Ratings for Dr. Penny Smyth

Dr. Smyth was my first neurologist, she took amazing care of me when my MS started to get very afgresive. She got me involved in a study in Ottawa for a Stem Cell Transplant, vety happy with everything she’s done for me. Thanks to her amazing referral to Dr Freedman in Ottawa for the study, I am walking on my own again with ni assistanxe of any kind. I would love to one day be able to see her again to show her well I am now doing, and ro thank her for getting ne in to the SCT study 😊

flag | Submitted October 5, 2017

I was completely taken aback at how rude this woman is. I'm not surprised to hear that there were investigations concerning her, in B.C. where she moved from. This was the first time I had met her and it will be the last. I had hoped that I'd get some answers regarding my m.s at this initial appt. That didn't happen. She had an intern examine me initially, then came in to follow up. She was very brusque and seemed angry. It was a wasted appointment as I wasn't t given a chance to say much. When I tried asking a question she snapped back a rude comment. I left that day thinking that I wanted to report her to a medical board. I will look into the procedure and see if it would do any good. This seemed to me to be more than just having a bad day. This woman struck me as extremely arrogant and mean.

flag | Submitted November 16, 2016

Fantastic neurologist that has consistently been available when I need her. She doesn't sugar coat anything and tells you what you need to know. I appreciate how honest and straight up she is. I have had several different neurologists at this point and Dr. Smyth is by far my favourite. Being at the Kaye clinic also has the bonus of nurses always being available to speak to when you have questions, something that has not been easy to access in the past with other neurologists. Dr. Smyth has gone above and beyond for me on several occasions I am am glad that she is my neurologist.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2016

After visiting 4 different neurologists for my MS, she was great. Top ratings in my book and I would highly recommend her if she was taking new patients. She is very knowledgeable and has great bedside manner and understanding. Very compassionate.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2015

Dr Smyth is usually on time and her staff will allow you to see only her and not a medical student or resident first if you request it. She knowns the basics of MS, but seems a lot more interested in helping people get pregnant than in treating their MS. Dismissive if you do not want children, and not willing to listen to your concerns. Very cursory history and often no physical. Doesn't give you time to express your concerns, and when you try will cut you off with her opinion. Keen on keeping people on treatment and won't listen long enough to the reasons you don't wish to continue. Over reliance on MRI despite not changing her treatment plan based on it - why do a test if it won't change what you do? Told me it was a "baseline" even though I'd had previous ones done, and now wants to repeat it "just to check".

flag | Submitted May 6, 2014

Penny was very rude and condescending during my consultation and it did not seem like she cared about my problems. She seems like she had inadequate knowledge in her area of neurology and never took the time to fully explain my diagnosis of MS. After being so upset at her for some time I had to switch neurologists. When I met my new neurologist I was taken back at how much better he treated me and was able to explain my diagnosis and listen to my needs. During my consultation I realized that Dr Smyth was under investigation from the College of Physicians and surgeons in BC and had to leave that province due to disciplinary hearing that were brought against her. I really suggest that you consider another neurologist when being referred to her. She is the worst doctor I have ever met.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2013

For starters, Dr. Smyth won't even see her patients on a yearly basis. You are lucky to get 1/2 hour with her every 2+ years and she is very uncaring. If you do have an appointment, dont be surprised if they call and cancel the day before and just dont rebook you. Her staff is VERY rude and will talk to you like you are a child. I will not be back. You people need a heart.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2012

I was a patient of Penny's a few years ago, in Vancouver. She continually took calls while I sat in her office, did some unrealistic tapping reflex tests, unrelated to my problem, visit after visit, and did not address the issue - which I am still greatly suffering from. It took a knowledge of the fact that her father worked in Surrey for me to call and find out she had moved. There was no message on an anwering machine to say so. So I have been left without a neurologist for a few years now. I watch my disability grow, take medication - paid my own MRI during the time I was seeing Penny, and really should be having another one now. Sigh.....The Oral Pain Specialist I have seen was more helpful, especially with medication (Lyrica), but she also moved with no message on machine, and I tried to get her for two years. By fluke, I found the doctor who now has that doctor's files on me.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2011

Dr. Smythe actually said to me in parting "you probably have MS...but don't worry". Her office took several days and several messages later to get back to me and were dismissive. When my MRI results came back, I couldn't get in to see her for weeks and my calls were so late in being returned; she finally got me in and after giving me my results, spent the rest of MY appointment talking to my sister about unrelated topics. I do not recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2011

I was one of her patients who didn't know that she moved until I went for a prescription refill and she wasn't a physician in BC anymore. She should have informed patients that she was leaving. I found she knew her stuff about MS but she harped on me having kids (I don't want kids - what's wrong with that?) every time I had a checkup.

flag | Submitted April 26, 2010