You may also like

Rate Dr. Charles Yu

Dr. Charles Yu's Ratings

Tank God for the internet and the ratings that people write, I value public opinion much more than other dentists specially the ones that refer you to specialists. Funny but in rating dentists does not have the a window for fees how fair are their fees. I was referred to dr. YU and when I ask about the first consultation fee I was told $185.00 but I had talked to my insurance and ask them about coverage codes, dentists do not write to insurance companies what they do they write a code # the receptionist gave me a number that it does not exists in the insurance charter but I always look for public opinions to be totally informed before I put my health and my money in somebody's hand after I looked-up the ratings and found a big number of terrible reviews about the fees, lies, misleading the head aches this dr. puts people through I called to cancel my appointment and I found another specialist right away. I thank you ALL of you people who take the time to give your valuable opinion which helps and prevents many bitter experiences. Thank you and the internet what a blessing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2906588].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 27, 2015

Wow, I am surprised to see these negative reviews.
I guess it only makes sense that it's usually the unhappy people who actually make the effort to write a review eh?
I bet that for every unhappy patient, Dr. Charlie has 100's of patients who love him!!
I know because I have been going to Dr. Charlie for years, 3-4 times per year for my cleanings, and they are the best ever!!
Every other patient that i see there seems to be super-happy and thankful of the service as well.
I started off going about once a week, but after about the 3rd or 4th time, he told me that i should only need to come every 3 months, and that as long as i keep regular, i shouldn't need to come more than that or even go through surgery to keep my gums healthy.

I have been to many dentists and hygienists over the years, and Dr. Charlie is the most skilled and gentle; yes, Dr. Charlie does the cleanings himself!!

I always knew there was something wrong with my gums, but it wasn't until i asked my family dentist about my concerns, that i was referred to the specialist. Dr Charlie helped me to understand what my problem was, and help me make a plan to treat that problem and prevent that problem from coming back.

I will admit that Dr. Charlie is expensive, but you pay for what you get.
I am smart enough to pay for quality rather than waste my money and pay for cheaper but lower-quality care; the health of my teeth and gums are important to me!!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2833107].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 10, 2015

Wowwww!!!! I can’t believe this is the guy I just saw. I wished I read all the reviews below before I went to Dr. Charles Yu. It was my dentist from the Empire Dental recommendation to see him, he said Dr. Charles is good. Yes, he is good at taking your wallet! When I made the appointment that I ask how much the charges and the receptionist say there’s no charges until they give me the estimate. The 2 receptionist gave me a medical history form to fill out and I checked carefully that there were no written statement require payments of $285 for the visit.

Normally, when I visit a clinic or I call the clinic for the 1st time. The receptionist are honest and upfront of their charges that they would tell me right away to get my agreement before coming to their clinic or they would give me a written statement to agree to pay for the visit but Dr. Charles Yu clinic will surprise you after his 5 mins sales pitch. I actually timed him. He spent 5 mins to sketch a picture and 5 mins brags about his family own business, he knows my doctor (scary), he got connections and he wish me a Happy Chinese New Year….thank you very much for your $285 easy money.

I was shocked when his receptionist Shasha show me the bill and I refused to pay because they didn’t get my approval. By law, I have the right to refuse to pay when there was no written agreement. I knew right away there’s going to be a scam and I got my recording ready. Shasha wasn’t very good when she try to scam and she try every way to trick me to sign her papers like she said my insurance will be paying for them but she was full of shit. No insurance is going to pay $285 for a 5 min picture when the patient didn’t even get a copy. Shasha tried to blame my dentist to say he mislead me that he should be responsible for my payment. She kept lying, being rude, arguing and our conversation got intense. Dr. Charles were hiding at the corner watching the show and he didn’t have the courage to face me.

