Ratings for Dr. A. Jovaisas

Dr. Jovaisas has been my rheumatologist for more than 30 years. He prescribed an NSAID that solved my knee pains immediately in 1986, gave me a cortisone shot in my left shoulder, and arranged for the best orthopaedic surgeons to replace first one knee, then one shoulder, then the other knee over a five year period. When Celebrex became available he got me into the huge international stud y, and then got it for me, and it has been effective ever since. Now my problem is neurological (PD), so I will no longer be needing a rheumatologist. It has been an extreme pleasure to have had Algis Jovaisas as my rheumatologist for a third of a century.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2018

Definitely getting kickbacks. Arrogant and doesn’t really go beyond the things that are in front of his face. I had to ask for specific drugs and tests. Even then he tried to send me to specific service centres. Not impressed. Try to get dr Thompson. That guy is amazing

flag | Submitted April 12, 2018

I've been seeing Dr. Jovaisas on and off for 27 years. He diagnosed me when I was a teenager and got me into remission and eventually off all medication. When I had a flare up in my thirties, again, he got me into remission and then tapered off medication. He is not warm and cuddly, but nor is he uncaring or cold. He is just efficient, knowledgeable and very competent. I'm very grateful to him for the help he's given me.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2018

I only have good things to say about Dr. J. Yes, he's abrupt at times but if you don't want to hear the answer, don't ask the question. I'd rather have a specialist who knows his stuff rather than one that doesn't but smiles a lot. Over the years, he has taken the time to listen carefully to my complex symptoms, has ordered all of the appropriate tests, has educated me on the relative merits of the various treatments available and the risks involved and uses my time and his very wisely. For example, I have only once had to wait more than 10 minutes beyond my scheduled appointment. Unlike many physicians I have encountered, he knows my case and has actually read test results BEFORE I'm in the office seeing him face-to-face. His longtime receptionist has retired but the new one is also a joy to deal with so he's still 5-stars all around in my book.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2018

I have seem him three times. He is always nice. He got me of off prednisone after I was misdiagnosed. He asked me a lot of questions and seemed to really care. If it wasn't for him I'd still be taking prednisone for no reason.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2017

Worst specialist I've ever seen waited to see him to get a diagnosis sent by my family Dr. He sent me for a million xrays and blood work that wasn't covered under Ohip never even took 2 minutes to examine me only read my file once i was there sent a report back to my go stating that what ever he believed I had that was it and on his report clearly stated that he supported only decisions make by pfizer funny enough my gp looked into it bad he's is sponsored by them medicationhe wanted me to take there ones I had tried in the past and clearly indicated that they were not meant for the illness that he said I had to completely useless visits and still no diagnosis my GP sent me there in hopes of getting a diagnosis on paper instead he just said that he agreed with my family doctor so my family doctor and myself don't understand why I even went to see him he wasn't willing to help was not willing to listen my symptoms have gotten much worse my family doctor put me on a specific medication meant for something completely different than what they originally thought I was and it actually helped and he kept saying that it was impossible so what I'm wondering is if he is sponsored by this pharmaceutical company and he's obviously not ashamed of it how is he giving Affair diagnosis to anyone because he's clearly only going to prescribe medications made by this company which in the end could be more harmful to the patient he needs to take the time to look at people's files before they get there and actually take time I would have to visit to examine the patient especially when that patient has fingers and toes that are starting to be crooked extremely swollen joints which are very noticeable to the I even a doctor could see that he doesn't seem to care about giving diagnosis at all only seems to care about making money from the prescriptions he gives out try to call his office multiple times after seeing him the second time to explain to them that I cannot take the medication he had prescribed no one ever gets back to me and then when I finally got ahold of someone was told to go back and see my family doctor this doctor is definitely not practicing to help people which is very unfortunate because there's a huge lack of rheumatologist in the area and so many people need a diagnosis but if you're expecting one from him it's a complete waste of time trying to find another doctor or even go out of town and pay out of pocket because you'll wait for months to see him and he's not going to help you

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

I saw dr Jovaisis about 2 years ago at his Carling Office. (i guess his office has moved since) I went in suffering from years of random joint pain. He never even looked at my old test results i brought in. As soon as i said i had tested positive for Anti nuclear A and B markers he went on a rant about how useless the test was and that he was fighting to get it removed from the system as it was a waste of medical dollars. After his lecture on how useless this test was he still never looked at my file, and said he couldnt help me. Then i asked him what to do about my frequent pain and he said i would likely live my life on nsaids (IBU profin, aleve etc) Believe i have been using them for years but that is not a solution to the problem. Two weeks ago i finally got a diagnosis and i have Lyme disease. I don't blame him for not diagnosing me as very few doctors in Canada are Lyme literate but he didn't try and told me to live on anti-inflamatories......for that i give him a one star.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2017

Receptionist was pleasant. Doctor was rude, abrupt, I couldn't get a word in edge wise. He spent all of 7-10 minutes max with me and went to prescription drugs within 5 minutes or so despite saying that I don't have any of the conditions he specializes in. He showed no interest in taking any time to understand my symptoms and I was rushed out with no clear answers. If you can avoid this doctor I would suggest you do a little reserve and ask to be referred to a doctor with a better track record for patient care.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

The Dr was clear in saying that my case is not within his specialty, so he refereed me to a neurologist. No follow up on referral to that other specialist?

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

I read the reviews but I wanted to give Dr Jovaisas the benefit of the doubt, but all the reviews were bang on. He was rude the minute I walked in the room. He wanted nothing to do with me. He didn't care about anything that I said, and he just brushed me off every time I opened my mouth. I have never been treated so badly by anyone in the medical profession. How this doctor is still practising, baffles me. However, I do want to point out that his receptionist was very nice, I feel bad that she has to work with such a miserable person. Please, if you get a referral for him, change it, don't even waste your time.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2017