Ratings for Dr. Robert J. Benz

I am one who grows bone spurs in my spine. I was first referred to Dr Benz in 2008 and he did my surgery to remove them. He was very knowledgeable understanding and friendly. He understood my concerns. One thing I will always remember was his advice that if I did exactly what he advised I would have a complete recovery. I listened and did that and it was great. Two years ago I had to have new spurs removed and I knew where I was going to go. Again a successful surgery that was more involved than the first. I have no hesitation at all in recommending Dr Benz.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2019

Dr. Benz was impatient and entirely unhelpful when I took my aunt to get recommendations for treatment options after a car accident and chronic pain that was creating neuropathy. He gave minimal attention and basically said there was nothing that could be done as "this is what happens when you get old". After 3 years of going to doctors with my parents and family members, this is the first negative experience I have had with any physician in Fort Collins. I would never recommend Dr. Benz to anyone, and Spine Center of the Rockies should be requesting more feedback about their physicians as his performance reflects poorly on the Center. I should add that the front desk staff was excellent and very interested in being helpful. The nursing staff was quick and a bit dismissive, but not overall bad.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2019

Wish there were negative star options! My husband went to the emergency room for bulging disc and sciatica nerve pain and was referred to Dr. Benz. What an unfortunate break for us! This man has the bedside manner of a rock. He was unhelpful, unsympathetic, and generally seemed uninterested in doing his job. The only thing that made our experience with Dr. Benz worse was his nurse Megan. She was rude and could not have been less helpful. We will absolutely not go back and will tell any and everyone we can not to see Dr. Benz either!

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

Dr Benz is very direct and to the point, he explain all the posibles treatments options in detail and (when the pain became unbearable) he was able to schedule my surgery in less than 2 weeks. I'm felling like a new person and my quality of life as increase tremendously, I would highly recomend his services.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2018

This fellow needs to work on his "bed-side" manner. He was not interested in what I had to say. Dismissive. He offered major surgery with pins/rods to straighten my spine or to turn me over "to the pain people ". I choose the latter. I was just another old lady with a bad back, "next customer,please" attitude.He may be knowledgeable but didn't share that knowledge with me. I didn't learn anything except I will not see him again. He acted as though I was a waste of his time.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2017

He was extremely nice and straight forward. Enjoyed the visit.

flag | Submitted October 17, 2017

Dr. Benz was very helpful and went out of his way to get me the treatment that I needed. When I failed to complete an MRI due to the pain I experienced, he developed a plan to help mitigate that pain so that I was able to get through the test. He got his staff to arrange for another MRI attempt, got it set up for me an injection immediately before the test and then an appointment scheduled to see him again immediately afterwards. When reviewing the test results, Dr. Benz clearly explained the possible treatment options to me. He also explained what his recommendation was and the reasons for it. I had a herniated cervical disc and we decided upon surgery. Dr. Benz and his staff arranged for me to have surgery the very next day! I'm sure that the easy approach would have been to just schedule the surgery where ever it fit, which very likely would have been a week or two later. I would have been OK with that and had no expectation of anything different. But Dr. Benz pushed to fit me in as soon as possible. I am very grateful that he made this extra effort to prevent me from having to suffer any longer than necessary. The surgery itself was very successful and my pain was immediately and completely eliminated. I feel better than I have for a very long time. I appreciate very much not only Dr. Benz's skill in curing my issue, but also his efforts to make it occur as quickly as possible to limit the amount of time I had to continue suffering from the pain.

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

I went in for weakness in legs and severe lower back and neck pain. The x-ray did not show much and his whole attitude was dismissive and arrogant. He did not treat my problem with any form of compassion, he talked to me as if I came in asking for a cure for the sniffles. His diagnosis was that I had tight hamstrings and he proceeded to demonstrate his morning hamstring stretches! Terrible excuse for a doctor, I just hope that the physical therapist will be actually help to alleviate my suffering.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2017

Dr Benz operated on my spine. When I went for my 2 week post op visit still in pain, while he looked at his computer with his back to me, he said," unfortunately some surgeries do not turn out like we like them to". The pins that he placed had slipped and were pressing on my sciatic nerve. He told me I could have the surgery again, go to PT or live with it. I chose to have the surgery again to relieve the pain. This time he fused my spine and as a result I can no longer bend.I would NOT recommend hi for surgery on any human and not even on my dog. And his nurse, Lindsay, is impolite, uncaring and impatient with patients. So they make a pair that should work together. His PA, Nancy, however is very kind, professional, caring and easy to talk with. I hope she leaves his practice as she deserves to work with an excellent MD and not this one.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2017

I started seeing Dr. Benz and nurse Megan in January2016. I had my first neck surgery in February, a couple of weeks later the disks above started to fail. I went back and was only treated very poorly by both of them. Dr. Benz did decide that a second surgery was necessary, but not before saying very sarcastically that if he fused neck then everyone with neck problems would be walking around with fused necks. No apologies for not getting it right, just blatant disregard for me and my condition. After second surgery( fusion) I am still having 5-8pain level daily. I went back to Dr. Benz again only to be treated poorly once again and was told I have rocks in my head and belitted. Finally he tells me he'll give me a script to have injection and nerve ablasion. I have since gone to have injection with no relief in sight. Dr. Benz and nurse Megan are rude, nasty and treat patients very poorly. Seek and diferent Dr.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2016

Dr. Robert J. Benz's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1993)

Top Hospitals in Fort Collins, CO