Ratings for Dr. Rama Prayaga

Outta the 8 providers I've entrusted my mental health care to, I'd have to give Dr. Rama Prayaga the biggest round of applause, for how much he earnestly and honestly cares about his patients. I had an issue with my medication cocktail, and contacted his office, and he immediately responded to rectify the problem, in a nanosecond, just as an in-tuned psychiatrist should do. My job, for whatever reason, gives me a lot of problems, thus sending me into constant panic attacks, and Dr. Prayaga has stepped in, to my rescue not once, nor twice, but for the third time, he has drafted lengthy correspondences to HR, explaining my conditions and what his professional recommendations are, which takes a great deal of time and focus on one patient, going above and beyond the normal call of duty, and it's highly appreciated. Without pondering on what could be the issues in the past, that gave rise to any of the negative reviews, I'd ask that you not be swayed, and book your appointment right away, and judge by your own personal experience(s) with him, and not allow, could be, disgruntled patients impact your trust, before you actually see for yourself, that he's the best psychiatrist near by Maryland, DC and VA hands down.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2018

This guy is remarkably bad at his job. He is rude, short, sarcastic, and doesn't seem to understand that - by the very nature of his job - he is caring for those suffering from varying degrees of mental illness. You will get more empathy paying your parking ticket at the court house than you will from him or anyone else on his staff. I had an appointment with him today. It was a "telemedicine" remote video call. I was 5 minutes EARLY and the second I signed on, he said "FINALLY, I have been waiting and waiting!" I was seriously shocked. This guy is clearly only a psychiatrist because he read somewhere that they make good money, and if he weren't in this business, he'd be hawking drugs on the street corner. I don't know how this clown stumbled through medical school. Finding an available psychiatrist who takes your insurance in this area can be hard, so if you happen to settle on Dr. Prayaga, I understand your predicament. I'd take literally anybody else in the DMV but he's the bottom of the barrel and therefore the only one left. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, make sure you receive the medicine you need and surround yourself with those who love you. Engage in self-care. Dr. Prayaga may not give a shit about you, but remember that others do. You will get through this.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2018

After my last psychiatrist of 9 years retired, I found myself searching for a new one. My search for a new psychiatrist has been frustrating. Sharing my private and personal information with a doctor is difficult for me, so I have been trying to find a psychiatrist that has good reviews from their patients. Finding a psychiatrist that has good reviews from their patients, that takes my health insurance AND is also accepting new patients has been a miserable and stressful experience. Since I have been on the same meds for years and I saw Dr. Prayaga on zocdocs and it appeared as though he frequently has MANY available appointments, I decided to make an appointment with him until I can find a doctor that I'd like to see long term. I didn't consider seeing Dr. Prayaga long term because I'd read his reviews and realize that he doesn't seem like a thorough doctor but I need to stay on my medications so I went ahead and scheduled an appointment. Here is how that went: 1)FRIDAY AFTERNOON: scheduled zocdoc appointment with dr. rama prayaga online for the following Wednesday 2) FRIDAY EVENING: within a few hours, received a phone call from a man with an accent SO thick I could barely make heads or tails of what he was saying until having him repeat himself several times. Eventually I came to understand that the man was calling me about my appointment with dr. prayaga the following week. Even though I was a NEW patient, he said that the doctor would not physically be in the office that day (there was NO indication of that when I made the appointment online) and he said if I wanted to keep the appointment then I would meet with one of Dr. Prayaga's assistants first and then I would speak with Dr. Prayaga by video chat at his office. Since I need to continue with my medications I agreed to this ridiculous scenario. 3)FRIDAY EVENING: I received an email from Dr. Prayaga instructing me to fill out a new patient questionnaire and consent forms for the crazy video chat session I would be participating in. 4) MONDAY AFTERNOON: I received a reminder email stating that I needed to remember to submit the new patient forms by 5pm Tuesday in order to been seen for my Wednesday appointment. 5) TUESDAY AFTERNOON: I received a reminder email stating that I needed to remember to submit the new patient forms by 5pm that evening. 6) TUESDAY AFTERNOON: I filled out all of the new patient forms, scanned them into my computer, converted them to a pdf file and attached them to an email that I sent to Dr. Prayaga within 45 minutes of receiving their latest reminder email. 7) TUESDAY AFTERNOON 14 MINUTES AFTER SUBMITTING COMPLETING FORMS: Literally 14 minutes after submitting my paperwork I received an email that my zocdocs appointment with Dr. Prayaga had been cancelled because they didn't have any open slots for new patients and to try back in 6 to 8 weeks for "availability." 8) TUESDAY AFTERNOON: I called Dr. Prayaga's office and the man with the extremely thick accent answered the phone (I suspect it was Dr. Prayaga himself). I asked them why they cancelled my appointment and was told that Dr. Prayaga wasn't taking new patients. I challenged that ridiculous explanation, and brought up the fact that they were well aware of the fact that I was a new patient because they sent me NEW patient forms to fill out and sent me SEVERAL followup emails reminding me to fill out the NEW patient forms. The man mumbled something about the fact that they WERE taking new patients but the availability for new patients suddenly changed. What a crock of ****, I hung up. After hanging up, I was angry and frustrated. Not only because of the difficulty I'd been experiencing in my search for a new psychiatrist, but because I'd given Dr. Prayaga personal information about myself on those forms which he had no right to if I wasn't going to be his patient. I decided to search the internet to see if he'd ever been in trouble with the board of medicine and found that he had been placed on probation in Maryland and DC for providing office assistants with presigned blank prescriptions to give to patients when he wasn't physically present at the office appointments. GEE......based on what had been described to me and the forms I'd just wasted my time filling out, it seems as though he's STILL doing the same thing. I am glad I won't be seeing this unprofessional quack and will be notifying the board of medicine.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

