Ratings for Dr. Paul J. Gehring

Horrible Doctor!!!! Has no empathy or compassion. Did my hysterectomy and had complications. I had to have a second surgery the next day. He wasn't on call but never came to check on me or call to see how I was doing. I spent two days in ICU and he stated he never knew about it. But the irony is that he ordered me medication after the second surgery. He never once cared about me or my situation. I would never recommend him for anything.

flag | Submitted May 12, 2017

It sounds like Dr. Gehring must have been a compassionate and competent physician at one point, but in no way did I experience this and I think that person is long gone. He missed an obvious diagnosis that my family physician caught within minutes a week later. During the appointment, he made me feel like an imbecile for even asking whether it was a possibility. His attitude is the strangest thing - he comes off as being nice, but the minute you ask a question in your appointment, be prepared to be put down in the strangest passive aggressive ways. Heaven help you if you ask him to explain something. He takes it as some sort of challenge rather than a desire for information and you *will* walk out feeling small and mistreated. His recommendations about very serious medical issues lack any basis in evidence based medicine which is extremely concerning. After trying to make this work for a couple years, I'm running (not walking) to find a new doctor.

flag | Submitted October 27, 2016

Do not go to this Dr, he was the most unpleasant person I have come in contact with in a long time. Not only was he rude, he lacks compassion, manners and flat out lied to me about treatment options, it was as if it was a huge inconvenience for him to be talking to me, after insulting me he left me sitting there for 45 minutes, I walked out and cried my eyes out, I will be filing a formal complaint. . He told me you can't take HRT if you are still menstruating

flag | Submitted September 19, 2016

I had Dr. Gehring highly recommended to me, and was amazed at my experience. I went in to consult on some contraceptive issues I was having re: nearing menopause and having some cardio health issues that created some side effect risk. He recommended that I begin using a contraceptive method with quite a high failure rate. When I voiced concern over this, he said my pregnancy risk was so low. I should just risk it. I told him that friends with menopause babies left me reluctant on that front. He said (AN EXACT QUOTE) "Cheer up. If you get pregnant, your baby can play with your friend's children. Or, you could risk stroke. Take your pick." If you aren't there for OB services or don't plan to have kids, I recommend you RUN from this office. The real kicker is the Dr. was clearly unaware that my age group has the highest rate of unintended pregnancy. When I mentioned that, he said, "No they don't." Uh, not according to JAMA, Doc! Disrespectful, lacking in basic knowledge, and a total waste of time. If there were negative stars, I'd use them. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2015

Dr Ghering delivered my second child. First pregnancy was difficult resulting in emerg c-section. I switched to ghering when I became pregnant with 2nd child. He saved this baby's life. I had a reg scheduled appt when he recognized a life-threatening complication. Shuttled me to OR for another EMERGENY c-section. I had personal relationship with neonatologist at different hospital who both had "checked out" for holiday weekend. He knew I wanted one or both of them in operating room; he tracked them down on their vacation & got them in that operating room within an hour. These 3 drs saved my child's life. After delivery I was told had dr ghering not acted so quickly my child wouldn't have made it thru wknd & I would've delivered a dead baby. What I owe this man? He is caring knowledgeable & incredible in a crisis. I thank him every day as this child is now in high school & healthy. I will now be sending my children to him. Paul is 1 of best in COUNTRY! Ask ANY OTHER DOCTOR!

flag | Submitted July 31, 2014

I've been seeing gehring for about 3 years now. In the beginning he was very nice and personable but now it seems something has changed. Every time I've gone in the wait is OVER an hour long. I was diagnosed with HPV and have had to undergo a couple very painful biopsies. (when these were done i was not informed ahead of time of what was going to happen. The second time i walked out and almost fainted from the pain. I had to lay down in the middle of the waiting room) It got worse and had a LEEP procedure done. I was given a Xanax to calm my nerves but was not prepared for what was going on. It was so painful. When it was done he told me to make an appointment for 6 months for a follow up and that was it. No "call me for any concerns" or any kind of aftercare advice. I had to look it up myself. I felt violated, betrayed and that experience truly scarred me.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2013

Referred because of an abnormal ultrasound on my uterus, but he did not really discuss it with me at all, just said I needed a hysterectomy for "abnormalities." I asked if there was any other way to diagnose what was wrong and he said no, I should just have a hysterectomy and he made light of my concerns about that and did not want to discuss any other options. His staff scheduled a hysterectomy a few weeks out and said to bring $1200 to the next visit. Went to another doctor for a second opinion and she showed and explained my ultrasound results to me, biopsied my uterine lining in her office and said at my age that a hysterectomy should be the last resort and only if there is a malignancy. I'm sure he's fine at delivering babies or whatever, but for gynecological problems, I would go to someone willing to explain things and approach treatment conservatively and with the patient's good in mind, rather than with the practice's financial health in mind.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2013

36 minutes late to appointment. Then had to wait further for a patient in labor - I guess pregnancies catch this practice off guard. I found the staff/group to be questionable also. You can get this service anywhere, and cheap. This was my first and only impression. Can't honestly speak to the knowledge, because I was not interested enough in it to have to wait indefinately for it. I believe being punctual is a way of showing you care, and are capable, and controlled enough to complete step 'A'. I will not allow anyone to operate on me who cannot get past step 'A'.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2013

This Dr fired me as a patient at 6 months of pregnancy. I'd said his bedside manner sucked because my unborn child was diagnosed with a potentially fatal birth defect and he was being very negative about it. He had recommended ending the pregnancy. I initially said yes, but had felt pressured to do so. You must understand that my husband and I had tried for 15 years to get pregnant, so this was devastating to us as I was 38 already. There was no other high risk Dr & he refused to help me find one. I pleaded with him in his office not to leave me in that position. He was very cold and woudn't. Someone later suggested I call the Medical Board, & I did. After they contacted him, he immediately referred me to another Dr willing to take on this case and sent me my medical records in which he had added some comments at the very end to describe me as a difficult patient. I have never had a problem before him, nor after. He put me thru horrible emotional stress on top of what I had.

flag | Submitted June 3, 2012

I have been going to him since 1997. He has been the only Dr that has actually listened to me and fought to find out my problems. I am currently 38yo and am trying to get pregnant for the first time and he has been doing every thing he can to try and help me reach my goal. I wish more Dr's out there were like him.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2011

Dr. Paul J. Gehring's Credentials

• University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine (Grad. 1989)