Not holding tongue any longer about staff. Needs better staff seriously!!!

flag | Submitted May 20, 2014

I absolutely love Dr McLain. He always listens and takes his time with me. The office staff its much better now. It does take time to get to the back even when you have an appt.but I feel like that is because he is giving each patient the time they need. A very caring and knowledgeable Dr.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2014

I LOVE DR MCLAIN. VERY PERSONABLE KNOWLEDGABLE AND COMPASSIONATE. I NEVER FEEL RUSHED

flag | Submitted February 12, 2014

Dr. McClain does not spend time with his patients. He does not answer questions nor does he try to set up a treatment or testing plan for current illnesses that are getting worse. There is always a very long wait.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. McLain's since May 2013. I HIGHLY recommend him if you suffer from any rheumatologic diseases (lupus, arthritis, fibro, etc). I was "brushed off" by > 6 docs in 2 yrs & I felt like I was just getting old (I'm a young 50) or crazy. I had had a BAD post op infection in 2011--sepsis--after a hysterectomy & I had to wear Depends until that nasty draining wound closed! Dr. McLain was the first MD that listened and tested me for sources of my pain and other symptoms. He found I suffer from lupus,arthritis & fibro & he gave me back peace of mind. He's thorough and worth any wait because he spends quality time with each patient. His staff is kind, caring and efficient. Yes, sometimes I wait but most of his patients have multiple issues and that requires time and thought. Dr McLain is not only an excellent doctor, he is also a warm and compassionate man. I feel blessed to have found him and I am so grateful for he and his staff! NP--Trussville

flag | Submitted October 30, 2013

Dr. David A. McLain's Credentials

• Tulane University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1974)