Ratings for Dr. Mary-Ann Hudec

I was suffering from PPD after the birth of our daughter in 2005. I was sent to see the peri-natal care staff at the IWK and in turn, I had to see Dr. Hudec. I cannot tell how horrid that woman was, and probably still is. I was visibly upset and suffering from a bad c-section infection. She started by saying all I wanted was a 'quick fix' pill, when in actuality I was against most medications. She then grilled me about my childhood, quit abruptly, and wouldn't let me finish my sentences. She then told me I WASN'T suffering from PPD, that I was narcissistic, I needed to put myself on the back burner and get a grip on reality. I went to several other specialists after this and I did indeed have PPD. A public health nurse wanted to help me draft a letter of complaint re: Dr. Hudec's basic attack on me, but I was too meek and mild back then. I regret it. She's a horrible doctor. No bedside manner. No compassion toward new mothers and shouldn't be in practice.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2013

During the initial visit with her I felt like I had been punched in the face. I felt attacked. She made very judgemental comments and asked very odd questions. I think she was purposely being confrontational to provoke a reaction from me. I felt manipulated. Cried my eyes out. I almost didn’t go back. After the first visit her demeanour improved. I never found that she really wanted to get to the root of things but she was excellent with the medication aspect of things. She has certainly never had to deal with her own mental health issues and therefore seems unable to truly relate to her patients. If you want to find a good medication combination for yourself she is your girl. If you want to root out the underlying issues you had better go elsewhere.

flag | Submitted October 25, 2011

Saw Dr. Hudec twice for post partum and she was fantastic. I recovered quickly and completely. She always listened and didn't rush through the appointments. She's very upbeat which is a relief when you have depression. Highly recommended!!

flag | Submitted September 27, 2011

Very very poor psychiatrist. Through out my care all she was throw one kind of pill at me after another. Always felt much worse after seeing her. Finally stopped seeing her after she dissmissed my abortion, as nothing to even think about.

flag | Submitted August 3, 2010

I have been seeing Dr. Hudec for more than 5 yrs now ... She is awesome, both in advice and professionalism. I find she keeps up to date with both the mental health field and life in general. I would highly recommend her.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2010

appears to have few skills in psychotherapy. good with assessing patient needs regarding drugs.

flag | Submitted April 2, 2010

I had the exact same experience as 05/19/08 above. Exact same. Keep in mind when you see Dr Hudec at the IWK, it's for very serious (or potentially) problems, so her practice is a bit like fire fighting that way. She is a reproductive mental health specialist who does her best to get your disorder under control, then sets you up with a regular Psychiatrist.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2009

I think Dr. Hudec is very professional and I respect her advice and put it to use. She does not over medicate, she is not quick to prescribe...she wants you to look internally and figure out what is best for you because everyone is different. I would recommend her to anyone that has gone through depression during pregnancy or PPD.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2009

Didn't listen to me, had nurse explain my "case" rather than take the time to talk to me. Very judgmental, quick to prescribe rather than fix the problem at hand. Where I wasn't happy with her "medication quick fix" I went to a self help book and feel 1000 times better....

flag | Submitted September 11, 2008

Dr. Hudec is the best. I have been seeing her for 8 years. She has seen me through a huge personal crisis and sometimes when things don't seem so bleak we just talk. If I leave a message for her to call me she calls. She will tell you like it is if you're not doing enough to help yourself. For Pyschiatry to be effective it takes two. Also the most down-to-earth professional I have ever meant.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2008