Ratings for Dr. Mary Kay Tuohy

I have been seeing Dr. Tuohy for a few years now. I feel like she is a fairly average doctor - sometimes she is helpful and sometimes not.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2010

Tuohy was my doctor for about 7 years and seemed good, but I was healthy and had no medical issues. When I began having very severe peri-menopausal symptoms she did not believe me and refused to refer me to a specialty clinic covered by my insurance (presumably this was to “keep the money in the clinic”). She instead began prescribing a series of anti-depressants, none of which were effective and some of which caused me to feel like I wanted to die. When I told her that I wanted no more anti-depressants and to wean me off she replied "we don't need to wean you off, we'll just prescribe you with another anti-depressant". In the end I had to change my doctor in order to receive proper care, referral, and treatment for my symptoms. When doctors do not listen or believe and care more about the money than the patient, there is a major problem. This was precisely my experience with Tuohy. Watch out for this one unless you don't plan on needing anything beyond routine preventive maintenance.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2009

She was nice to me and I've only seen her once, but she made me a little nervous because it felt like she was analyzing me. With that said, I didn't really feel comfortable asking her about things than I would've with other doctors I've had in the past.

flag | Submitted May 25, 2009

I didn't feel Mary Tuhoy was 100% interested in what was going on with me; I got the impression that she figured that I was making mountains out of molehills.. It's not unreasonable, but when I asked her to seriously discuss my ADHD she turfed me over to a psychologist that was more interested in talking about my sex life then the fact that I couldn't concentrate on anything. When I attempted to start the process through her she seemed ill interested in assessing it. When my insurance lapsed and I called and asked to get a prescription on anti-depressants as I was not evaluated for ADD or ADHD she sent me information to go to a sliding scale clinic. All in all I hardly have ever gone to the doctor, and I definitely didn't think I got much out of this experience.

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

I have gone to Dr Tuohy for years. She is a very good listener. Takes time for exams. I have complete confidence in her diagnostic skills. She tends to be conservative in her approach to treatment but will take the time to explain why. The clinic is also on electronic medical records which I like.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2007

Dr. Mary Kay Tuohy's Credentials

• Univ Of Mn Med Sch-Minneapolis, Minneapolis Mn 55455 (Grad. 1988)

Commercial Insurance Company