Ratings for Dr. Bonnie L. Bermas

I am glad to read the other comments on Dr Bermas' manner - I've never felt so shaken after a doctor visit. I went to her because she helped a friend with RA, but I never saw anything even remotely helpful - in fact she gave actively harmful, unscientific superstitious advice and was prickly and hostile. Based on discussion of my symptoms (she wouldn't even open my summary of test results), she made up her mind and told me that my problem is that I'm "Type A" (that is a direct quote, bizarrely). She launched into a whole theory of Type A causing chronic fatigue, which... was odd and unscientific and had more than a little tinge of medical sexism. I had to lean over her desk, open my test results and point and ask a specific question before she's even look at the rest results, but it didn't change her wacky diagnosis of Type A chronic fatigue. I asked about Lyme testing, and she abruptly told me that if I had one negative test I should accept it and stop asking about Lyme. (Which is also not medically sound - 30 seconds on the CDC page for Lyme says that the very hallmark of Lyme tests are false negatives.) I very deferentially (she's prickly!) said that the only reason I even brought it up was that my family member had Lyme, and got a number of false negatives - and she got visibly and audibly angry, I guess that I was contradicting her, even so gently and deferentially? I've never had a doctor get angry before, it was really unsettling. She basically kicked me out with her "Type A" diagnosis and no treatment plan (since that condition is made-up and unscientific). For the record, it was Lyme the whole time. I do actually expect a rheumatologist to know the basics of Lyme because it's such a key thing to rule out because Lyme presents like so many rheumatological conditions -- and because it was all over the news that it was a year with extremely high risk of Lyme infection, so she could have spent 3 minutes brushing up on it. I was pretty shocked by Bonnie Bermas, her grasp of science, her professionalism, and her terrible interpersonal skills.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

After struggling with mysterious symptoms for quite some time, I was referred to Dr. Bermas. My spouse went with me because we were both quite worried. We were shocked at how cross and unhelpful she was. My spouse is an RN and had kept some records to show a cyclical pattern to my symptoms. Dr. Bermas wouldn't even look at them. My blood work had already shown unmistakeable signs of autoimmune disease (hence the referral), but Dr. Bermas seemed dismissive. "Get used to pain," she casually told me. "You will have to live with it the rest of your life." I have to say, though, that on other occasions she seemed very concerned and kind. I never knew from appointment to appointment what to expect. One time she would warmly put her hand on mine and say she understood how I was suffering. The next time, she would grumpily say, "Yes, yes, so you have pain. We've established that. Your disease is under control. The blood work proves that. I don't know what else I can do for you. Come back in three months." I almost said, "For what? To be berated by you again?" I changed doctors and couldn't be happier. When you suffer from a lifelong debilitating illness, you need to partner with your care-giver and figure out a way forward. For me, having a doctor who listens carefully and answers my questions and suggests possible solutions makes all the difference. Dr. Bermas was that doctor maybe 25 percent of the time. The other 75 percent of the time, I had the impression that I was imposing on her by taking up her valuable time.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2016

Dr. Bermas is a fantastic physician. I am a physician at the Brigham, and I see her because she is so knowledgable and empathetic.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2016

I saw Dr. Bermas today and had some reservations after reading some of the reviews on this page. However, Dr. Bermas was wonderful. She met with me for an extended period of time, listened intently to all my concerns, was kind, completed a examination and ordered blood work. She took additional time at the end of the appointment to review all that we discussed and asked multiple times if I had any additional questions. She also walked me to the front desk. Dr. Bermas is knowledgeable, top in her field and a wonderful person and Dr.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2015

Do not waste you time seeing Dr Bermas - absolutely a waste of time. Horrible bedside manner.

flag | Submitted May 21, 2015

Unless you are pregnant with Lupus, I would not recommend wasting your time with Dr. Bermas. She was dismissive of my concerns, and said "I can tell by looking at you now, you do not have " specific autoimmune disease" (which I will not state here). This is a disease that is very strongly linked to family history, and one that I had both signs and symptoms of, and one that almost always needs bloodwork. She did not take blood! My family members were irate and aghast in hearing this. I was referred to her, and felt it was a waste of my time to even see her. Her only recommendation was for me to do stretching, which I had already indicated I was receiving physical therapy. POOR LISTENING SKILLS!

flag | Submitted May 13, 2015

Did not get to experience her knowledge bc it seemed she did not care at all!!! I was very ill and she made me feel as if I were a fake. Such an odd personality - maybe on the spectrum. Research is likely her strength as bedside manner and empathy are zero.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2015

flag | Submitted August 10, 2014

I had been to more doctors than I can count until I finally saw Dr. Bermas. If you are suffering from Lupus, this is the doctor you need to see. She is on top of the very latest research and is working with the most cutting edge treatments. I thought that I was going to have to wait months to get an appointment with her but she just squeezed me right in.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2014

I've been seeing Dr Bermas for the past 15 years and it is like she is part of our family. She is always completely on top of my medications and condition, and is available via email or phone any time. More importantly, she displays that unique compassion and bedside manner that shows that she really cares. She has a remarkable memory and always seems to recall every detail of what is going on with my kids, my parents, and the everyday challenges of life.

Dr. Bonnie L. Bermas's Credentials

• Mount Sinai School Of Medicine Of City University Of New York (Grad. 1986)