Ratings for Dr. Helen MacRae

I couldn't be happier with my decision to have surgery for ulcerative colitis. Dr Macrae is the absolute best! I have had no complications. Now I feel like a normal healthy person again. Wish I could repay her for giving me a healthy life again.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

You want the best well she is the best. A big thank you to her and her team.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2017

My heartfelt Thanks to Dr. MacRae and her team of doctors and nurses at Mount Sanai. Dr MacRae is an amazing surgeon. I had an Ulcerative Colitis emergency surgery last week. She performed laparoscopic ileostomy. Dr. MacRae is not only very knowledgeable in her field of work but very understanding, compassionate and comforting to patient needs. I was very nervous going into the surgery. She personally came out and took me into the surgery room. She and her whole team were absolutely wonderful. Her receptionist Firdeza, is amazing. Many blessings to Dr. MacRae , her team and Firdeza for everything... God bless them

flag | Submitted October 5, 2016

Love love love her!! Excellent surgeon. Firdeza is wonderful. They are both so helpful.

flag | Submitted June 9, 2016

Dr. MacRae is amazing. I have had 2 surgeries with her for my Crohns and she is absolutely wonderful. Her receptionist Firdeza, is absolutely amazing and with the volume she has to deal with I have no idea how she does it. Thanks Dr. MacRae and Firdeza for everything.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2016

I had sudden onset Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns. Dr MacRae helped me understand what was happening to me and how to help myself. Very good advice and very compassionate doctor. Knows her stuff. Have recommended her to several friends.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

I am 29 and have complicated fistulating Crohns Disease and lower bowel disease with pari-anal abscesses. I have had 9 surgeries with Dr. MacRae within the last 7 years for abscess drainings, ceton placements for fistulas and the latest being an laparoscopic ileostomy. Dr. MacRae is a very knowledgeable in her field of work and is very strait forward with procedures and recovery time. She is also very compassionate and comforting. While sitting in the OR for my ileostomy surgery, she played calming music for me to fall asleep to and was right there by my bedside patting my leg, reassuring me that I will be okay as they put me to sleep. Her receptionist, Firdeza, is absolutely amazing. Always on top of appointments and will return calls within a couple of days if not the same day. I don't know where my life would be without Dr. MacRae and her team. All the staff at Mount Sinai speak very highly of her and her work which is very comforting as a patient. She has saved my life over and over again and as my mother has stated, "Dr. MacRae is our angel!" ...Thank you Dr. MacRae, Firdeza, and the Mount Sinai staff!

flag | Submitted February 16, 2016

I have had 3 surgeries with Dr Macrae over the last 5 years. The first one was a subtotal colectomy, the second was the Jpouch creation and then finally the hook up of the Jpouch. She was amazing and so is her receptionist Firdeza. They both saved my life and made it possible for me to get healthy enough to get pregnant and have my daughter. She never sugar coated anything for me, I knew what to expect when it came to surgery and realistic recovery times. They were always available to answer my questions an put my mind at ease to any concerns. I certainly would not have chosen to have Ulcerative Colitis but thank God I was referred to Dr Macrae. She is definitely an angel and no wonder they say she is the best!

flag | Submitted August 17, 2015

I had a small bowel resection due to Crohns - which was performed by Dr MacRae. She is wonderful surgeon & saved my life. She is compassionate, understanding & extremely efficient compared to other Drs I have come into contact with. I truly cannot recommend her highly enough.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2015

I didn't have as positive an experience with Dr. McRae as you all did. The only good thing about my experience with her was her office assisstant. Over a year ago I had a bowel resection for Crohn's disease, which I have had before and was very positive thanks to Dr. Resnick at TGH. Unfortunately he accepted a teaching position full time and was not available, so I got stuck with her, the supposed "best". She saw me once before surgery, then the day following, and the 1st thing she said was that she thought she removed the wrong section of my small bowel! Then following the surgery I experienced a lot of pain, and when I went to see her at my insistance, she only offered me more pain meds, meanwhile I had a leak at the site that caused an infection. I was on antibiotics for 5 months! She didn't follow up with me at all, and they charged me $1350 for a room I hadn't asked for to boot, and refused to admit their mistake. She was no help at all. Thanks Dr. McRae!!! For nothing

flag | Submitted June 11, 2013