I rarely take the time to write reviews online but I have to warn people about this doctor. He is angry, rude, and incompetent. He would rush through my appointments in under 2 minutes, sometimes just handing me my prescriptions and other times asking me aggressively where the results of my "drug screening" were. I had to remind him that I already had my "mandatory drug screening" for narcotics which came back clean. He makes no effort to talk to or even remember his patients and doesn't seem to know anything about the drugs he is prescribing.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2016

Wow, there are so many negative reviews on the Administrative Staff and not actually about the Doctor himself. I was nervous about seeing a psychiatrist for the first time, but he helped ease my anxiety and made me feel extremely welcomed. He was so attentive with my issues that I have also been talking through with my therapist and he helped me begin a treatment plan that worked for my lifestyle. We talked for a total of 35 minutes as he explained in great detail about the medicine he believed would help me. I DO agree that the office location is a little SKETCHY at first, but who judges a book by its cover anyways? If you do, then you don’t have to come here if you need a nice IKEA white chair to make you feel better. We are there to see a doctor for our issues and if you care so much about the outer exterior office building or judging his office space where he feels comfortable, then this place isn't for you. I had a wait time of 5 minutes and the Admin was easy to work with and I had no problems at all with my visit. I was in and out of there in less than an hour. I can’t wait to go back and touch base with him about my progress.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2015

The DC office is filthy. Doctor sees each PT for max 2 mins. Cannot believe he is allowed to practice . Creepy.

flag | Submitted December 17, 2014

This doc is not one that I recommend. His office is very shady. Despite having my son's neurologist AND neuropsychiatrist call and say that the need for medication is valid and they want a psychiatrist to write it, despite me providing medical records from well over a year ago....he says he can't adequately handle my son's care. I suspect it's because he doesn't want a "challenging" patient. I feel that this doc is a glorified pusher and also very lazy - he claimed he had no idea why my son would need the particular medication because he had never heard of it. I easily hit Google and emailed him two medical journal articles from psychiatry sources that justified the diagnosis. I basically had to do his job for him. Other things that have been an issue: they don't return phone calls, take several days to answer emails, cancel appointments but don't tell you why, and extremely rude office staff.

Submitted October 14, 2014

Re: All negative reviews in the past that have been administrative related(YES I AM A REAL PATIENT)------- I have been going to Dr. Prayaga on and off for four years because I've moved several times. At first, the staff had some administrative problems. However, Dr. Prayaga, and the staff in general has taken enormous steps of improvement. I no longer experience extraordinarily long wait times, and I've observed the same from others too. Everything seems so precisely timed now. The staff was also impressively polite and punctual when I needed them to fax important records to another doctor. I will limit my critique to administrative matters because they have always been Dr. Prayaga's Achilles's Heel on online boards. As a Medical Practitioner, Dr. Prayaga's prognosis' have always been on point. Dr. Prayaga has worldwide experience which distinguishes him from other doctors IMO, because he takes multiple perspectives' into account when assessing his patients. -Andrew

flag | Submitted June 1, 2012

Do not use this doctor! It is the most poorly run office I have ever experienced. It also operates much like a pill mill, only accepting cash payments, then promptly writing out whatever prescriptions you say you need. If you lose your prescription plan on paying another $50 for a new one.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2011

Dr. Prayaga is a very kind person and I regret that I have had to terminate, due to conflicts in his appointment system. This year hit me hard and I lost everything I had. I was waiting to get insurance at my new employer. I lost a whole month's prescription in transit, untill a family member flew international(was not supposed to fly due to health reason's) to rescue me. I needed meds and didn't have another doctor. It maybe useful if they had the doctor's calendar and schedule. I fell really sick from coming off my medication schedule and took several months to reset myself. Back then, the ladies who worked there were Indian and were helpful, but they need a bit more health care oriented training and coordination, communication among themselves. Lastly, I come from a conservative background and felt apprehensive(arriving at this station in life), but I was comfortable talking to Dr. Prayaga. He spent several extra minutes with me and made sure I was doing well, especially in crisis.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2010