Dr. S. Shankar

Ratings for Dr. S. Shankar

Ignorant and useless. Caused me more harm than good.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

Staff is very friendly, but cannot give it full marks due to the fact his secretary is only there in the afternoon to answer calls/set up appointments. I am thankful he was able to quickly diagnose my condition, as well as discuss medicine options. However, I do feel the appointments are a little scripted, will ask you the same sequence of questions (every appointment) but leave you little room to elaborate before jumping on the next question. I am glad the core symptoms are being managed by medication, but the therapy portion of his appointments are severely lacking. I leave my appointments with a medication refill, and that is all. It would be nice to get a little bit more take away information/suggestions I should be doing so we can discuss it in the next appointment. Usually wait about 15 minutes prior to actual appointment time in waiting room, but that isn't all that bad compared to some doctors.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2017

Have to wait every visit, Dr. Shankar is knowledgeable but seems arrogant. Cathy is fantastic, so kind, friendly, understanding, empathetic.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

I've told many people over the years how fortunate I am to have such a great psychiatrist. I've been a patient for 14 years now and over that time Dr. Shankar has quite literally been a big part of saving my life twice. It is obvious that he is a good and caring person and that he genuinely cares about me and my family. His secretary is amazing too!!

flag | Submitted September 15, 2016

This Dr is a waste of time. All he does is give you scripts for meds he doesn't understand himself. Have to keep tabs on my own blood pressure, he's a Dr..... Surely he can do this? Gave me very bad advice on stopping a medication. Will never, ever go back there. Wish I never did

flag | Submitted August 8, 2016

New to Dr. Shankar, Him and his secretary are very nice. Only problem is that if you can only get there on certain days, it is very hard to get an appointment when he tells you to return.. Feel they should be more flexible on which days you can go.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2015

Cathy his receptionist is awesome. She is engaging and basically great at overseeing things. Dr. Shankar has been arrogant, rude and narrow minded. I felt judged quickly at first appt and that feeling has continued. He has prescribed meds that are known to damage the liver to me even though I have a liver issue. He has prescribed an anti depressant without clarifying that it was anything but a drug for anxiety. He has made negative comments about my being "obese" (I'm not obese but even if I was, no excuse) and that I need to eat less. This is bring said to someone who has a severely suppressed appetite due to trauma. He refuses to understand the fact that some people do not lose weight when they're not eating much at all. I'm in a trauma support group where several others have low appetite but no weight loss due to extremely low metabolism/high cortisol levels. I feel he is not listening or open to learning new information.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2015

He has been heaven sent to me. He listens and I get the feeling he genuinely cares. He took his time to understand how I function more. He is so calm and easy to talk to. He is the first of many doctors I've seen that makes me feel like I'm not just a dollar sign. He takes his time and explains everything in details. I'm so happy to have found him. I have great trust in him. And his secretary is phenomenonal ... So glad I found him.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2015

Prescribes medication, but does not monitor vitals at all. When questioned about this, I was told to go see my GP for that. Ineffective. Waste of my time, when I have been trying to get the help I need.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

I am new to Dr. Shankar's office but I am really happy so far. I find him very informative and easy to talk to. His secretary is really great too!

flag | Submitted January 8, 2014