Ratings for Dr. Harold F. Farber

I came in for dark pigmentation on my face and a bump on my hand that has been here for a long time and has increased in size. I though that the bump was just a wart as that us what my previous dermatologist said. I am a school teacher holding kids hands every day. A lot of kids have warts and I might get it from them. I would use a nail clipper to take the bump off multiple times but weeks later it keeps coming back bigger. Kids keep telling me to wash my hands as something is on it. They might think that I have a bug or something worse with hygiene. Fast forward- Dr Farber told me that the pigmentation on my face is Melasma and can be treated medically or cosmetically. He told me to try the topical medication first and if nothing changes than we will do another approach. He went over the treatment options for my face with me. He emphasized however What worried him the most was my hand.  How long do you have the bump was his question.  This should be removed and tested. I told him my previous Dermatologist said it is a wart and will fall off after a couple of liquid nitrogen treatments. He said this doesn’t look like a typical wart and he can remove it and send it to pathology. Since I am here already and the bump has never went away completely and does  bleed I gave Dr Farber permission to test the bump. He gave me the topical medication for my face. One Week later I received a phone call that I needed to come in to  see Dr Farber. I was very nervous and his assistant was nice enough to put me in that night.  Dr Farber stayed extra time for me. It turned out that the bump on my hand is a Keratoacanthoma Squamous  Cell Carcinoma  and tends to be recurrent. Dr Farber was kind enough to stay late that night and do the surgery for me. I asked him to do it that night Because it happened to be a long weekend so I have more time to recover before I went back to work. The surgery went very well and I had to come back in ten days to remove the sutures. I wanted  to share my story with others if something doesn’t go away if increased in size to make sure you see a doc or get a second opinion. In spite of all I went though I am lucky to have my hand. Currently I am seeing Dr. Farber every 6 months to monitor my moles. I also do the self check exam at home that Dr Farber taught me. I am very grateful for Dr Farber. You alway should be safe than sorry.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2019

Dr Farber and his staff offer exceptional service and provide amazing care. It was my first time there and I wasn’t aware that my insurance had switched over to an HMO and I needed a referral. The staff was kind enough to call my family doctor they got a referral for me. I was impressed by how knowledgeable Dr Farber was with his medical care and how much attention he paid to the end result both medically and cosmetically. He removed a big cyst on my face that left no noticeable scar. He also got me samples of the medication I needed for my rash. I never thought that I would say that I loved the whole experience when going to a Doctor but with Dr Farber and staff I really did love the experience and the outcome and the way I was treated!

flag | Submitted December 19, 2018

The best team! I came in for a cyst on my scalp. Dr Farber did a fantastic job on removing it. After four weeks my surgery healed completely. He does have a magic hands

flag | Submitted November 1, 2018

I would like to share my wonderful experiences with Dr Farber. First of all thank you very much for seeing me on such short time notice. I use to go to Drexel Dermatology- since they closed I had to find another doctor. I have been treated for psoriasis many years. Those who have psoriasis know how painful it can be. For years I have had low self esteem wearing long clothing even if is 100 degrees outside. During My first appointment with Dr Farber he give me injections to stop the itching and he gave me medications. He got me samples and the medicine helped a lot. He also looked at the dark spot on my breast spreading to my chest and he did a biopsy. He also went over different treatment options for me including biological treatments and laser. I was than given a blood work script to make sure the medicine was safe. On My second visit Dr. Farber went over my blood work and give me options of treatment . He also told me that the biopsy on my chest was an internal cancer and that I had to follow up with my primary care and oncologist. I told Dr Farber that I don’t have a primary care. He help me find my primary care and I went for a mammogram. I truly appreciate Dr Farber for finding my cancer, getting me to the right place and receiving proper treatment. Please don’t make the same mistake that I made- your life is more important than work or money. I was lucky I found Dr Farber in time to help my psoriasis and to find a cancer that could have killed me. Dr Farber is a great doctor!!

flag | Submitted September 30, 2018

flag | Submitted September 26, 2018

Knowledgeable doctor and staff!! Dr. farber cares about proper patient treatment!

flag | Submitted September 18, 2018

In July, 2018, Dr Farber expertly removed the sensitively-located mole I asked him to check on my first visit. He had me returning to remove other moles he said "shouldn't be there", including a keratosis. Keratoses do not become cancerous, and I was never interested in any cosmetic removals, so I became suspicious that he was “biopsy-happy”, which is very expensive. He never discussed, or even mentioned, the biopsies with me, and I don't recall him ever cleaning the biopsy sites before cutting. I had enough after seven weekly visits and 14 biopsies in less than 2 months, so I cancelled my next appt. and found an impeccably-rated dermatologist, in Haverford, to finally get a complete skin check done. Nothing was found suspicious enough to warrant a biopsy(!) and it was suggested I return for a check yearly. (Farber had recommended I return every couple of months.). I did call Medicare to discuss his practices.

flag | Submitted September 18, 2018

I have been a patient here for over twenty years. I love this office. Dr Farber is a wonderful doc. During my twenty years as a patient I have switched from many insurances because of life events, lost job, etc. But that never stopped Dr Farber from treating me. I have psoriasis and a family history of melanoma of which my sister died/ serious conditions that I didn’t want to ignore as I have a disabled son to care for. At one point I didn’t have any insurance at all. Dr Farber was able to get me free biological medication to treat my psoriasis. I am a wimp and I can’t inject Humira to myself (psoriasis medication). Dr Farber met me after hours as I care for my son to inject the medication and didn’t even charge me anything. I want to give you an idea of Dr Farber’s character and what a good human being he is. He works long hours and is amazingly dedicated to his patients. It touched my heart when I found out that three weeks ago Dr Farber’s mom passed away. That same day I was there for my injection and Dr Farber didn’t reschedule my appointment- he still treated me without charge to make sure I was ok before he ran out of the office. He wanted to make sure that my psoriasis wouldn’t flare up. Not only that- my son lost his leg on a freak accident. Now he is on Medicaid and no other Dermatologist in this area accepts his insurance. Dr Farber’s office was kind enough to accept my son’s United Healthcare community and accommodate my son’s appointment. My son is on a stretcher and every time he goes to the doctors office he gets really embarrassed and sad when people look at him. Dr Farber was kind enough to wait for my son after hours. This meant so much to my son. Dr Farber treated my son like a person - no judgement. He treated him and got his rash better. Dr Farber is a great doctor and a wonderful person. He really cares about his patients. I am truly grateful for Dr Farber and his staff.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2018

flag | Submitted July 3, 2018

Dr Farber is an amazing doctor. Very attentive and detail oriented. He is extremely helpful. He removed a cyst in my private area. He didn’t judge me- just professionally and efficiently resolved the problem. I felt very comfortable with the whole procedure and was grateful for the clear explanation and options I had explained to me. The other doctor I went to made me feel like it was my fault that I got the cyst and sent me to my OBGYN. My OBGYN sent me to Dr Farber. I am so happy to have found Dr Farber. He is extremely professional and capable. Highly recommend! Wonderful Doctor!

flag | Submitted May 27, 2018

Dr. Harold F. Farber's Credentials

• Albany Medical College Of Union University (Grad. 1983)