Ratings for Dr. Robert W. Hunt

Dr. Hunt is so inept that he is dangerous! He prescribed a medication that my son had a bad reaction to. The reaction was a life-threatening rash known as “Stevens-Johnson Syndrome” When we tried to reach Dr. Hunt to see what we should do, he was unavailable for DAYS! His billing practices are also suspect. DO NOT go to this psychiatrist!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2015

As a health provider, I personally know a lot of psychiatrists; Dr. Hunt is one of the very worst I have ever had the misfortune of meeting. DO NOT go to him. He did not file essential disability paperwork, even after repeated requests by me, my employer, and my insurance company. He did not remember my name or that we had met for med management only a few days ago. He is curt, dismissive, and flat out rude; it staggers me that people attempt to do therapy with him. It's like you're not even in the room with him. I could go on, but it suffices to say that he should not be in a helping profession. Again, do yourself a favor and see someone else for your psychiatric services.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2013

My daughter has bipolar disorder, and we saw several psychiatrists who didn't help her at all. Then we saw Dr. Hunt, and he was a Godsend. He took a very systematic, evidence-based approach. It required patience. We had to try many different combinations of medicines. But eventually he stabilized her, and she has been much much better over the last 4 years. Dr. Hunt is by far the best psychiatrist we ever saw. He does have a sleep disorder which causes him to nod off now and then, and he does tend to run late. But despite these flaws, he is a great psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2012

In Aug 2011, I went to see Dr. Hunt to get a mental health evaluation for a surgical procedure not for medication. He nodded off during sessions, asked me the same questions multiple times during sessions. On the 3rd visit, he suddenly stopped talking in mid-sentence and when I asked if he was okay, he stated that he had a sleeping disorder and was due medication soon. On the 5th visit, he couldn't find the evaluation and stated that he thought he had filed it under someone else's name. He said that he would find the letter and get it to me by the end of the week. Several times during that session he stated that there would be no charge for the visit. Not only did he bill my insurance for the session he said was no charge, his office has ignored my calls and messages about refunding me for overpayments I made on copays. In mid-Oct, I ended up going elsewhere to get the evaluation completed. I filed a complaint with the DC Medical Board and my insurance company.

flag | Submitted February 15, 2012

Dr. Hunt is one of the few psychiatrists in the area who will treat BPD patients, who are notorious complainers (since nothing is ever their fault). I know because my ex-wife is BPD and he mentioned the challenges associated with treating them. I'd take these comments with a grain of salt.

flag | Submitted January 19, 2012

He does use his laptop alot, but I believe it is to keep good track of everything you are saying and your treatment. I have had nothing but good experiences with this doctor. Many of the coments relate to medication, maybe the poor comments are because he would not give them the medication they desired, and he knew they didn't need. Why wouldn't a Dr. ask how the medication was working? I wouldn't expect him to just prescribe and not follow up!

flag | Submitted September 4, 2011

I am stunned by these few reviews I have been seeing Dr. Robert Hunt for over 4 years and he has been very attentive and the first Doctor who listened to me and told me that he will not be manipulated. Most patients Google the syndromes to manipulate the Doctor to give them what ever they want. I have a condition and have lived in denial for years- while my family was aware I self medicated and rode out the highs and lows. I realized that I did need help and he was not only right about my diagnosis but he called regularly as we increased doses would and has always returned my calls; I am the one who would show up late or even a day late and yes he types on his laptop- he types 120 words a minute- would you rather he just stare at you or take hand written notes? I know several of his other patients and we do not discriminate against one's handicap- he is NOT sleeping or dozing off he is typing and listening to every word. I am glad I found this site and will pass it on to the rest.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2011

I'd like to echo all of the statements already made. Dr. Hunt was supposed to call in a prescription 2 weeks ago and still hasn't. I've left him six voicemails over the last 3 days and still haven't heard back from him. He was an hour late for our last appointment, has fallen asleep in sessions, and every single time fails to call in a prescription. I am starting with a new doctor next week, at which point I am planning to tell Dr. Hunt exactly what I think of him, and filing an official with the DC Department of Health. If you're a patient of his, I encourage you to do the same: http://hpla.doh.dc.gov/hpla/frames.asp?doc=/hpla/lib/hpla/medicine/complaint_form.pdf

flag | Submitted August 15, 2011

I am currently seeing Dr. Hunt and would NOT recommend him for the following reasons: He has gotten my appointment time wrong 3 times, causing me to wait an hour for him to squeeze me in for 5 seconds, and pay him $20 for a refill Rx. He has a sleep disorder of some kind that has caused him to nod off while I'm talking. He once moved offices to across the street and failed to notify me before my next appointment. He never apologizes, EVER, for any of this--once, he gave me some stupid line like, "If tried by a jury of my peers, I would be convicted of being human." Really? Dr. Hunt is competent as a prescriber, which may be a matter of luck--it just so happens that the drug he likes to give is the one that seems to work for me. But if you're looking for someone who will give you individual care, any sort of talking/therapy, or even someone who you remotely like, look elsewhere. (BTW, when I rate Staff I'm talking about his scheduler, not the office staff.)

flag | Submitted June 29, 2011

All I can say is don't go to this strange man. When telling him about someone who cheated on me, he said "he's not the first man to follow the tip of his penis". to be honest I was very uncomfortable the entire time. He also referred to lactating nipples at one point.

flag | Submitted April 8, 2011

Dr. Robert W. Hunt's Credentials

• Meharry Medical College School Of Medicine (Grad. 1972)

GHI