Finally, his receptionist agree that I will not be charge for the miscommunication and she ask me to sign the pink invoice for the company record. I told her I will not sign unless I get a written statement. When I got home, Dr. Charles contacted me to dishonor the agreement that I had with the receptionist. He expects my payment when he have done nothing. I will show the judge my evidence if he wants to go to court and it’s going to his embarrassment and shame at the court house.

I hope you all learn a lesson. When someone try to scam you, you have to be bold and firm to stand up for your rights. The reason he got away with so many scams is because no one ever stood up to him. Dr. Charles Yu is the perfect candidate for private investigation because his business is questionable. When you see all the reviews that everybody says about him. It has to be the facts! You can check him out at U of A because he is the Clinical Professor Department of Dentistry. I think everyone should spread the word to warn others because so many incident people got ripped off from this guy. When the economy is already very tough that people are struggling for finding work and this guy is slicing our wallets apart and he actually feels very proud of his work. Good bye to my dentist! Empire Dental have just lost a client. I wonder how much commissions they get for sending people to Dr. Charles Yu business?

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2730256].votes_count ]]

Submitted Feb. 21, 2015

Recommended by my dentist. Dr. Yu seems to be well versed in perio, although I have fortunately only gone for cleaning. He has a sense of humor. Like others who have left comments, I agree that his charges are excessive. His staff run hot and cold - I've had concerns about billing and the response has either been along the lines of "yeah, well, that's the way it is" or "what do you find unfair - let's see if something can be done". The hygienists have been pleasant.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2717967].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Feb. 11, 2015

Went for a tooth extraction to Dr Yu instead he gave me a lecture on cleaning my teeth then charged me over $400 for something I didn't ask for never did get my tooth pulled had to go to another dentist NEVER GO TO THIS GUY while doing the lecture he mentioned he needed to make more money they his root canal brother next door.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2689451].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Jan. 19, 2015

Less than 3 min. Examination, charged me 285$, He is a real money robber.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][2615301].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 11, 2014

Doctor. Charles Yu is very unprofessional he'll talk to other patients in the other room regarding your case. I CAME IN FROM OUT TOWN FOR EXAM & HE WAS TELLING THE OTHER PATIENT REGARDING MY CASE. I LEFT HE'S OFFICE VERY UNHAPPY. He's over price for his treatments. he is very old school. This doctor is out to gouge for money for unnecessary surgery. NOT RECOMMENDED!!! THE DOCTOR IS VERY OVERPRICED. HE SHOULDN'T BE ALLOW TO PRACTICED WITH SUCH MANNERS.

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1054451].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 12, 2013

very rude to staff, unprofessional, very old fart,the front staff are very polite & very helpful.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1054450].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 6, 2013

Just the first appt was $430 for est. Dr Yu started a treatment for root scale (cleaning) and charged $1800 just for cleaning. It was 4 sessions but only 2 sessions for cleaning, he was there only in the last session. He started first session on November 2012 and the 4th one was on January 2013, just because the last session was after December 2012 he charged me $100 estra. I have (2) dental insurances which combined covered $1,400 (MAX) for this procedure. 3 months after the cleaning he scheduled a follow up appointment. My surprise was that they charged for the follow up appointment as it was a "periodontal surgery" to the insurances, just to get more money from them.. ..When I asked the receptionist why they are charging for a surgery she told me that it is common practice because my insurances won't cover a follow up appointment. This Dr. just want to take all the money he can..worst is that I still have the filling and the "treatment" did not improve it..:( Not recommended!!!!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1054449].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 30, 2013

Beware - this doctor is out to gouge you. His estimate was rejected by Insurance company as OVERPRICED. I sought second opinion and found that Dr. Yu recommended an UNNECESSARY PROCEDURE. The problem was fixed using a less painful, less intrusive procedure at less than half the cost estimated by Dr. Yu. Second Problem is his staff who are rude and uncooperative. Because the insurance company rejected part of his examination fee claim as it was overpriced, I provided alternate insurance to cover the balance. Their staff neglected to place the secondary claim, then sent the bill to collection without contacting me at all.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1054457].votes_count ]]