Ratings for Dr. D. JEFFREY Gunnells

I have never seen a more condescending doctor with worse bedside manner. I saw Dr Gunnells twice during my pregnancy and PP period while he was on call, and he was a complete jerk both times. One of the visits was for mastitis-- I was a brand new mom, having trouble breastfeeding, in pain and embarrassed that my breast was engorged and leaking. Rather than trying to minimize my embarrassment and discomfort, he looked at me disgustedly and asked, "it didn't occur to you to maybe pump or something before this visit?" To which I responded "yes-- it did, and then I sat in your waiting room for 2 hours, so it didn't do much good." I swear, I wouldn't take my dog to this guy-- there are some great doctors at HWWC-- he's not one of them.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

Dr. Gunnells has taken care of me with all of my pregnancies, and with this one I'm pretty sure he saved my life, my baby's or at least saved my kidney. I had a 9mm kidney stone low in my ureter and none of the radiologists or urologists could find it on scans. They were standing around scratching their heads, but Dr. Gunnells was very persistent, insisting that I wasn' t a fusser and there was definitely something wrong. The fluid was backing up into my kidneys and one kidney was not working. He insisted that they not give up, and that my pain was real, so they did a stent and found the stone that way. I'm so grateful that he listened to me and didn't brush off my complaints. He told me that it just goes to show how important it is to listen to patients because technology is no substitute for a patient's account of symptoms. He's right, and I'm so thankful I had him as a doctor with this little one.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

This was my first time seeing Dr. Jeffrey Gunnells. I made an appointment at the St. Vincent’s location and he was the only physician available. During my visit he seemed friendly but arrogant. I noticed several times during the appointment that he was not listening or taking what I had to say serious. He interrupting me several times when I was trying to explain my problem. He also assumed that I was having painful cramps during menstruation and wrote a prescription without asking me if OTC medication was working. The main reason for me writing this review was his persistence on a treatment and medication that I was not comfortable with. He also did not leave room for questions and concerns, I had to stop him halfway out the door with my questions. This was my first and last time seeing this doctor.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2016

I had a horrific first pregnancy: extreme hypertension at 20 weeks, low amniotic fluid, and a footling breech presentation. I spent the second half of my pregnancy on bed rest making three weekly visits to the office. Dr. Gunnells doesn't have the very best bedside manner but he was knowledgable, direct, and honest. I had no doubt that he was going to get us both through the situation. I delivered a healthy baby at 39 weeks via C-section and I can attest that he is definitely a skilled surgeon. While for everyday routine visits, I use another doctor now. If I ever had another difficult pregnancy, I would definitely be to see him.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2015

Visited Dr. Gunnells after reporting bleeding during my 1st trimester pregnancy. I was treated like this was of no big concern and was told I had a miscarriage. Pregnancy test was coming up vaguely pregnant. One solid line and one faint line. No idea how far along I might have been because no type of ultrasound/sonogram or any other type of checking was done. The doctor was not sympathetic at all, and offered no assistance, or emotional support. I am very disappointed with the way he acted on my visit. He did not volunteer any information that might have let me know what might have happened, or any thoughts. Just came in the room, talked to me and my husband, and then asked me what I had expected out of the visit. Like I was crazy for expecting something more thorough. I will never go back to him again. I do not lime being talked to like I'm some ignorant person who doesn't know anything about my body.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2014

Dr.Jeffrey Gunnells was on call the morning I went into labor with my 2nd child. This was the first time I had ever met him. My labor was going smooth and progessing well until about mid way through. Dr. Gunnells has discovered my babies umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice. Dr. Gunnells immediently brought this to the nurses attention. I became very nervous and upset. I was afraid the cord would tighten even more as I started to deliver my baby. Dr. Gunnells took the time to assure me if any stress whatsoever occured as I started to deliver that he was going to rush me in for a c-section birth. As soon as I started delivering my baby Dr. Gunnells cut the cord away from my babies neck. My baby girl arrived safe and sound. That was 24 years ago, but I will never forget how Dr. Gunnells took those extra few minutes to reassure me to trust him that my baby would be fine.

flag | Submitted September 16, 2013

I felt that Dr. Gunnells was condescending, and would never go back to him again. Although American Family Care had diagnosed me with a breast abscess, he sneered at the diagnosis, although I had brought my chart note. The chart note was ambiguous because it was "canned dictation" not giving as much information as it should have. I thought Dr. Gunnells lacked any personality, and would never trust him with my care.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2012

I used Dr Gunnells with both of my pregnancies and he was the most knowledgeable doctor who is straight to the point and always open to hear your thought on birth plans and the like. I am very sad that my insurance has changed that I cannot use him again as even though he was not on call he came in to deliver both my children! That's what I call commitment to your patients.

flag | Submitted January 18, 2011

He is not a very helpful or friendly person, we were not pleased with his attitude. He was on call for another physician and my daughter absolutely dreaded having him walk in the room. He acted like it was an imposition on him. I would not recommend him to anyone.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2010

Very nice and attentive doctor. Always helpful and just all around a nice manner. His nurses are very courteous and helpful as well.Always on time.Wait time has never been more than 30 min.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2010

Dr. D. JEFFREY Gunnells's Credentials

• Univ Of Al Sch Of Med, Birmingham Al 35294 (Grad. 1984)