Ratings for Dr. Mortimer Katz

Dr Mortimer died on Oct 21, 2013. http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nationalpost/obituary.aspx?n=mortimer-katz&pid=167673175

flag | Submitted November 6, 2013

I find it appalling that College of Physicians and Surgeons would ruin a Doctor’s reputation by posting information online about an investigation that is ongoing or that this website would allow this information to be available. Until allegations have been investigated and proven to be malicious they are nothing but a tool to be used by the vengeful. It is important to remember that a forum such as “Rate MDs.com” is most often used by those who wish to complain and rarely by those who wish to give compliments. Such meaningless words as “crusty old codger, arrogant, rude, it seems to bother him when”, have no place where responsible adults rate their physicians. I have been a patient of Dr. Katz for over 30 years and find him eccentric yes, but also to be a very effective physician.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2013

According to ruling by College of Physicians and Surgeons, Dr. Katz's practice is now restricted. No intradermal food allergy testing and he is to be supervised. http://www.cpso.on.ca/publicregister/details.aspx?view=5&id=%2013408

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Crusty old codger. Got mad at me because I opted not to give my 8 year old steroid inhaler not intended for children. Got mad at me for listening to Pharmacist. WAY over prescribed antibiotics for my kid. Paid $15 dollars for materials that are dated 1977 and tells me to only use 1 teaspoon of laundry detergent to wash my clothes (what that had to do with my sons food allergies is still a mystery). I tried to ask questions and gets mad that I "saved my questions" to ask him in person. He tells me he does not have time for that. I should call him and as he tells me this, hands me a piece of paper saying call me and if I feel the information is too involved, I will arbitrarily send you a bill..which is not covered by OHIP. Decided not to return for follow up visits in favour of another Dr. The use of profane lanquage in front of an 8 year old when he spoke about the pharmacist was a little over the top. Time for him to retire.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2013

i was deathly ill as a child untill i was sent to katz. within six months of his shots i became better and stuck with the shots for 20 years. never had a reaction to his medicine. ignore people that whine about his methods, he's the only doc i know that can cure a sinus infection-only 1 third of oral antibiotics reach your sinus-that's why he does that-take the yougourt pills with it and you'll be o.k. he is a little odd-but brilliant people usually are-he was always nice to me-wouldn't hesitate to send people to him.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2012

Dr. Katz was friendly and helpful. I found that he "over prescribed" antibiotics. I was put on a course that lasted over 2 weeks and took 10 capsules daily. I'm still rebuilding the flora in my stomach. He provides a lot of printed information that could be obtained much more easily and up to date on a number of internet site. He also charges for the printed documentation. I'm satisfied with the treatment I received and am impressed by the longevity of Dr. Katz's career!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2012

Dr Katz is old school and fairly eccentric. He can be gruff and arrogant, but he is also kind and demonstrates a genuine commitment to my welfare. He once said to me that "I find patients get better faster if I see them when they START to get sick. So please call me off hours if you have any questions about this medication". He once gave me a handout stating "Medication is supposed to make you feel better, not sicker. If you do not feel better in two days, call me". He tends to use high doses of antibiotics which is not fashionable at present - but I get better rather than dragging along with sinus infections for months at a time. He limits his practice to allergic/respiratory issues and knows his stuff thoroughly. He cleared up my miserable poison ivy outbreak in 3 days flat, using pregnosone administered according to a careful regime, rather than handing out prescription itch cream as is usual. He opened the first allergy clinic in Ottawa at the Civic Hospital in 1963.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2012

Went for an allergy test and he ask me to remove all my clothes. He did not provide anything to cover myself so I refuse to do it. Extremely rude, I have to sit and wait for him to learn how to use his new computer. Will never see this man again.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2012

Dr. Katz is old school. Literally. He diagnosed food allergies that were undetected by other allergists, and left me chronically ill for almost twenty-five years. He was genuinely caring and helpful. He has a dry sense of humour. If you get it, you will find him fun. He is a gruff, intelligent man, and I found him a delight. My health has greatly improved since my first visit, and I'm happy that he was recommended to me.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2012

I think as a doctor he is very knowledgeable however he is extremely arrogant. He talked to me like I was an idiot when I just asked him very simple questions and he said that he wanted to print out information for me but if I couldn't afford the cost that he would waive his fees, but I got invoices for all my appointments. He was late for each appointment I had. I had a really hard time being his patient but he did give me some insight as to why I've been sick for my entire life. I'm apparently allergic to everything he's tested me for. I just think he needs to retire, this man is so old he walked with the dinosaurs. I think he is just very old fashioned in the way he interacts with patients.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2012