Ratings for Dr. Stephen Smiley

I was very nervous about root canal. Dr. Smiley helped me relax and made the experience much easier than I expected. Very little pain during the appointment and after.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

flag | Submitted April 24, 2015

I wish I had read comments below befire I went. I've had 3 root canals, but my previous office no longer takes my insurance. I've NEVER been in so much pain from a Novocain shot. I started to tear up and he jabs me again, hurt even more. Even though I had X-ray from dentist, reccomendation for root canal on that tooth, tooth was even cracked...he took a piece of ice and rubbed it on the tooth. It was excruciatingly painful. So when shots put me over the edge, I looked around, room wasn't dirty but not gleaming, antiquated, and I'm in horrible pain. He walks out! I grabbed my bag and said goodbye. Went back to Dr. Trava, had no problems except my wallet took a beating but well worth it!! If you can believe, Dr. Smiley even charged me the deductible!!! I called and asked if they were really charging me after the sub spar service and they said Yup. Lady at the desk was nice enough but I'll never step foot in this office again.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

I recently had to have a root canal redone from one that was originally done by Dr. Smiley. When the new dr went in to redo it she saw a post that she has never seen before. She informed me that what he used was what caused me to have it redone. My dentist was even able to guess who did my original root canal by looking at my X-ray. He said that about all of his patients who have been to Dr. Smiley in the past, had to have their root canal redone!!!!

flag | Submitted April 1, 2014

First of, the office needs to be modernized. Secondly, although my root canal seems to have been successful I will never go back to this Doctor because when he gave me the novocaine injection I had never felt such pain in my life! I asked him about it and he said that he knows how to get in the exact spot for fast working numbing. I prefer going to a more gentle doctor that has the technic of moving the needle around and entering more slowly. Also, this guy didn't say a thing to me upon entering the room like a normal "Hello"or "how are you today?", he instead said "I'm going to numb you up" and that was all!.....I thought it was very Creepy, especially after I had experienced the extreme pain from the shot.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2014

I went to him for a root canal. He didn't have any open appointments for over two weeks but i waited. when i went, he started on a tooth and i said "i thought it was the tooth next to that tooth". he told me i was wrong. i knew i had a cavity in one tooth and needed a root canal in the one next to it, so i figured i was mistaken but i asked him to check again. he came back and said he checked his email and my dentist said that tooth. he was wrong. the dentist never sent an email and he did a root canal on the wrong tooth. Now i have used my dental benefits for an unnecessary root canal and cannot get the work I desperately need. Obviously, I would not recommend this doctor.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2012

flag | Submitted May 3, 2012

I decided to go to this doctor after a few people I know recommended him for root canal work. He definitely knows his stuff and informs you on everything that a root canal entails throughout the whole process. The two girls that work there were both very helpful and answered any questions I had. Clean office, friendly staff and doc. Really had a good experience.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2011

Dr. Smiley is a decent endodontist. He actually takes time to ask you your medical history, which for me is very important. In general, he's helpful and his staff is friendly. One thing is disconcerting; they don't give you any paperwork with diagnosis codes or anything - very low tech when it comes to that. For me, it would be more helpful if the office staff could give me a detailed print out of what was done and how much it cost, etc. to match against my EOBs.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2009