Ratings for Dr. James H. Halsey

Dr. Halsey is maybe not the most "outgoing" doctor but he has helped us when noone else could figure out what was wrong. We had an emergency after hours and called him at home. He returned our call within 10 minutes. This was 8:00 o'clock on a Friday night. He does not B.S. you with small talk but he knwos what he is doing.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2009

I also felt the "dryness" of Dr. Halsey, he was very quiet but was looking into the info I had brought him and after about 15 minutes he agreed with the doctors in California of what I had. He even had a conversation with another doctor I had seen at UAB in the neuro dept who had disagreed with Cali and personally called me to let me know that they were both on the same page now.....that made me feel alot better. I think he is a great doctor......too bad he is retiring!

flag | Submitted March 27, 2009

A1***** He is like many professionals that are truly great in there field. A dry persona but one of the best darn doctors I have ever been to. His approach may be a little different than most but it worked for me. He did in 15 minutes what many other doctors before him could not do. He truly helped me. He was caring and new what was going on with me and what I was going threw. He knew what med's to give to help control my condition. He also recommended a local doctor/former student to me which kept me from having to drive so far to see him. He is still there when I need him. To me is one in a million. I have only good words to say about the man and his staff.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2008

Very knowledgeable and not afraid to try to figure out what is wrong. I'd already been to 2 other docs who just basically threw their hands in the air and sent me on to the next doc. He knew the right tests to do, and I think that the silences are only because he's trying to access all info on the chart and what you have told him. He is the only doc I've ever been to who has a patient load of 5,000, but STILL calls me back MINUTES after I call and leave a message for him. He suggested he act as a consultant to my doc in GA so I don't have to drive so far. Which means to me that he's not out to just get the $. He is a bit dry, but hey I'm from the north and really don't care! He also said he likes to talk to intelligent patients who have done their own research, so he does not consider himself to be God. I would HIGHLY recommend him, just chill out about his bedside manor. Do you want someone to figure out what is wrong with you or get a new friend?

flag | Submitted October 30, 2008

Old school physician and approach; not very personable (or perhaps "dry" is a better description)... but very knowlegable/helpful. I had bounced around to a couple of neurologist before coming to UAB. He has been the only one to figure out what was/is going on with me. In the final analysis, I would rather have a MD that knows what he is doing rather than BS me with personality. I would recommend him to friends or family.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2008

Very poor bedside mannor and gave me the creeps if that is an appropriate medical term. I was refered to his office by a physician who did NOT KNOW HIM PERSONALLY..I've told that physician he should NOT send folks to this guy.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2008

Dr. Halsey can be abrupt and seem arrogant. He, however, is a kind and caring doctor and knowledgeable in his field. I have experienced his concern and helpfulness. He won't win awards for his personality, but if you want a knowledgeable neurologist who genuinely cares for his patients, Dr. Halsey is that doctor.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2007

he was the only doctor that knew what was going on with me and he was there to help me with my sickness no other doctors know what to do for me. the other comments are not true about the man i know i think he is the best doctor in his field

flag | Submitted July 30, 2007

He was in the room for 15 minutes before he said anything and we he saw that I was a new patient then and only then did introduce himself. He wasn't helpful in explaining what the test result showed.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2006