Ratings for Dr. Monica K. Martin

Dr Martin saved my life in many ways! She is a true blessing to me and I am very lucky to have her as my primary care physician!

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

Nothing good to say. Had one visit that was a total waste of time. I was never examined. Just talked. Staff is in a hurry to get you out of the office. I had a nice thing about getting my prescriptions monthly. She went out of her way to ruin that. Felt like she was judging me with everything I was saying. I don't need to be judged. I am moving on to another DR. After the office visit with Dr. Martin I will tell the new DR. what I am expecting and if he can't meet those goals I am prepared to walk out on him as well. Oh another thing I had various test done like blood work etc and I have no clue what the results are. Part of that is me since I don't want to talk to her or anyone of her staff. I wish her well.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2016

Dr. Martin saved my life. I went to her (first visit) after having the flu and shortness of breath. She suggested that I go to the ER to get checked out and it turned out I had a pulmonary embolism. She listened to me as I told her about the flu and about a long flight I'd taken and heard all of my warning signals. She visited me in my hospital room at 8 am the next day and at 9 am on my 2nd day and day of discharge. She has a wonderful bedside manner, makes sure I understood everything, answered all my questions, and has been compassionate all the way. She's been on time with follow-up visits, and has yet to "talk down to me". If it wasn't for Dr. Martin, I would not be here to write this.

flag | Submitted February 2, 2013

I will say this - I left her office in tears. I am so glad to read some of the other comments because it confirmed my experience. Will not return.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2011

I was a patient of Dr. Martin for several years until I finally realized that as long as I'm paying her for professional services, I should expect what's BEST for me. She did not serve me in that capacity. Dr. Martin may be skilled as a medical physician, but is very condescending, insulting, impatient, does not truly listen to or understand a patient's needs. She is uncomfortable to be around and should review her bedside manner or take a pyschology class again. I now am treated by a wonderful physician who listens to my concerns, addresses them with her medical expertise and respect, spends as much time with me as needed, and is always open to discussion and new ideas. That, people, is what we deserve! Move on ...

flag | Submitted October 31, 2011

Both my husband and I are happy that we were referred to Dr. Martin. She is knowledgeable and helpful, and always listens to all our concerns. I would refer any one of my family and friends to her.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2010

I feel limited with the polite and helpful and legally responsible stuff below...so I can't really be detailed. She is an okay doctor.She does have those skills. So I will focus on the "Helpfulness" rating I gave her. Is the doctor approachable and nice? Answer: NO Is she rude, Answer: SOMETIMES arrogant,Answer: YES or just plain mean? Answer: SOMETIMES Does She have a good bed-side manner? Answer:DEFINITELY NO! I like my doctors to know what they are doing and to have a good bed-side manner. I chose to move on.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2009

I have been a patient of Dr. Martin for 8 years.I am an RN and as such know when a doctor is knowledgeable or not. I feel she is an excellent physician. She always gives me plenty of time and listens to all I have to say. She explains things in detail and orders only tests or medications she believes are appropriate or necessary. In her desire to make sure the patient understands things completely, she may come across to some as condescending. I don't believe that is her intent. We live in a society where today's patient wants to be more informed. Take it from a nurse when you are use to dealing in medical jargon,it becomes second nature and we often forget that others don't share our background. Medical professionals are often criticized for 'speaking a different language'. As a result we sometimes overcompensate and become too simplistic in our explanations. It is not meant as an insult rather it is an attempt to be fully understood. I believe that is Dr. Martin's intent.

flag | Submitted March 6, 2009

Very knowledgeable. Treats her patients with respect. I recommend her to everyone I know!

flag | Submitted February 10, 2009

I agree with most of the negative comments, unfortunately. I've been a patient for about 10 years, but have been too lazy to change - but I am about to. I echo the comments that she talks down to me, like a child. Like all doctors she is rushed to get through the patients as quickly as possible... still I think it is too rushed. Also, she tends to brush off or ignore questions. I am a male, and that might be part of a problem. All the other doctors in the office are female, and it seems like most of the patients are too. Maybe they do better with female patients - just a guess.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2009

Dr. Monica K. Martin's Credentials

• University Of Illinois At Chicago Health Science Center (Grad. 1988)