Ratings for Dr. A. Jovaisas

I'm actually very surprised at the comments on here I saw him first in 2007 and at the time he was honest with me and my family doctor and said that he had an idea of what the issues were but he couldn't confirm at the time now in 2016 I have gotten worse and he's agreed to see me again I had the office call me to make an appointment I had no issues being able to schedule an appointment to see him also I do agree he's not the type of doctor that wants to do small chat he's there to do his job and I'll meet you the one thing that I noticed on here is that people are saying that he hasn't been helpful but in reality as a rheumatologist his job is to figure out add diagnosis related to his field if he believes that it's not Rheumatology related he will be honest with you and tell you that he's not able to help you which was the case for me in 2007 I didn't get offended by it I was actually pleased that he was honest with me and told me that it wasn't something he was able to help me with so for everyone that says that he wasn't able to help them it might be the case in a few instances but I can't see that being the case and all of them if you have an illness that is not related to his specialty he's going to be blunt and honest with you and tell you that he can treat you you then go back to your family doctor and get referred to the right specialist whether it be a neurologist or a chronic pain specialist also I think most patients that go to Rheumatology Clinic automatically assume that the doctor and they see for their diagnosis is going to treat them afterwards which is not how it works he's there to tell you what he thinks is going on and then from there he will tell you what he thinks needs to be done in order to address the issues and if it's not something he's comfortable in treating he will ask you to go see another doctor that specializes in that specific illness which is the case with me so I honestly would not go by the ratings on here because I do not agree with a lot of what has been said and I don't think it's fair to him just because you referred to a specialist doesn't mean he's going to treat you

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

I feel badly for the reviewers here who have had a poor experience with Dr. Jovaisas. I'm not sure if we could possibly be speaking about the same doctor. I believe he has moved and that his nurse/receptionist is new. There were no signs about not tearing magazines -- I was greeted warmly and the entire atmosphere in the waiting room was one of compassion and good humour. Doctor Jovaisas also greeted me warmly, making sure I was comfortable before proceeding with the exam. He asked relevant questions, gave me a physical exam and ordered appropriate tests. He took the time to talk to me, read my file and truly listen. He prescribed appropriate medication, making certain there were no contraindications or allergies. After taking more time with me than any other Rheumatologist has, he discussed possible treatments making sure that I understood the process and exactly what would happen with each option. Consider yourself fortunate if you get to see this doctor for any of your health issues. In my opinion he is absolutely among the very best and his staff is first-rate.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2016

I was not impressed with Dr. Jovaisas nor his staff. I dislike how he cancels appointments and has them rescheduled, with no concern about the patient and their schedule. I returned specifically from vacation to see him in May, only to have a phone call to say he would not be in on the day scheduled and I was rescheduled for July. Is my time not as important as his? Very disrespectful. I did not feel good about any visits with him, he not once examined me from the day I met him. You are ushered in and out like cattle. He is too quick with the prescription pad. As for his secretary/office worker, she is just plain aggressive and rude. Have found another Rheumatologist that I really like, who examined me on day one. I want a doctor who shows an interest in me as a person and has compassion. I don't want to be part of a production line. No more Dr. Jovaisas for me, a complete waste of my time.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2015

Unlike many of the comments posted here i found Dr Jovaisas to be very good and knowlegable. I never had an issue with any if my appointments, easy to book them, always on time, they were never cancelled....except for the fact that a Rheumotologist has come closer to where i live i would have remainded with him. For anybody looking for a Rheumotologist in Ottawa i would recommend Dr Jovaisas.......thank you for the excellent care you gave me

flag | Submitted May 28, 2015

He misdiagnosed me on the very first visit, and it continued through the next 2 visits. He is a total waste of time and does not know what he is talking about. For my first visit he just asked me to raise my arms over my head and weigh myself, then he left the room and told me to get dressed. The man should have his license revoked. I totally agree on his secretary, if possible, she is worse than he is! I never went back, and I lucked out by finding a REAL rheumatologist. Very first visit I was given a total exam, head to toe, full x-rays and blood work (which Jovaisas never did - not one x-ray or any blood work). I have inflammatory arthritis - he said I had poly-myalgia.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2015

Spends very very little time with each patient - this is apparent by watching the revolving door to his office from the waiting room. Because I got so little information from him at my first appointment, I followed up with my family doctor, hoping to get more answers about my condition. My family doctor had my visit report faxed from Dr. Jovaisis office and IT HAD BEEN COMPLETELY FABRICATED. It indicated that I'd been weighed, examined etc, none of which had happened. Someone else had even completed a questionnaire on my behalf - a medical history with no basis whatsoever. In reality I had been in his office no more than 3 minutes - long enough to be told that I have osteoporosis at age 53 and to be handed a prescription. In a subsequent visit he strongly encouraged me to participate in an experimental drug study (for which he will be financially rewarded if he can find enough participants). It is at this point that he informs me that xrays showed that I had 3 vertebrae fractures - never mentioned to me before, but a requirement for the study. (I took these xrays elsewhere for a second and third opinions and they did not concur.) The drug in question has been labelled in the US, indicating that it causes bone cancer in rats. I could go on - there is more of the same. This man seems to be driven solely by money, and his secretary is an embarrassment. It is shameful how she treats some patients in the waiting area.

flag | Submitted May 3, 2015

100% in agreement on his secretary. One of the rudest people in the medical profession. Bravo for your comments. However the Doctor is the great and factual with patients.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2015

Dr. J's secretary appears to have no conscience. Her kurt remarks are unappreciated and unwelcome. I do not think she she realizes that people are coming into the office because they are in excruciating pain ; she could show some compassion and/or professionalism and not say anything at all. She should realize that she is making the first impression re: the doctor which is not working in his favor. After having called to make a follow-up apt. with the dates she suggested , one should not have to call back repeatedly asking her to book a time . As a secretary one would think that it is her that would call you back and do in such a manner that you do not hang up thinking that you have totally disrupted her day. The longer you wait for her to return your call, the longer it takes for you to see the doctor and then the doctor is upset because you did not come to see him earlier. Don't even think about faxing something to the doctor without being reprimanded. This is enough to deter one from ever returning to the office. Patient's coming into the office are first greeted with her sign re: old magazines :"If I catch you (tearing out pages) you will pay!!!)" written boldly in red. I am sure there are other ways to get the message across. She almost evokes the feeling of tearing a page out of every magazine in front of her. I guess then she will have to increase her workload by having to write everyone a bill! How insulting and then you have to see the doctor.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2014

I have been a patient with Dr. Jovaisis for over two years. I find him to be very professional and to the point. He is not one to have a lengthy social conversation with if one is looking for a rheumatoligist to do that with however he is the best rheumologist I have found regarding knowledge, the latest medical procedures for rheumatoid arthritis, and writing clear consise reports to my general practicioner stipulating what next tests and steps are mandatory. Perhaps one may not consider his bedside manner to be the best however I do not think one cannot refute the extent of his knowledge and experience. In my experience Dr. Jovaisas has never not answered my questions. I wish he could cure me on the spot but realistically I know that that is not going to happen so I would rather have someone who is honest with me and help me to the best of his ability by being on top of the latest medical research in his field. If it takes ten minutes for him to tell me this is what he can or cannot do so be it.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2014

At my initial visit, I was asked to do blood work and x-rays, which I did within a couple of days. He asked me to come back in 3 months. I made an appointment and THEY called to cancel and booked me another 3 months down the road - so 6 months. I saw him on the day before I was flying to Australia; so I had things to do. I waited about 90 minutes, only to be asked if I'd done he requested x-rays. Now, don't you think, if I wait that long, that the office staff might follow up if test results had not been received? It was a total waste of my time. I left and swore I'd never go back and I haven't. He treats patients like a hunk of meat!

flag | Submitted July 21, 2014